RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need a PID

Need a PID

I've decided I need a PID for my RCBS Pro Melt 2 and my Lee pot.
    The RCBS won't hold temp it'll go way over when set, then when I adjust it down trying to find a happy spot the temp drops like a rock. I contacted a gentleman on here about one but don't know what's happened to him.

Is there some place I can buy one already made up? Don't know really what I'm looking for.
    If some body on here could help I'd be really appreciative.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...TCH-Automation

Hatch is a Vendor Sponsor here, I've seen a few of his ads, haven't had the spare $ to order one but he seems to have a great handle on it. Even offers support for DiY ones if somehow it got messed up. I haven't used any so no real help on a first hand recommendation. Can also try a shot in the dark on evil bay.

Another option would be posting a WTB ad in the Swaping and Selling section. I'm sure you'll get better results there including offers, new, used, custom etc.
    Last edited by Bored1; 03-05-2023 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

get one from hatch, or two
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Moderator Emeritus

The RCBS Pro Melt 2 already has a PID, BUT the problem with RCBS's design is the thermocouple is mounted to the heating element, instead of being in the molten alloy. The heating element gets much hotter than the alloy.

https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...mocouple.8909/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

I purchased my PID from Hatch. No more fiddling trying to get pot temp adjusted. It has definitely improved my casting.

Boolit Mold
    I also bought mine from Hatch. Great little unit. Works well with my lee pot.

If you have any electrical knowledge you could try building one. There are many wanna be experts on YouTube to tell you how. Watch a bunch of different videos and figure out if you can do it yourself. Make sure you pay close attention to supply list and buy the right parts.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Another vote for Hatch, he makes a quality product.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    I've decided I need a PID for my RCBS Pro Melt 2 and my Lee pot.
    The RCBS won't hold temp it'll go way over when set, then when I adjust it down trying to find a happy spot the temp drops like a rock. I contacted a gentleman on here about one but don't know what's happened to him.

Is there some place I can buy one already made up? Don't know really what I'm looking for.
    If some body on here could help I'd be really appreciative.
    I cannot dis the purchase of one from the vendor-sponser on this site, as mentioned -- with kudos -- from others.
    However -- before this vendor, another fellow on this site was putting together units using components from a firm called "Auber Instruments". I was sooooo pleased with the one I purchased for my RCBS melt pot, I purchased another -- this 2nd PID to be my "traveler" -- I use it in Lyman furnaces; &/or even my mould-warm oven (an inverted steel bucket over a G E hot plate -- set at 3540*F). These two have never failed; when I first got them I checked accuracy vs a Lyman analog melt thermometer (it indicated about 45*F difference!) and -- having access to a local university, I marked what "real" temps are -- using this to check what the PID's are doing. Both have been right on. If you wish to check these out, their URL is: https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...=index&cPath=1
    geo

Is there a better way to get in touch with him?
    I tried on the vendor page, last time he was there was 04-28-2021.
    I tried a PM last Sunday no answer as of yet.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Using MX Linux 21

Moderator Emeritus

If it were ME -- no guarantee's on results -- HATCH generally has his PID's offered vis postings in S&S on this site. I just did a quick search, typing in HATCH on white box at top, and it indicates he posted it but five days ago (3 March 2023)... The URL is https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ighlight=HATCH
    You might try simply replying to this post?
    Good luck. I hope I helped.
    geo

Thanks I will try that.

Using MX Linux 21

Boolit Buddy

If you're referring to Hatch I sent him a PM stating I wanted to purchase on 12/19/21. Details worked out by the 21st. Hopefully you hear back soon as he is still active on other threads.