Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delay on shotgun purchase

Boolit Master

Delay on shotgun purchase

Bought a gun through Bud’s Gun Shop and was delivered to local FFL dealer. Filled out the form and they said FBI had put a delay on purchase. Whaaat? What reason I asked, Dunno but you can pick up on the 9th. Never had a problem before but this really hacks me off. What right do these people have to delay a legitimate constitutional purchase of a 28 ga shotgun to an old fart like me? Anyone experienced this?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Sometimes this happens when another person that is flagged shares your name. Or, at least that is what I have been told. They actually suggested there is some type of registration you can do to help expedite it. Can't remember what it is called. But I'd look into it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Moderator Emeritus

maybe your signature line has come true
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Thanks to the wonderful computer world,,often different things pop up. When it comes to guns,, it seems the gov'ment loves to throw in glitches.
    As noted above,,, most likely someone with the same name has a record. It requires a Fed to actually work & look stuff up.

Heck, even though I've worked with LEO's in several counties,, many years ago when I went to get my CCW, I kept getting told; "We are waiting on the State & their background check." I finally cornered the sheriff on the phone. I asked him why the long delay. He finally asked me if I'd ever been to a certain County. When I replied that if I had,, I drove through & didn't recall it. He said a guy with the same name as I, had a lengthy criminal record & was from that County. I POLITELY asked the sheriff to look up that thug. he did. Then I asked him a simple question; "Is he black or white?" I heard the punching of keys,, and a slight chuckle. The sheriff said; "Come get your permit."
    You see, my first name is often one used by many black people. Yet, I'm white. (I've had girlfriends who's friends have asked them if I was a black guy.)

So, most likely just a slight glitch.

Boolit Master

JonB, Hah you may be right! A list I am proud to inhabit. But when I was 8 I did steal some candy from a little store. But I think the whipping I got when the store owner told Daddy and statute of limitations would absolve me by now. Maybe because I bought one 3 weeks ago?
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    I had a purchase delayed once. I had recently moved, we figured that was the hiccup

Boolit Master

We moved to new house in June but have bought a gun since.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    It happens all the time. Could be that someone with a name similar to yours recently did something naughty and now the NICS has to look a little deeper to separate you from them. Or maybe the system just had high volume and they bounced you to delay. No way to know. It's just part of the game.

Likely not related to you having purchased a firearm recently. In fact it's quite the opposite in my experience...Frequent buyers have faster processing times and fewer issues with delays.

The FFL gets no information from the FBI regarding why you were delayed or denied, so don't be an ******* to anyone there about it. They are just a middle man and just doing their job. We've refunded money and told people to leave and never return because they got mouthy at our employees about NICS related stuff...

Hell, to be perfectly honest, the vast majority of people who are denied are denied in error and subsequently get it overturned. Be glad you didn't fall into this category as it is a complete bureaucratic pain in the ass.

Here's the thing that's really going to torque you off, though...As a result of the "Bipartisan Safer Communities Act of 2022", FFLs are required to provide physical address information for any purchaser that goes on delay or is denied.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Sometimes this happens when another person that is flagged shares your name. Or, at least that is what I have been told. They actually suggested there is some type of registration you can do to help expedite it. Can't remember what it is called. But I'd look into it.
    You can apply to be added to the NICS Voluntary Appeal File and get a UPIN. It requires submitting fingerprints and filling out some forms.
    NICS VAF

I've still seen people with UPINs go on delay. I think it's mostly useful for preventing future false denials.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Thanks to the wonderful computer world,,often different things pop up. When it comes to guns,, it seems the gov'ment loves to throw in glitches.
    As noted above,,, most likely someone with the same name has a record. It requires a Fed to actually work & look stuff up.

Heck, even though I've worked with LEO's in several counties,, many years ago when I went to get my CCW, I kept getting told; "We are waiting on the State & their background check." I finally cornered the sheriff on the phone. I asked him why the long delay. He finally asked me if I'd ever been to a certain County. When I replied that if I had,, I drove through & didn't recall it. He said a guy with the same name as I, had a lengthy criminal record & was from that County. I POLITELY asked the sheriff to look up that thug. he did. Then I asked him a simple question; "Is he black or white?" I heard the punching of keys,, and a slight chuckle. The sheriff said; "Come get your permit."
    You see, my first name is often one used by many black people. Yet, I'm white. (I've had girlfriends who's friends have asked them if I was a black guy.)

