WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a Strop to hone their edges anymore?

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes

Does anyone use a Strop to hone their edges anymore?

I have used a Strop for years on all my knives. Cooking, prep knives, hunting etc.
    The other day a friend stop by, we were cooking on the grill (charcoal of course) and I went to simply lightly hone the edge of my knife before cutting the beef. I took my strop and ran the edge a couple of times. He was watching like a hawk.
    He never saw one, didn’t even know what I was doing or why. Then started the questions…What is that, Why, How long have you done that for?
    I just thought everyone did this…do they anymore? Do you? If not, what do you do to hold the edge on your knives?
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

Boolit Master
    LOL
    Called a Leather Belt!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I use an actual double-sided barber's strop.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Don’t use it hone but I use it to finish after honing. You learn pretty quick when a straight razor is no longer sharp lol

Yes...a Barbers Leather & Nylon Strop pair. They will keep a keen edge on the blade longer but eventually I have to go back to the stones but even then finish with the strop. I have a steel that keeps the edge keen longer too but the strop is always the last step.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I used my dads until I left home in the 70's. He left it to me when he passed in 07. It still works just as well.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I use a leather barber’s strop with a little Tripoli compound rubbed on the rough side. I also use a diamond ez-lap to dress up edges.

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    Thank you all for verifying I am not crazy. I just knew I couldn’t be the only one out there. It just works and I for one will stick to the tried and true methods.
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sailcaptain View Post
    Thank you all for verifying I am not crazy. I just knew I couldn’t be the only one out there. It just works and I for one will stick to the tried and true methods.
    None of this verifies you are not crazy. This does verify you have company......................................
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I use honing compound on a 1/2" thick by 2" by 36" felt strip and then a leather belt to strop.

I have a cheap double strop I bought from BudK for under 25$.

Knives that I care about get polished on it after touching up with a steel.

It is actually two strops on a single hanger.
    One is plastic and has ridges. I coated it with some metal polish I bought from Amazon.

The other is leather and got treated with some polish made for sharpening and polishing stainless steel.

Still does a good job on high carbon, just makes stainless a bit less painful.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    A strop was the only way I could get a razor edge, at first. Now, it's like training wheels.

I use my razor right off the stone, but I use a strop to refresh/realign the edge between sharpenings. That's nearly the only thing I do with a strop, anymore, besides for buffing and polishing things that aren't edges.

I need to make one. When I worked in the rifle shop I'd use the buffing wheel we had for stropping but now that I don't have that it's time to have a real strop.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple I use both treated and untreated.

I also have a piece of hard maple with the 2 end grain sides finished flat one side is treated with sinichrome and the other yellow diamond. The end grain is a very good surface and holds compounds very good. In a pinch jewelers rouge can be rubbed in. This is a great intermediate between stones and the strops

Boolit Master

yes I use one for razor only, on rare occasions I use that to shave. My kitchen etc knives dont need to be that sharp.

Boolit Master
    My kitchen knives are sharp enough to shave without stropping. Just not smooth enough I'd want to do it every day. The particular arkansas stone and technique I use for my razor leaves it sharp and smooth enough to shave. I sometimes strop it a few times against the edge of my hand, after. But most of the time I just shave right off the stone! It's a forgotten art, how to do that. I use only the arkansas stone to do all the sharpening, not just to finish after using something else.

Leather belt, and Ihave a piece of leather on my workbench that I use flat on a piece of marble, charged with Flitz metal polish.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I still use them, have a couple factory made ones and a bunch of homemade, they keep my knives, wood chisels, head knives, gravers sharp and smooth. I actually strop my round knife before every use. those need to be sharper than sharp to use for all the neat leather working tricks you can use them for. All my kitchen/butcher/sheath/pocket knives get stoned and kept with a steel, I’ll hit the sheath and pocket knives just to smooth them up or if I just want it just a bit better than it was. So you are definitely not alone, but in a VERY small group. Most people don’t know how to sharpen a knife, fewer can use a steel, even fewer can correctly use a steel or keep a sharpening stone square. I’ve had to train lots of new staff to keep a knife and usually have to start from absolute scratch, it’s sad, if cheap serrated knives disappeared I fear they might starve to death.

I use strops as a final finish after using a stone on my knives. I use traditional arkansas and diamond stones, all freehand. I then strop. Depending on the desired end result, I use either a plain strop or a treated strop. I also will use my palm as a strop for a quick touch up during whittling.

Boolit Master
    A bit late, but last year I made my own strop out of a piece of latigo strap. Wow, it really puts a finish on a blade.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast