MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Have you seen or read about the .357 CS Ingram ?

Boolit Grand Master

Have you seen or read about the .357 CS Ingram ?

Good morning
    Saw a Contender 10" barrel for sale in the .357 CS Ingram cartridge.
    Started looking about the Web for Ingram Wildcats, .357 Wildcats, Wildcats in Contender and everything else that I could think of.
    One week later I know some of Ingram, Mack 6-11 Models, Wildcats he did produce on the .223 brass but nothing anywhere on the .357 CS Ingram.
    Maybe a "one of" that never was duplicated ???
    So any info will be appreciated to a wondering mind.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Don’t know anything about the 357 cs, but David Ingram made Contender barrels back in the early 70’s .

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you ! Will continue searching.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know anything about the cartridge, and precious little more about the Contender. However I do have some thoughts about this and other wildcats that are purchased without reloading dies.

This is the classic use for a chamber cast, to make sure of just what you have. With it being a Contender barrel, you can even get total chamber length.

Once you decide what brass to use for a parent case, then you get to figure out just how to expand the necks and fireform (if needed).

It does kind of sound like it may be based on the .223, so there are several similar rounds to compare case capacity to for semi-safe starting loads. There are a lot of .355-.357" cartridges that have seen the light of day since the early 1970's, maybe you'll get lucky and one closely matches the new barrel.

Some that come to mind are the .360 Dan Wesson, .357 Max, .350 Legend, .357 Herrett.

You may get lucky and be able to use a bog standard set of .38/.357 dies, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Your ideas are correct to me. It will be a chamber cast as first step.
    We learned with a 38 Long Ballard years back, always do a chamber cast as it is possible someone used a tool up in there for whatever reason.

Boolit Buddy
    And it seem that contenders and their big brother Encore seem to be notorious for wildcatting as you only need a reamer a hand drill and a vise , over the years i have gotten many barrels at gun shows that I guess were inherited but got them home to find out the real untold story , but you are on the right track with a chamber cast and a good supply of die you would be surprised what you can make,

Boolit Master
    I also saw that listing. But, could find no info on the chambering/cartridge. There was a rifle length barrel sold on Gunbroker in that chambering also.
    For a short while there I was tempted ...
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Mold
    Hi, I just bought a Ingram barrel in .357 CS mag. It's not on the .223 because it's on a rimmed cartridge. A .357 mag is a perfect fit but a .357 maximum stops about 0.231 from seating. I'd say that it's something between the two.

Early 360 Dan Wesson? Should be able to just look in it and see a lot of what's going on.

Boolit Mold
    T C Contender barrel by Ingram. Straight rimmed case. A .357 mag fits but a .357 Maximum is too long.

Boolit Mold
    Why didn't I think of the 360 Dan Wesson? It slides in all but about half of the rim thickness. The 357 C S must be just slightly shorter. Gave my chamber casting stuff to my nephew awhile back so want to do that yet. If everything else is the same I should be able to make it out of 360 cases if you can still find them lol.