Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delay on shotgun purchase

Quite some time ago, I googled my name just to see what would pop up. The first thousand or so hits were for an RCMP officer in Nova Scotia, who had the same name. He was the Public Information Officer.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Several years ago our son-in-law was denied for a firearm purchase. He ran the request through our state's instant check system 2 more times with the same result. The remedy for denials is a thorough check with the "keeper of the records" at the state level. He called and very politely inquired about the denials. The clerk he was speaking with finally asked if he had ever been in a specific county and had any problems there, to which he answered "no." The clerk suggested he check with the sheriff's office of that county for any record in his name. He drove to the county in question and learned that a person with his same first and last name (no middle name listed) had been involved in a rather serious matter many years earlier. In fact, it was so far back that the Sheriff's records did not include that person's DOB or SOC, either of which would have ended the search. SIL got the complete ID on the offender and discovered that person was his father! When he spoke with dear old dad about the event the old man admitted to his involvement . With enough information sharing between the county and state officials the SIL got his purchase application approved.

Boolit Master
    I also recall that a local FFL shop was getting all of their personnel vetted to work on their property. One employee was denied for his involvement in a felony level sexual offense. The employee denied any such involvement so an inquiry was sent to the county where the offense had occurred. The records clerk who was tasked to enter violation records was new at her job when this event record came across her desk. She read the narrative about the incident and checked off on it for the "closest match" among the listed variables in sex violations. The state had the boy listed in the felony class of offense. Locally, the event should have been listed as indecent exposure because the boy was caught "skinny-dipping" in a local creek. This is a good example of "failure to train" a records entering clerk.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a 22 delayed for an hour or so with no explanation. Bought dozens of guns over the years then 1 delay and several after with no problems. Strange things happen.

Top Secret Military
    HazMat Endorsement
    TWIC Card
    Concealed Carry Permit
    Passport

All required separate background checks and still a delay
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    Several years ago our son-in-law was denied for a firearm purchase. He ran the request through our state's instant check system 2 more times with the same result. The remedy for denials is a thorough check with the "keeper of the records" at the state level. He called and very politely inquired about the denials. The clerk he was speaking with finally asked if he had ever been in a specific county and had any problems there, to which he answered "no." The clerk suggested he check with the sheriff's office of that county for any record in his name. He drove to the county in question and learned that a person with his same first and last name (no middle name listed) had been involved in a rather serious matter many years earlier. In fact, it was so far back that the Sheriff's records did not include that person's DOB or SOC, either of which would have ended the search. SIL got the complete ID on the offender and discovered that person was his father! When he spoke with dear old dad about the event the old man admitted to his involvement . With enough information sharing between the county and state officials the SIL got his purchase application approved.
    I was at the Canadian Customs a number of years ago, at the time i was in Canada 4 days a week. The officer was looking at his screen doing background and my paperwork when he asked out of the blue
    "When was the last time you were in Texas"?
    " Uh...must be 7 or 8 yrs, had a load and drove through on my way to LA"
    " You know **** ****"?
    "Yeah, my Uncle but havnt seen him since my dads funeral 20yrs ago. He do something down there"?
    "Yes, bad..very bad"
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    Many years ago when I was buying a lot of guns I got delayed once. It was a surprise but I guess stuff happens.

I think answered the questions in a Southern accent and that raised the red flag on him...LOL.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    after reading all this its makes more sense why local auctioneers sell so many guns and get premium prices. one auctioneer told me that as long as they sell to a Tennessee resident there is no ffl or background check needed and no delays once cash is paid.

Boolit Master
    You asked what right they have to delay your purchase. Ask your Congressman. Congress passed the law that lets them delay your purchase. The delays cited here and not much. I recently purchased a Colt Python new. Oregon requires a background check but has no tine limits. I paid for the gun on Nov10th and picked it up on Dec 30th. When I paid for the gun I was told I was about 6600th on the background list. A week or so laster I was about 12000 on the list. I eventually passed the background check but it took more than 30 days so got to start all over. Redid the federal form and got the gun the next day. The fact that the good citizens of Oregon passed what is probably an unconstitutional law in the last election didn't help with my background check. Proposition 114 is still in limbo.

In my state we must wait 10 days on all purchases of any and all firearms. been like that now since 2014.

Boolit Master
    Here in Texas with my carry permit, no further check of any sort.
    And the wait is only as long as it takes me to fill out the 4473 and lay my money down.
    Same for all Texans with a CHL/LTC.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Sometimes this happens when another person that is flagged shares your name. Or, at least that is what I have been told. They actually suggested there is some type of registration you can do to help expedite it. Can't remember what it is called. But I'd look into it.
    Yes, this happened to a buddy of mine. Had to get a special UPIN number to use when buying guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

All’s well, I guess. FFL called Saturday (delay happened on Friday) to say the approval was issued, I could come pick up my gun. They never get an explanation about delays he said. Maybe a test of my blood pressure meds.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69AFC130-D692-4230-B9A4-16C68178EDBB.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	311243
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master
    oh yeah I have had that happen before
    it's their game got to play by their rules I guess
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    All’s well, I guess. FFL called Saturday (delay happened on Friday) to say the approval was issued, I could come pick up my gun. They never get an explanation about delays he said. Maybe a test of my blood pressure meds.
    Like I said before, the FFL NEVER gets any information from NICS about this stuff. Never have, never will.

It happens...Let it go. Live your life, enjoy your shotgun.

I used to never get delayed and now I get delayed every time. Always get approved eventually so apparently it's something at the Fed level.

Doesn't matter to me really. The FFL I use is a personal friend and he says most everyone is getting delayed these days.

Boolit Buddy
    NC is a lot like Texas. Show up, hand over drivers license and CCW permit, along with cash, then pay and fill out the paperwork. Not even a phone call needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12