Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebound hammer fix on Winchester/Miroku - again

It seems the goal is to get the gun closer to an original. With that being said why not simply sell your gun and buy an original 1892? Especially if you were to consider spending a bunch to have the gun converted. Sure you would have to choose a different cartridge besides the .357 but then again, if closer to original is what you are after, then why not go with an original cartridge as well.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If Turnbull offered just the service of modifying Winchesters to the original firing system without cosmetic work they would be instantly flooded with orders.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If Turnbull offered just the service of modifying Winchesters to the original firing system without cosmetic work they would be instantly flooded with orders.
    It is probly not worth their time.

I have no problem with the new hammer system. In fact, I requested that it be used in my 50-110 from Turnbull. I have had a stroke and my rifle handling skills have been compromised and I'm more comfortable releasing the cocked hammer on a loaded rifle. With the other new rifles from Miroku,and there are quite a few, I have never had a single problem with mis-fires. Dr.C

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett View Post
    Men, my Miroku 92 in 32-20 was just returned to me from Turnbull. This gun was the Deluxe Octagon Takedown.
    Turnbull removed the rebound hammer, cut a half cock notch. original style (1) piece firing pin and color case hardened the receiver, Butt plate and magazine cap. They cost was exactly what was quoted as was the turnaround. I am highly pleased, the gun turns heads and has a lot better feel to the action.
    I think I speak for everyone when I say, I'd like to see pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by doccash View Post
    I have no problem with the new hammer system. In fact, I requested that it be used in my 50-110 from Turnbull. I have had a stroke and my rifle handling skills have been compromised and I'm more comfortable releasing the cocked hammer on a loaded rifle. With the other new rifles from Miroku,and there are quite a few, I have never had a single problem with mis-fires. Dr.C
    That is a very valid point and I appreciate you sharing that with us. I prefer the non safety model NOW, but maybe in 30 years I'll like the extra safety offered by a model with a separate safety.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Well, I imagine that what you describe would be a service that wouldn't be too difficult from any decent gunsmith.

Boolit Grand Master

When we bought our first 86 jap-chester about 12 years back, within 50 rounds it was giving us light strikes.
    Maybe the 92's are less prone but I will not stake my future on it.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by doccash View Post
    My only concern is light strikes, which my 1985 94 certainly had in stock form. If the gun goes bang every time I'm not going to lose sleep over it. The 2002 model I had (and sold like a big dummy) always smacked 'em with authority and was a good shooter. Ugh, why did I sell such a depenadable rifle? I need to contact the buyer and offer to double his money!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Well, I imagine that what you describe would be a service that wouldn't be too difficult from any decent gunsmith.
    As I understand it, doing this the right way requires fabricating new parts. The only gunsmith I ever dealt with who did this kind of work is now pushing up daisies. All the others I know of don't do anything more drastic than finish chambering, and I doubt they would want the perceived liability of deleting "safety" features and creating a new fire control system. It might actually be more cost effective to buy and sell rifles until you find one that makes you happy without modifications.

Boolit Mold
    Men, Mine looks identical to the Color Case takedown 189 shown on Turnbull's website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12