Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need a cheap 32 ball mould

Boolit Master

Need a cheap 32 ball mould

I'd like to get into the little pocket revolvers like the baby Remington but I need ammunition. I already have a .319 Lee Mould that I use for buckshot, but I've read it's a little small and I really need .321. Does anyone know of a good way to produce these little balls? I guess I could powdercoat my .319's but that seems wrong.

Boolit Master
    You might try to Beagle your mold to get a little more diameter.
    There are plenty of members that can guide you as to the best way to do that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    I'd like to get into the little pocket revolvers like the baby Remington but I need ammunition. I already have a .319 Lee Mould that I use for buckshot, but I've read it's a little small and I really need .321. Does anyone know of a good way to produce these little balls? I guess I could powdercoat my .319's but that seems wrong.
    That's what I do easy fix for a non issue , clear coat (vender here sells it)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    You might try to Beagle your mold to get a little more diameter.
    There are plenty of members that can guide you as to the best way to do that.
    I dont know beagleing - read some stuff ages ago - I used a piece of steel shim material - dont need it to conform to the cavity just fit so it separates the mold blocks - mine I pinned to the bottom of one block to hold in place - 3 thou did not leave any fins on the ball at all - after casting I put the balls in a canvas bag with some powdered graphite and tumbled them around by hand to even things out - do that with all my round ball anyway even the bought stuff - stops them corroding or whatever happens lead balls in storage -

the steel shim spacer is a quick easy fix

Boolit Grand Master

Before worrying too much, I would just try them. It would be nothing uncommon for your mold to actually be dropping .321" balls. Even if they didn't fit, I'm not sure a .321" ball would help. You generally want a ball about .005" larger than the chamber for a cap and ball.

Measure your cylinders. Have you checked the fit of the ball you have? If you shave a ring when seating the ball, you’ve got a fit. Try one cylinder in case the fit is loose, that way you eliminate any chance of a chain fire from cross-over flame. Another option is to seat a ball without powder. If it fits, remove the nipple and pound it out. If you want to try bigger, Track of the Wolf has 18 cavity. moulds in 0.330”

Boolit Master
    Track-of-The-Wolf will most likely have a correctly sized cast ball that you can try and they are reasonably priced.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Before worrying too much, I would just try them. It would be nothing uncommon for your mold to actually be dropping .321" balls. Even if they didn't fit, I'm not sure a .321" ball would help. You generally want a ball about .005" larger than the chamber for a cap and ball.
    Depending how I hold the calipers they measure between .319 and .321. I think it's worth trying. It's been a while since I cast these and these might be hardened lead. I'm not sure if pure would shrink more.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    Depending how I hold the calipers they measure between .319 and .321. I think it's worth trying. It's been a while since I cast these and these might be hardened lead. I'm not sure if pure would shrink more.
    before you buy a mold take a good hard look at commercial buckshot - cadge a couple of shotgun rounds and dismantle them for a try - if it works you will buy a can of buckshot cheaper than a mold and shoot a longtime to use it - I bought a 10 kg can of SG = 2800 round ball for my .32
    000 = .36
    00 = .33 (this is English SG) I use in my .32 caprifle which takes a bigger ball than most but its a very tight load - in a pistol it proly work unless too hard to ram?
    0 = .32 we cant get this downunder but would be ideal for my lil gun

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It's extremely important that the ball is just oversize to the cylinder enough to leave a cut ring behind when it's loaded in.
    Last thing you ever want to experience is a chain fire (TRUST ME on that !!!!) and the oversize ball creates a seal that keeps sparks away from the powder behind.
    Even with that it's a good idea to seal the ball with a bit of grease or wax

I used 00 in my Dixie 31 pocket revolvers. Shaved alot of lead off but worked.