RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ox Yoke Wonder Wads vs Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies

Boolit Buddy

Ox Yoke Wonder Wads vs Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies

A question for you cap and ball shooters.

I placed an order with Track of the Wolf for 500, 45-cal Ox Yoke Wonder Wads lubricated with Wonder Lube. What came in the mail is called "Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies Inc. Premium Lube Cap and Ball Wads." There was no discussion of the switch.

Not the first time I've placed a reloading components order and received a product of different brand or specifications, but is this a comparable product? I've read good things about the Wonder Wads and was planning to use them in a recipe that calls for them.

I am using these in a BPCR application but figured this would be the right place to ask a specific question about wads.

Probably track would be the best one to answer. Do they have a similar appearance to the ox yoke wads? I would imagine as long as the thickness is similar and are lubed for BP they will work fine. I’ve used those types of wads in my sharps over the years and don’t find that they do all that much.

I just looked at the website of Eastern Maine shooting sports and the product looks the same and appears similarly priced. I have bought from track in the past and doubt it’s anything crooked. If anything the wads frame EMSS look to be more heavily lubed.
    Last edited by R-71; 03-06-2023 at 11:28 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

They may work as well as the Ox-yoke wads, but I would NOT allow a vendor to arbitrarily change my order.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Update: Track of the Wolf responded to my question with the following information: the 500 packs are always going to be marked Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies. The email says that EMSS is the workers from Ox-Yoke, who were unable to buy the name when the company went bankrupt decades ago.

It does leave me wondering who this is: https://rmcoxyoke.com/about/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by openbook View Post
    Update: Track of the Wolf responded to my question with the following information: the 500 packs are always going to be marked Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies. The email says that EMSS is the workers from Ox-Yoke, who were unable to buy the name when the company went bankrupt decades ago.

It does leave me wondering who this is: https://rmcoxyoke.com/about/
    I trust Track of The Wolf to give you a product that is as good, if not superior to what you ordered.........

Boolit Master
    I would hope that TOW would change their web site to indicate the 'new' product. But, for that product, I would not care what the label was on it. Lubed felt is lubed felt.

They do make a small difference for me in the muzzle loader shooting PP bullets. I can get a couple more shots before swabbing the bore. If I am shooting lubed slugs then not so much. I still use a card wad for both as well.

Boolit Master

I liked those wads. I got a ton from a going outs bussness sale. Then the mice found them. All gone. Store in mouse proof.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    They do make a small difference for me in the muzzle loader shooting PP bullets. I can get a couple more shots before swabbing the bore. If I am shooting lubed slugs then not so much. I still use a card wad for both as well.
    My application is for some black powder round ball loads, using a recipe from an old Handloader magazine. Small amount of BP, followed by a card wad, two (!) lubed felt patches, and seat the round ball on top of the second patch. A drop of candle wax or bullet lube to hold the RB in place.

I suppose tumble lube of some sort could work, though Alox is out because it's petroleum-based.

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I liked those wads. I got a ton from a going outs bussness sale. Then the mice found them. All gone. Store in mouse proof.
    Thanks for the tip!