MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $230 Hi point 10mm auto

Boolit Master

$230 Hi point 10mm auto

I just saw a shop not too far from me has new Hi point semi autos in stock and there are lots $229, in 380, 9mm and 10mm. has anyone got opinions on these?
    I wouldn't mind having a brand new 10 shot semi auto with about 5" barrel that will shoot a 165 grain gold dot hand load at 1300 fps for about $250 out the door.

Boolit Master

If I ever find one locally I will get one. Would like a 10mm carbine from them also.

They are pretty crude. Look like a brick with a grip attached but they usually go BANG when you pull the trigger. Fine for just messing around with. I'd not want one for anything more than that though.

Boolit Master

I have a 9mm carbine. I have shot several different brands of 9mm carbines that guys at the range own and the HI Point does just as good a job as any of them for a lot less money, plus it feeds any boolit I throw at it.
    Last edited by Finster101; 03-08-2023 at 10:13 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The shop where I work doesn't carry Hi-Point anymore...Too many of them came back broken and shuttling that crap back and forth to the mothership for people all the time became a hassle.

They're chunky, heavy, crude, and have very low mag capacity relative to their size. They are inexpensive, though, so at least there's that.

A while back a guy transferred in a 10mm. Thing was a brick and looked even more poorly made than their 9mm models, if that's possible. There is no way I would shoot full-power 10mm through that thing. Looked like it'd only take about a mag of hot stuff before it tore itself apart.

Yeah, they're not for me. I guess pay your money and take your chances...
    Last edited by kerplode; 03-08-2023 at 09:55 PM.

Mine is a pawn shop find, paid 100$ for it as the mag release was broken and it had a few small issues.

3 days later I called the company, they sent me the part, a spare mag and a mag loader and refused to take my credit card info.

Installed the part in less than 10 minutes.

Using the new mag as a guide I adjusted the feed lips on the mag that came with it.
    First trip to the range no failures at all of any kind. (Hand cycled was picking up a cartridge maybe 50% of the time before the tweaks)

A cleaning and oiling and it performed and still performs flawlessly. Pretty is as pretty does.
    May be an ugly pistol but if it works like that it can be ugly.

I also have a carbine in 9mm, .40sw, and .45acp. The .40 is protecting my grandchildren. Which I also bought used dang cheap. With the FFL it was 150$ I think off gunbroker.

If I needed more I would buy more for sure. But for handguns I prefer .32sw longs or .22mag.

If they made a carbine in .38 special or .357 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Don't really see much point in the .380 in a carbine. 9mm works fine.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    I have one, in 45 acp. I would suggest see if you can dry fire it. I hate the trigger the most.

Boolit Master
    I brought my High Point 995 (.9mm) carbine to the range today. The trigger needed a file to remove the point at the tip (High Point is sending me another trigger that they altered). The carbine wasn't expensive and came with an equally inexpensive scope that I used today. It's clunky, heavy, but solid, and as accurate as I can make it. I am also interested in their handguns.

$230 Hi point 10mm auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve only owned this one. I’ve modified it a little.
    I’d buy another one based on this one’s performance.
    Not fancy or ergonomic but by golly it works.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the carbine in 45acp, love it. Heavy and a terrible trigger, but never fails to go bang and is acceptably accurate. For what it is, it's an exceptional value.

Really wish they'd do a carbine in 30 carbine... that would be SA-WEET indeed.

Chris

Boolit Master

we bought our first one when president Obama caused 22 ammo to become scarce. i wanted a little rifle i could reload for and have ammo for no matter what. i traded it off and then bought one cheap that needed a rebuild. i was going to buy parts and called the factory in ohio to order a bolt and other parts and was informed that if i returned the gun and paid the postage they would rebuild it and return it right to my door and send an extra 10 round magazine to help pay my postage for sending it in. no ffl nonsense necessary. now the paperwork that came back with it has the warning against cast bullet shooting and says you need an original sales slip for the warranty work. i believe this is the new owners policy as high point is no longer owned by its founder. Anyway it works well now , i have only shot cast through it, my kid loves it, we are happy campers. it is a 995

If you wrap your trigger finger with a couple of turns of electrical tape, you can shoot it a long time comfortably.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy

They're heavy and blocky but they generally shoot. I owned a 9mm many years ago. Apparently they're built like a tank because I watched a couple torture tests on Youtube and the only way they could get a catastrophic failure was to actually chamber a substantially overcharged round, fill the barrel with powder and drive a bolt into the muzzle. The grips always gave me the feeling of super cheap but it never quit on me. It does have pretty low capacity for the size but if you run out of ammo, you can use it as a formidable club or hurl it at the intended target.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll pass. My only experience with a Hi Point was test firing one in .40S&W that my stepdad was going to buy.

It only fed by hand cycling the action. Once the round in the chamber fired, it was jammed hard. Enough for me to not want to spend any money on one.

Robert

Boolit Master

They were a fairly popular dirtbag gun that I assisted our forensic techs in test firing when they came in as evidence, but they've dropped to nearly zero in favor of the Polymer 80% and other Gen 3 Glock clones. Provided the mags weren't damaged, they typically ran

They're a blowback action, which has historically been reserved for little rounds .380 and down. If you're going to only have the mass of the slide and the recoil spring keeping the action closed, and you plan to shoot 10mm in it, you're going to need the mass of the Titanic coupled with a suspension coil off a Humvee. That's a level of crude I find pretty unattractive.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

I’ve only owned this one. I’ve modified it a little.
    I’d buy another one based on this one’s performance.
    Not fancy or ergonomic but by golly it works.

Is the strap on the back where you tie the anchor rope ? How big is the boat ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    They were a fairly popular dirtbag gun that I assisted our forensic techs in test firing when they came in as evidence, but they've dropped to nearly zero in favor of the Polymer 80% and other Gen 3 Glock clones. Provided the mags weren't damaged, they typically ran
    What guns are coming off the street mostly these days? Based on what I see around here I would think SCCY or Taurus G2/G3 would be number one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Like 'em or hate 'em, there's always rave reviews on Hi-Point's factory service. Story after story about parts received or repairs made at no cost.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Is the strap on the back where you tie the anchor rope ? How big is the boat ?
    Come on now Eddie-- don't mess with Texas! That was a modification he invented to make for easy retraction of the slide. Received much praise when first displayed a year or two ago. To misquote Forrest Gump, "My mama always said, "Ugly is as ugly does". If you ever try to pull the slide back on one of these beauties you'll appreciate the original idea of the loop. Besides, if it was meant to be an anchor I'm sure it would be stainless.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

I got one of the trainers!

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I got one of the trainers!

That front chamber blow from an overload?
    That loop on my Hipoint is also for the grappling rope attachment!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast