Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who prefers black powder over smokeless?

Who prefers black powder over smokeless?

I DO! I shoot BP in all of my old lever guns. I may shoot some smokeless in my Eye-talian guns. I really like the boom and the smell, just like old days.

Boolit Master
    I like it, but my .45 Colt rifle does not like it. The bore fouls up way to quickly.

Boolit Master
    BP works well in some of its original loadings. I think it's a great choice for the 45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

It depends on the application. In some applications I find real BP provides the most fun. In other application real BP's disadvantages cannot be overlooked.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never and will never shoot BP. They could stop selling smokeless powder tomorrow and I could get by with the smokeless powder I have in inventory for a very long time. The only calibers I have that could use BP are my 12 ga shotguns or .38/.357's.

Cleaning guns and making smoke are not on my fun list.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I enjoy using BP in my Marlin 45/70. Especially, if I have a friend who has never shot before (there are a lot of people here who would like to try shooting but haven’t been able to) I figure I should give them the full experience.

Black powder is an experience that once felt isn't forgotten. I prefer Black powder as well. The correct lube is paramount to continued shooting.

I like both but prefer BP. I dont enjoy flintlocks as much right now but my sharps rifles, colt SAA, lever action in 45 colt and 45-90 get alot of attention these days. With the homemade BP thread i make own powder and also make my primer so a big 45-110 costs me about 16 cents a round these days, and that's because of the 540 grain lead bullet.

Its not a big deal to clean at all If your powder is good.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Any more I am using black powder in everything that it is appropriate for which is most of my shooting. I'll stick to smokeless for the 30-06 and modern cartridges though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    i have never and will never shoot bp. They could stop selling smokeless powder tomorrow and i could get by with the smokeless powder i have in inventory for a very long time. The only calibers i have that could use bp are my 12 ga shotguns or .38/.357's.

Cleaning guns and making smoke are not on my fun list.
    sad!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I like it, but my .45 Colt rifle does not like it. The bore fouls up way to quickly.
    you proly need a better boolit - not enough or not the right lube for blackpowder

if that dont work a duplex load with 3 or 4 grains of 4227 on the primer proly cure the problem

Boolit Buddy
    I find myself shooting more BP than smokeless nowadays . I have plenty of modern guns, from 22 to 458 Win Mag, as well as a couple dozen pistols. Lately the muzzle loaders have been getting most of the attention. Different pace, slower shooting, makes you focus.

Cleaning has never bothered me. Have a system that makes it easy.

Don

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Any more I am using black powder in everything that it is appropriate for which is most of my shooting. I'll stick to smokeless for the 30-06 and modern cartridges though.
    yep theres fun guns and work guns - fun guns like blackpowder and workguns need smokeless

With most lever guns my accuracy with black powder starts to fall off after 4 to five shots, so I wipe with a damp patch then go another 5. As was said above, depends on how much lube your bullet holds and the length of the barrel too.

Fouling? With real black powder? Not that fake crap everyone pretends gives them the legit experience?

Rifles, yes. Pistols, no.

Boolit Buddy
    Nope, not me. I shot black powder in muzzle loaders for years and I don't miss the mess nor the smell. (my wife even more) I was glad when the substitutes came out and I went to Shockeys' Gold.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    sad!!!
    Maybe sad for you but HAPPY HAPPY for me.

Do what turns your crank...I will do what turns mine. I like to shoot as effortlessly as possible. BP does not meet that requirement.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    It's somehow an awful lot of fun to load up duplex cartridges with a little pile of 4227 covered by black powder. Cleaning up after duplex loads hasn't been bad. I've read multiple places that lots of people think duplex is for more power—but that it's actually for clean shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondolane View Post
    Black powder is an experience that once felt isn't forgotten.
    This is the truth.

I like black powder for my single shot projects. There's a built in safety feature so to speak.

Yes, there are velocity restrictions and fouling is heavier. Never found it to be a problem with single shots.

I'd rather shoot small volumes and have fun than large volumes and spend a bunch of $$$ making noise.

To each their own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast