Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: White Label Liquid X Lox question, probably silly but...

Boolit Master

White Label Liquid X Lox question, probably silly but...

So I just bought a jug to try. Use it just like Lee Liquid Alox? Do you guys thin it?

I've used White Label solid lubes and think they're great. Just never tried this one. Have used LLA since the late 80s, works great. I DO thin that.

Thanks in advance!

Boolit Grand Master

They have basic Xlox, and deluxe Xlox. I have the deluxe Xlox which is pre-mixed, and I have also used Lee Alox, which should be just like basic Xlox. I do not dilute either of them, and never had any issues even with straight alox. I'm not saying my method is the best way, but this is how I do it.

Fill a bucket with hot tap water, and soak the bottle of Xlox shaking it occasionally until it is nice and liquid. It does not take much, it goes from peanut butter like to water quickly. I would guess it takes mine about 30 minutes of soaking in water, but I store my lube out in the unheated garage.

I fill a small container with bullets, I like a quart size plastic jar, but you can use bigger or smaller containers as needed. I like to soak that container in the same hot water as the Xlox which warms the bullets up a little.

With everything warm, I dribble a small amount of lube into the bullet container, very little. 1/2 teaspoon per 100 bullets is about the amount you want. Drizzle that on the bullets, put the lid on, and start swirling around the bullets until they are evenly coated. If you can see a distinct gold color, you used too much lube. It's not the end of the world, they just take longer to dry. You want that first coat light.

Let dry overnight at least.

Size your bullets next.

Repeat the lube a second time after sizing, same amount of lube, a light golden color is ok on the second coat.

Let dry at least overnight and you are done.

Alternatively if you absolutely need bullets as fast as possible for some reason, you can shorten the drying process way up by using an oven. Bullets in a 220F oven dry very fast. The first coat you should be fine in 20 minutes. I'd go a little longer on the second coat just to be certain it is dry.

Boolit Master

Seriously, just one reply? And not really an answer to the original question.

Boolit Master
    I heat a pan of water on the electric hot plate I use for heating molds to liquify 3~4 oz. of WL Xlox I keep in a plastic ketchup squirt bottle with a couple of boolits in the bottle for mixers. I use mineral spirits to thin (by eyeball) the Xlox to the consistency of coca-cola every time I use it. I use a hair drier to heat both the boolits (I work with batches of 100) and the inside of the plastic bowl I use for coating. It does not take much Xlox to do the trick. I use the same bowl over and over so there is a film of Xlox to start with. Let them dry on wax paper over night. I always works for me.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Seriously, just one reply? And not really an answer to the original question.
    I stated with clarity that I do NOT thin it at all. I use it exactly like Lee Alox. What did I miss?

I have LARS 45-45-10, I warm it up in a sink of warm water and pour a little on them while in a plastic bowl and whirl them around until coated and pour on wax paper and let dry over night.

Boolit Master
    I bought my first jug last month. I put 50 in a tin pan and when covered stood them up. They don't dry fast like alox. The second day I gave them another coat and let sit a few days.<150> 245 grain 44 mag. I loaded them with 10 grains of Unique and they did perfect. No mixing. I heated the pan with a heat gun and pored the leftover back in the jug. I may try a few with one coat. Shot these with a Freedom Arms and a SRH.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 03-09-2023 at 02:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use White Labs Xlox to make 45-45-10. First I melt some Johnson's paste wax in a small pan. Melting it drives off the solvents in the paste wax. Then I add an equal amount of Xlox and stir them together. Take this off the heat and let it cool until it's near room temperature, but still liquid. Then stir in 10% mineral spirits and pour into a sealed bottle. The heating and blending of the Xlox and paste wax drives off the slow drying paste wax solvents, and the addition of the mineral spirits adds a new quick drying solvent.

It only takes a few drops of 45-45-10 to swirl lube a paper bowel full of bullets. Let them dry until they are "dry" to the touch. (usually overnight) In really cold weather the 45-45-10 can solidify. When that happens I just put the bottle in some hot water for a few minutes and shake it up. If it sits for a long time it can start to separate. When that happens, just shake it up. It works really good, and is a lot less sticky than swirl lubing with straight Xlox.

Boolit Grand Master
    I switched to Lars 45-45-10. I did use his Alox for years. I now have a supply of that and gifted LEE alox.
    I warmed the Alox and cut it by at least 1/3rd. Apply, size, dry, reapply. Put it on very THIN!!! It dries harder that way.

I now use 45-45-10. Samy thing. I thin it and put on THIN!! Dries like the wax Hornady pu on there bulk wadcutters.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

I don't (normally) thin my 45/45/10.

I typically only lube once.

I don't go through a jug all that fast and over time it will start to get thicker than normal, I will occasionally add a a little mineral spirits to the jug.

I liked Lee LLA but much prefer the 45/45/10.

I don’t thin. I think it does better think. A little slow handling but I don’t do that many or that often. 30-30 shoots them good. Dry a day or two is better in warm shed. I have yet to shoot my pan lube but I know this works.