Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Beaumont 11.3x52R reload information ?????

Boolit Bub

Beaumont 11.3x52R reload information ?????

Hello:
    Wondering if by chance any of you had any load info on the Beaumont 1871 rifle and its 11.3x52r cartridge ?
    Ive seen the cartridge of the worlds info on this almost 150 year old cartridge where it does list a couple of black powder loads plus the modern smokeless loading consisting of 31.0 grains of IMR4198 and large rifle primer with a 400gr lead slug with a speed of 1430 fps.
    So ive found some info ect.
    But i keep reading now and then others have used different modern smokeless powders as well but doesnt seem to give the actual loads recipe to go by.
    Yes i know there will be those that say if its black powder then stay black powder which is fine by me if they prefer so but ive actually shot the IMR4138 powder load at 31 grains and shot fine .
    Didnt show any signs of pressure issues but just plain wasnt as good of groups id like to achieve.
    Then again its old rifling twist may not even be up to the task of grouping well with being old specd twist not suitable for a slug of its day ???
    Dont really know yet what my end thought will be .
    But id like to hear others thoughts and any load info they may have done or found for this 11.3x52r cartridge.
    The rifle was many times referred do as a dutch beaumont if im not mistaken and i do have some brass stamped 11.x52r plus some other brass stamped Dutch 43.
    I do know the beaumont rifle first was 11x50r but later redesigned as a 11.3x52r later for more range and the rear sight was redesigned for longer ranges. Something like 1800 meters - YEAH RIGHT
    But im looking at say 200 yards as longest deer shot and likely 100 yards or less just want to try to improve the grouping from 5 to 6 inches at 100 yards to something like 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards if i can do it with better accurate loads.
    Just added info : You can take a 50-90 Sharps case reform in a 11.3x52r beaumont reloading die and trim to length and anneal the mouth.
    Thank you
    Head Shot
    Last edited by Head Shot; 03-06-2023 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

In mine, I use as you, IMR 4198.
    350 grain pill with 31 - 33 grs of powder. I may try Unique and RL7 maybe this summer.
    I used the same brass formed by a guy on GB.

Two things,
    slug your barrel and only neck size the brass if you can. Mine runs close to .458 in diameter and use boolits at .458-9. I would bet your throat area is .462 or more. Maybe not, but they can be big.
    And, I don't think there's any reason to go for speed with this one. The 45/70 loads of old killed many of buffalo, and this would do the same.

Boolit Bub
    Hello
    Appreciate the reply.
    Yes the fellow on GB is the same guy LGM is his user name if memory is up to par that i bought from.
    I did purchase 9 of his packets of 20 each so im fortunate in having an obvious over abundance of cases .
    Unfortunately i did message him within the last month about the cases he used to be offering and he explained he wasnt offering the reformed cases at the moment due to none to be had in last couple of years from his supplier starline for the 50-90 sharps case he needed to use to make the 11.3x52r case.
    The positive note thoo was he didnt say he was done and no more just couldnt with no starline cases available to do it at this time so id think its likely when he does youll see them available again.
    I agree speeds maybe not needed unless it by chance stabilizes the slug and improves accuracy in grouping better .
    Actually i did slug one of the four beamonts i own and found it to be with following results.
    Rifling depth was .022 deep with the width of the rifling being rather wide in my looking at and danged if i didnt measure that and draw it on my sheet = I dont know but i didnt .
    I did measure the bores inside ID as from rifling top to rifling top and came up with .436
    Another thing that i saw was take the .436 and add the .022 and add them and you come up with .458 diameter bore which was also confrimed from measurements of the slugged round lead ball .
    So pretty confident in its a .458 bore = At least the one i slugged and am shooting for accuracy testing anyway.
    Im thinking possibly same imr4198 at 31gr load but maybe reduce slug wt from 350gr to say 290gr and test it see if the reduced wt helps with better grouping or if maybe heavier slug but different safe powder chg ????
    Head Shot

I was going to try some .459, 275 grain I picked up. I'm not sure where I will go for powder grains, but am considering Trapdoor data with Unique.
    Just to see how it goes, and plink with it.
    The 350 grain I had tried before was grouping around 2" at 50 yds. 33 grs of 4198. I went down to 31 and it was a little better, but that maybe just me.
    So, when I measured the inside of the neck after firing, it was I think .462. I'm not sure if I should try match that closer by boolit diameter, or just live with it. I've thought about using filler in the case, but don't know if I should with the case being slightly bottle necked. I never did measure how far up the case 4198 filled at 33 grains, I'm sure it wasn't too full. I'm sure I could go to a more case filling slower powder, but I get nervous with fillers.
    As you, I don't use black powder. I can't even buy it near me (except for pyrodex and triple 7) so I use what I have with trapdoor data, and start low.
    I did bite my thumb and bought C&H dies. And I think it was worth it. Even though I don't know how much I'll ever shoot it.
    I made the rifle from parts. Solid action and barrel, shortened to I think 22" Then made a stock from two that is full length. It's a very nice rifle to carry, and balances well.

Boolit Bub
    Hello Again
    Im not sure what my chambers throat might measure but just from a casual look see appears to be pretty decent.
    If a long throat is the issue then id need to consider longer slug or lengthen the trim length to make up for the long throat possibly.
    I also as you did purchased the C&H dies ( I didnt bite my thumb perse as you did - BUT I DID HIDE THE COST OF THE PURCHASE FROM MY WIFE Worked too cuz im still breathing and above dirt
    Later after the purchase of the ch dies i came across a beaumont i wanted and included a set of rcbs 11.3x52r dies with cases for reloading plus a bayonet and had a cleaning rod many times not included.
    All part numbers matching other than the ram rod and bayonet had different numbers so wasnt matching numbers on those but it had the added missing pcs.
    So i had to have it and wound up the high bidder - Yes i paid up to get it ill admit now but the saying IF YA REALLY WANT IT YA ONLY GOTTA BUY IT ONCE came to play.
    Head Shot

Boolit Master

I have always just used the smokeless trapdoor 45-70 data and it has worked well for me.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I used lighter trapdoor data and no signs of over pressure with 50-90 converted brass. Just take it easy she's 150yrs old lol

Boolit Bub
    Hello:
    I read now from more than one of you now and qeuss ill admit i never thought about going with 45-70 govt trapdoor as possible load info to be used in the beaumont.
    I gotta admit thinking bout it that really does make sense and now plenty of loads to look over.
    Thank you Greatly Appreciated
    Head Shot