Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Cheap way to get 22 Rem Jet brass?

Boolit Buddy

Cheap way to get 22 Rem Jet brass?

Friend has a 22 jet revolver and can't find ammo. Suggestions for cheap reloading? I see case forming die sets that are $$$. Other ideas?

Boolit Master

I have never used the forming dies but have made many using the regular two die set from 357 Mag both brass and nickel plated cases.
    First do a good neck anneal on a clean brass case. Then using Imperial Sizing wax start the case into the FL die. Do not go very far then withdraw the case and wipe it off with a clean rag, apply another coat of Imperial. Do this five or six times each time going deeper. You will develop a feel just exactly how far you can go each time. Putting on fresh wax and wiping off the old prevents oil dents in the neck. With the final form clean the case and check length. You will have to neck turn but the exact amount depends on the actual thickness of the 357 brass. Nickel cases, use no neck anneal and it will take a couple extra trips into the FL die, if you anneal often the plating will peel during the forming.
    It’s a lot of work but it makes excellent cases.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Grand Master
    Strange place to ask this question... I don't think you can form this brass with Hand Tools.

But when you get to the right section of this forum, such as Case Forming and Reforming, I think you will be told to start with 357 Magnum cases and neck them down using sizing dies as Reg suggested, if you don't want to by forming dies. Regardless, you will need a good strong bench press or perhaps even an arbor press. Probably it would not be practical or even possible to do this with a hand tool.

Once you have the brass, you can get the bullets (IIRC most people used jacketed bullets for those high speed rounds) and then continue to use that set of dies you've gotten (which were probably expensive) and a bench press so then you can load them like any other cartridge.

Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

The Froggy is right. It does take a good bench press as even though it’s small case it does take a good strong press to do this forming. I use a Herters Super Model 3.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    I believe PPU makes load ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    I believe PPU makes load ammo.
    They do, as well as empty brass and the correct .222” bullets that the Jet uses.
    Grafs has them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    moderator: Please move this thread to an appropriate forum such as “Case Forming/Reforming” or some other place where interested people are more likely to see it. It’s had all the exposure it merits here.
    Respectfully,
    Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Grafs is out of stock of all.