Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Primers for cast bullets

Boolit Buddy

Primers for cast bullets

Is there a "best" primer for cast bullet loads? When I first started loading lead bullets, I loaded all the major brands to find out what shot the most accurate. Of all the ones I tried, Remington 9. 1/2 show the most consistent accuracy, with CCI being a close runner-up. That was long before the advent of primers from Russia, Mexico and a host of other places.

Boolit Mold
    Just going to tag along on this one. I would be interested in this info. Currently use CCI primers for all my cast loads, as this is all that has been available around here.

Chuck S.

I’ve had great success with both Remington Pistol primers and all CCI pistol and rifle primers. One word of caution is that mil-spec primers are generally a lot more firm than the regular ones, so make sure you use them with firearms that would often rough up the other varieties.

Boolit Master

I have not found any that have not worked well.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Well, it all depends on everything else.
    For the .375x45-70 it needed a mag primer to light off a compressed charge of 760 under a 283 grainer.
    CCI-250 primers worked great with the usual groups being about 2 1/2" inches at 200 yards.

Boolit Master
    I can bench a 10 shot 1 1/2'' group with my 19-3 with different boolits 125-200 grain 28 special almost every time I go to the range. I have seen no difference in primers. I tried Federal Gold match primers and still no difference. I mostly use Winchester or Remington. I would be happy to find some more Tula. I have never had a problem with any brand of primers other than a light strike. I have had a few duds over the years. Seems like CCI may be the more reliable but I don't turn my nose up at any.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 03-08-2023 at 05:32 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I like my revolvers to go bang and not click. Federal for me.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I use several of the brands, and find they all work fine. However, if you change primers for a particular load, you will sometimes see a difference in accuracy. From what I have seen, I think the differences in accuracy are due to a slight shift in the accuracy point for a particular bullet and gunpowder. That is, if you have a particularly sweet load and change primers you might want to re-do the load ladder to find the new sweet spot.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Very slight difference only. I have found a little better accuracy with the match primers, but, Winchester std primers do as well most of the time. Federal std seem to be less consistent. The difference is in the noise if you aren't being equally careful with bullet selection and load development.

Boolit Master

I use and have for years the Rem 9 1/2. They had a good rep years ago locally at least. The old red and green box. They were precompressed and known to be more consistant, 50's/60's stuff. I think charli b is dead on about the noise-noise floor. These days I take whatever I can find, and I'm not going to shoot up cans of powder to prove the point. On a side note, Rems are in a small box and take up a lot less shelf space.

Boolit Bub
    Hello:
    Question - with remingtons bankruptcy going out of business etc.
    Did somebody purchase remingtons reloading production and continue to manufacture slugs and primers etc. ?
    I know OUTDOOR VISTA bought the gun manufacture line but that was all i thought ?
    Head Shot

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried all different kinds of primers over the years to make the best load for cast military matches. Standard primers, match primers, and magnum primers from all the big name companies. I have discovered that my most consistent and what groups the tightest is Winchester standard primers. The Winnie standard pistol primers consistently give me the tightest groups for my 9mm used for USPSA shoots.

Boolit Master
    Vista bought the Remington ammunition line. From what I could tell that included their primer production. Have not seen any Rem primers since pre-COVID.

A separate holding company bought the Remington firearms business and they are now producing a few models. My impression of the press releases is the holding company had a few firearms enthusiasts near the top of their management who wanted to 'rescue' the Remington brand of firearms. They have had a hard time due to the 'rules' set forth in the acquisition by the union.

Ruger bought the Marlin firearms business and are also making a few models.

Boolit Buddy
    I always liked Winchester the best.
    Now days I shoot what I can find, and try to find a bargain where I can.