So, most likely just a slight glitch.
    Could have been worse. I was laying on the side of the road under a friends 60's Econoline 100 van, much like mine, which was parked behind it, working on getting her starter out to replace it just outside of Las Vegas, NV. Cop pulls up behind us, and asks for ID, goes back to his vehicle, and sits there until another cop arrives. They both ask me for details on my birthdate, social security number, etc. I also showed them my military ID, because they were acting somewhat nervous. I'm wearing a well worn white t-shirt that was not quite transparent. They asked me to raise up the t-shirt so they could make sure there were no tattoos, though they were pretty sure there weren't already, after they got a response over the radio. I've never had a tattoo, and not even much in the way of scars back then. The reason they were nervous at first was because someone with same name and birthdate was wanted for killing a cop... Fortunately, he was heavily tattooed. Original reason for the stop was that they thought I might be stripping the van for parts for mine. Only I had a spare starter sitting there. Could, however have gotten rather nasty. And though I shot a lot in those days, I did not carry, since it was not allowed there/then.

A decade or so back, I did a search on my own name, and got over 5 million hits. I was several pages into the list before I found one that was actually me. VERY common first name, pretty common surname among those descended from Germany. Strangely, it's never come up again, and so far, I've never had a delay. Yet.

Bill

I'm lucky, to the best of knowledge, I share my first and last name with exactly 1 other person in the country. And I believe he is considerably older than me, respectable businessman kind of guy. And a lifetime resident of Louisiana.

I am so stable, a letter sent to me at the address that I was born at would have found it's way to me from August 1955 until May of 2022.

Pretty tough to get us confused.

Even with a government computer involved.

Boolit Master

Every once in a while I would get a call from a bill collector/law firm. After volunteering (CAREFULLY!!) selected information, they agreed that I was not the one they were looking for. After some quick google-fu, I discovered there are 5(!) other people with my first and last name in this area!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    Maybe the hogs in your area have filed a complaint against you!

IRS called me once about a tax return. Told them it wasn't mine and got a polite thanks and hang up.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    IRS called me once about a tax return. Told them it wasn't mine and got a polite thanks and hang up.
    The IRS never calls, they do all business via USPS mail. My guess is that someone was trying to scam you.

45_Colt

Maybe NCIC does not approve of what you have been reading.

Moderator Emeritus

Did you put your social security number on the 4373?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Did you put your social security number on the 4373?
    In my experience your social security number has no effect on the outcome. The NICS check is garbage, and at best racist. How question 10a is still on a government form in 2023 is is amazing.

Myself, I've never once been delayed. What's really odd is that my dad, who has the exact same first middle and last name, is delayed more times than he isn't. No criminal record at all for either of us, not even a DUI. Another example of someone I know has a very common name. I'm not sure he has ever not been delayed. It's messed up. If you put your social security number into the FBI NICS database, it should be an instantaneous pass or failure. Nothing else should matter, form 4473 should be nothing but a formality for their database. But that's not how it is, government is slow and useless, and the FBI is worthless even by government standards.

Everyone is suspicious, but those who have not been noticed in anything suspicious are especially suspicious!

And further:

The fact that each of us is at large speaks not of our innocence, but of the insufficiently thorough work of law enforcement agencies.

Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Buddy
    Several years ago while at lunch from work I stopped at a big gun shop. There was a rifle I wanted and had decided to buy it. The shop had a lot of people standing there, turns out NICS was delaying everyone. I told them what I wanted and was advised of all the delays but he would try anyway. I was approved in less than 30 seconds in front of all the others!! Got some disbelieving looks on the way out.
    I worked on the road servicing material handling equipment. Having the rifle in my truck, out of sight, was not really an issue for the company. After picking up the rifle, my next service call was to a big US Mail center nearby. Had to go thru a gate onto US Gov't property where it was a huge issue. Went back inside, explained it and was able to leave it there several more hours.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast