Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 250 gr .338 Interlock Round Nose for elk?

250 gr .338 Interlock Round Nose for elk?

What do you guys feel about them, for elk?
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    I shot a 6-by bull with the 200grain Pointed .358 Interlock, went through the shoulders, stopped under the hide, 90 yards, .358 Win, went about 25 yards and dropped. Spike bull with 165 Interlock out of a .308, quartering away, ribs, heart, out in front of far shoulder, 180 yards, went about 60 yards, dropped. Should work just fine. I have also deer and antelope with the Interlock's, they do work well.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I shot a 6-by bull with the 200grain Pointed .358 Interlock, went through the shoulders, stopped under the hide, 90 yards, .358 Win, went about 25 yards and dropped. Spike bull with 165 Interlock out of a .308, quartering away, ribs, heart, out in front of far shoulder, 180 yards, went about 60 yards, dropped. Should work just fine. I have also deer and antelope with the Interlock's, they do work well.
    Good experiences, thanks. Our state has a million-to-one lottery but I'm really looking forward to out west with my son.

Any thoughts on using the RP v. spire points? Would the main difference be drop off after, say, 300 yards?
    -Paul

These times we live in...man can't even get the bullets he needs.

Ideally a 225gr. flat base semi spitzer interlock, hot core, partition, pro hunter, all good bullets, grand slam, all not available. No doubt those 250gr. RN Interlocks will do the job, broadside or end to end. Your trajectory will be steeper, they'll do the job if you can connect.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    These times we live in...man can't even get the bullets he needs.

Ideally a 225gr. flat base semi spitzer interlock, hot core, partition, pro hunter, all good bullets, grand slam, all not available. No doubt those 250gr. RN Interlocks will do the job, broadside or end to end. Your trajectory will be steeper, they'll do the job if you can connect.
    Yeah, I know I've been a bit manic looking for at least something to shoot in the heavier for caliber range. I actually did find 250 Sierra GK, and though I was a bit leery of the company, not knowing them, they have been listed on shootingbot and I saw from other sites (shooting forums) that they checked out with many pleased shooters. Blue Collar Reloading. I also picked up some 225 Speer SPBT's from Midway, and the Barnes 250's from Midsouth. I know it's not ideal if I've understood you well and from what I've been reading, but I was actually pretty pleased to pick up the GK's as I've always used them to load my son's 30-30 and the Rem 30-06, when I had it. These were for whitetails, though. I figure outside of the Barnes, they'll at least get me into the ballpark as we get closer and hopefully by then we'll have some of these other options you mention available.

Speaking of Barnes, I'm looking forward to trying them. I just picked up a Hornady seater die as I didn't want to monkey with having to set and reset the RCBS seater die each time I loaded a new bullet, and this idea of a defined setback off the lands is new to me. I think what I did with the 30-06, is I did a dummy round, measured the COAL, and just backed it off enough so the round chambered well.

ps: Ha! Just got a notice from Blue Collar that the GK's are shipped.

Thanks again for the help!
    -Paul

I've used 150gr. Sierra game king bullets for a long time in my .30/06's for deer. They're a spitzer boat tail, each recovered bullet was a jacket stub with a small amount of lead core, (40gr. or so) jiggling around in the jacket stub, very close to failure. The SBT bullets are intended for longer range and slower terminal ballistics. My fault, not the bullets for poor performance, I chose a bullet designed for long range expansion where I should have used a tougher bullet for the short ranges I was shooting deer at. The bullet I needed was a semi spitzer flat base. Now I have in stock 1,200 Hornady 150gr. Interlocks, (I didn't pay a dime for them, they came free with the purchases of Hornady loading equipment, 1,000 for a LNL-AP press and the other 200 for buying Hornady dies).

No worries about muzzle velocity, pick a bullet for it's expected terminal velocity.

I've used 150gr. Sierra game king bullets for a long time in my .30/06's for deer. They're a spitzer boat tail, each recovered bullet was a jacket stub with a small amount of lead core, (40gr. or so) jiggling around in the jacket stub, very close to failure. The SBT bullets are intended for longer range and slower terminal ballistics. My fault, not the bullets for poor performance, I chose a bullet designed for long range expansion where I should have used a tougher bullet for the short ranges I was shooting deer at. The bullet I needed was a semi spitzer flat base. Now I have in stock 1,200 Hornady 150gr. Interlocks, (I didn't pay a dime for them, they came free with the purchases of Hornady loading equipment, 1,000 for a LNL-AP press and the other 200 for buying Hornady dies).

No worries about muzzle velocity, pick a bullet for it's expected terminal velocity.
    OK, lesson learned. Aside from the sheer joy of another good powerhouse of a caliber, I really wanted a second rifle for elk-class game out to distances beyond the scope of my 45-70, but I still prefer to stalk and get in closer, so can't ever conceive of a truly long shot. Well, more, I'll never take one.

I'll chew on it to better understand the principles you've laid out. Thanks again.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    What do you guys feel about them, for elk?
    I wouldn't hesitate to use them

Here's a Ron Spomer and other videos on Barnes copper bullets for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited by Ithaca Gunner; 03-05-2023 at 11:43 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see what cartridge you are using.

I'm not a fan of round nose bullets at all. It isn't that they won't kill, they absolutely will. I simply have never found an instance where a pointed or flat nose bullet wouldn't be a better choice. I wouldnt even say a RN splits the difference. A RN is as bad, and often worse than a FN ballistically. I have yet to see a RN out shoot anything for groups, although I'm sure they could in someone's rifle.

In something like a 338 Federal that might only be getting 2000-2100 fps, why wouldn't you just use a cast bullet at that point?

In something like a 338 Lapua that can be touching 3000 fps with a 250 gr, why would you be nerfing yourself with a bullet that will blow around like a kite?

338 Win mag maybe I can see it, but still at 250+ yards it is already falling behind for no benefit.

I don't shoot 338's, but you should definitely try those Sierras. Them and Berger are the two names that come up anytime accuracy comes into the discussion. Don't discount Hornady though, but I'd go for their #3335 instead.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-08-2023 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but I don't see what cartridge you are using.

I'm not a fan of round nose bullets at all. It isn't that they won't kill, they absolutely will. I simply have never found an instance where a pointed or flat nose bullet wouldn't be a better choice. I wouldnt even say a RN splits the difference. A RN is as bad, and often worse than a FN ballistically. I have yet to see a RN out shoot anything for groups, although I'm sure they could in someone's rifle.

In something like a 338 Federal that might only be getting 2000-2100 fps, why wouldn't you just use a cast bullet at that point?

In something like a 338 Lapua that can be touching 3000 fps with a 250 gr, why would you be nerfing yourself with a bullet that will blow around like a kite?

338 Win mag maybe I can see it, but still at 250+ yards it is already falling behind for no benefit.

I don't shoot 338's, but you should definitely try those Sierras. Them and Berger are the two names that come up anytime accuracy comes into the discussion. Don't discount Hornady though, but I'd go for their #3335 instead.
    He's planing an elk hunt in the future with a .338 Winchester Magnum. The biggest problem right now is, the lack of good hunting bullets to load. There's a bunch of accurate target bullets available and some less than great hunting bullets, (stuff that's designed to expand at long ranges, but fragments at shorter ranges).

I'm stuck and frustrated the same as he is, I would like to build a stock of plain old flat base Hornady 225gr. Interlocks for my .338 Win Mag, (a bullet that performs well at 50yds and 300). Seems the best we can do right now is Speer 225gr. SBT's. Short version, the target shooters are getting what they want and the hunters are getting scraps in .338'' bullets. Accuracy is nice, but we're looking for terminal performance on big game at various ranges.

You're right, the 250gr. RN is something for close up shots on heavy dangerous game where penetration is king. SBT's often expand too quickly and fragment on game at short ranges due to hitting too fast. He just wants a good bullet for 50-300yd. elk hunting. He doesn't need .5 MOA.

He's planing an elk hunt in the future with a .338 Winchester Magnum. The biggest problem right now is, the lack of good hunting bullets to load. There's a bunch of accurate target bullets available and some less than great hunting bullets, (stuff that's designed to expand at long ranges, but fragments at shorter ranges).

I'm stuck and frustrated the same as he is, I would like to build a stock of plain old flat base Hornady 225gr. Interlocks for my .338 Win Mag, (a bullet that performs well at 50yds and 300). Seems the best we can do right now is Speer 225gr. SBT's. Short version, the target shooters are getting what they want and the hunters are getting scraps in .338'' bullets. Accuracy is nice, but we're looking for terminal performance on big game at various ranges.

You're right, the 250gr. RN is something for close up shots on heavy dangerous game where penetration is king. SBT's often expand too quickly and fragment on game at short ranges due to hitting too fast. He just wants a good bullet for 50-300yd. elk hunting. He doesn't need .5 MOA.
    Thanks both. Yep, Ithaca has it right. Just have a battery of 2 - my 45-70 gg for timber or related up to 150 yards at most, with the hope the .338 will give some flexibility for deer up to elk or moose out to about 300, though my better hope is solid out to 250-275 (looking for a true MPBR for 3"). I have gotten some 225-250 grain bullets but as Ithaca lays out, outside the Barnes 250 TSX's (which I'm really curious about - never used mono bullets before), I better understand now that unless I slow down some, these will likely blow up and lose a lot of mass at the expected shorter distances I anticipate for the next year or two.

Cooling my jets like all of us until Interlocks or Accubonds come out, though if Grand Slam comes out, at the 250 grain they now produce I think I'd be happy there. That is, unless I find I'm geeked on the Barnes.
    -Paul

I've never used them, but from what I read and see in vids, the Barnes TTSX bullets are pretty good. IF available, the Hornady Interlock 225gr. Spire Point Interlocks, (flat base) look like a good reliable buy.

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't realize the 338 market was that tough right now. I'm not seeing much for any hunting bullets. Plenty of ungodly expensive target bullets. I've never tried the ELD-X, but my gut says it's basically a target bullet. I'm not seeing Sierra's at all.

I wish I could be more help. Between that 250gr RN and a 225gr SST, I'd be going for the SST. That's just me though. If all you are willing to shoot is 300 yards, there's nothing saying you have to be loading your 338 win mag to the gills. A lot of those "soft" bullets perform pretty dang well when you aren't sending them lightspeed.

IIRC this was Joyce Hornady's favorite bullet. At 2,600 fps zeroed at 200 yds. RN is 2.5" high at 100 yds and -11"@ 300... SP is 2.3" high @ 100 and -9.4" @ 300 yds. Don't be fooled by the modern-day writers and marketing groups. At reasonable ethical ranges not enough difference between a RN and SP be concerned with.
    Last edited by MarkP; 03-08-2023 at 11:45 PM. Reason: had 200 yds instead of 300 yds

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to give a shot to the SST's for this year's deer hunt and see what they do. Created another thread as the low COAL of 3.320" has thrown me, relative to using the RCBS precision mic, but that's another issue.

Mark, thanks. I did just run some numbers off Berger's calculator, and see the differences weren't that massive.

I'm hoping for a bullet out to 300, though I'd like to stay under that to 250 or so. From what I saw off of Berger's ballistics:

Zeroed for 200, on the RP 250 gr at 2600, +2.6" at 100, 0.00" at 200, -4.4" at 250, -11.2" at 300; with the 225 SP at 2600, +2.4" at 100, 0.00 at 200, -3.9 at 250, -9.8 at 300.

If I zero for 225, getting 3" high with the 225 gr SP at 2600, I get + 3.0 at 100 yards, 0.00 at 225, -4.5 at 275 and -7.5 at 300. With the 250 RP I get +3.4" at 100, 0.00 at 225, -5.1 at 275 and -8.7 at 300.

Goosing the lighter bullet to 2700 fps doesn't seem to do that much, but it's some. 225 at 2700: +2.8" at 100, 0.00 at 225, -4.11 at 275, -6.90" at 300.

Hmm.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    I hesitate to mention it because they are no longer made but the 338 bullet that was my favorite for elk before switching to either muzzleloader or cast was the old Speer 270 gr round nose. My experiences with the muzzleloader shooting a 265 gr 429 SWC with a sabot at an mv of 1600 left me no longer impressed high velocity loads. The context is that I hunted Roosevelt Elk in the jungles of coastal Washington where a shot much longer than 150 yards is rare and often much, much, much closer.

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I hesitate to mention it because they are no longer made but the 338 bullet that was my favorite for elk before switching to either muzzleloader or cast was the old Speer 270 gr round nose. My experiences with the muzzleloader shooting a 265 gr 429 SWC with a sabot at an mv of 1600 left me no longer impressed high velocity loads. The context is that I hunted Roosevelt Elk in the jungles of coastal Washington where a shot much longer than 150 yards is rare and often much, much, much closer.
    Thanks for that, excellent info. Though I'd love to hunt Roosevelt elk realistically I know I and my son will be limited to Rocky Mountain elk. Not to say we don't anticipate closer ranges, but for that I at least have the 45-70. His "brush" gun is a 30-30 so we'd have to find something suitable (or better, maybe, fitting) for the closer terrain in CO or MT.
    -Paul

https://ammoseek.com/reloading/bulle.../180-250grains
    lots of options available... love the Speer hot core 225BTSP... just works provided you place it in the boiler room...