WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Powder coat residue on gun

Boolit Buddy

Powder coat residue on gun

A friend who works on vehicles gave me some small bags of powder. I tried the blue he gave me and it was blotchy, but it coated the boolits and they shot just fine.
    Then I tried some of this black-cherry color. The boolits shot good. However, when I got the gun home I noticed what looked like leading. But I don't think that's what it was. You can see leading on your cleaning patches and I didn't see any. Just black.
    Then, when I was cleaning the slide I noticed what looked like the powder coating residue mixed with the Hoppes gun oil I put on the slides. There wasn't much and it was almost all on the right side slide, which is the side with the ejection port.
    One other thing I should mention: These boolits felt very slippery when I was working with them.
    For now I'm not going to load any more of these. I might just melt these down next time I cast. This powder looks like it has a very fine glitter in it. You can't really see it in the picture.

I'll probably go back to using my Smoke's Traffic Purple and toss this stuff. I don't like taking chances with my guns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackpc.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	311358

Boolit Master

had a similar experience, sort of

fellow shooter gave me some coated bullets--left residue in barrel after one trip to range

they got melted down and recast and PCed with Smoke's powder

all is good in the kingdom now
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. That's what I'm gonna do.

Boolit Buddy
    What caliber/ weight boolit is that?
    Looks pretty sweet.

Boolit Bub
    Ha, those boolits kinda look like that old root beer hard candie, the little ones that were shaped like barrels. Haven't had one in ages.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DanOH View Post
    What caliber/ weight boolit is that?
    Looks pretty sweet.
    Lee 95 grain round/flat nose. It is a black powder with a red tinge to it. I like how they look. May still shoot them, considering the work I've put into them. I shoot that out of a Glock 42. They also do OK out of 38's and my Rossi carbine. It is a good design. It acts like a wad cutter.

Just shoot em. I get PC buildup in the flash hider from melted PC 'dust'. It cleans off easy. If it doesn't clean easy, it's because it wasn't cured properly. If it gets 'cured' in your bore, choreboy will remove it.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Just shoot em. I get PC buildup in the flash hider from melted PC 'dust'. It cleans off easy. If it doesn't clean easy, it's because it wasn't cured properly. If it gets 'cured' in your bore, choreboy will remove it.
    That's what I've decided to do. I shot 30 of them recently and didn't notice any residue. Maybe they just needed time to cure. IDK.

Boolit Buddy
    That stuff looks almost like the finish you get with HiTek coatings. Are you certain you were given PC powder, and not that HiTek stuff?
    Just an observation....