Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: 221 Fireball Contender

Boolit Master

221 Fireball Contender

Just to share because the 221 Fireball is decidedly Not Popular with Cast Boolit shooters...
    My Eldest could Not warm up to his 221 Fireball Contender barrel. I think the "fireball" part was unsettling him. We do Not like the cost of Condoms for general Hole Punching... so...Cast got the Nod. I detest that short little neck, and finally stumbled upon a boolit that I obtained from a member here (sorry, Forgot Who, but I can find it if enough interest). It is a 50 gr (weighs up at 52 dressed) gas checked "Spire Point", is how I would describe it... Very pointy...kinda like if ya stuck it in a pencil sharpener!!! In his Contender, if loaded to just cover the top lube groove, it is jammed fairly snug against the rifling, and the gas check is right at the neck/shoulder junction, Being Frugal, I started with 5.0 grains of Unique.. We will probably Not change that for awhile... I will chrono that load, and test at ranges beyond 40-50 yards...after the weather co-operates... Right now... he is Thoroughly Enjoying shootin these very mild/pleasant loadings, up!!!
    HTH someone...

Boolit Master
    I had a XP-100 in .221 Fireball decades ago. I foolishly let it go. (I was young & had to sell to buy others.) And at one point I had a .221 Fireball T/C bbl. Again, I let a good friend talk me out of it. And whatever brass I had, also went to a good friend. But all I ever used was the J-word bullets. So I'm no help in the cast designs for it.
    But it was a fun caliber to me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I had a XP-100 in .221 Fireball decades ago. I foolishly let it go. (I was young & had to sell to buy others.) And at one point I had a .221 Fireball T/C bbl. Again, I let a good friend talk me out of it. And whatever brass I had, also went to a good friend. But all I ever used was the J-word bullets. So I'm no help in the cast designs for it.
    But it was a fun caliber to me.
    I never minded the FireBall out the end... But, I shot a very large wheelborrow load of 357 Herretts, (the 357 Fireball)...and maybe More 7TCU, the Ultimate in Fire for Effect!!!!
    Any more now??? 32 S&W (sometimes long), 38 Special (my all time Favorite), and 45ACP, outta my Contender 45Win Mag bbl...(never Misses).. So, This new twist outta the Fireball is Capital F Fun!!!
    Yea... I'm Old!!!

Boolit Buddy
    This isn't helpful because I don't shoot cast out of it, but I just have to chime in that I love to shoot a 221 Fireball Contender pistol. What a fun little cartridge to shoot!
    It's also a sweetheart in a little bolt gun. Just a step up from a 22 Hornet. They shoot so well and don't get your barrel heated up too quickly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JRD View Post
    It's also a sweetheart in a little bolt gun. Just a step up from a 22 Hornet. They shoot so well and don't get your barrel heated up too quickly.
    That's the truth! I have a CZ527 that's just a sweet heart!

Boolit Master
    Agree JRD, and Thunderstick... It is a Barrel of Fun...That was a pun!!!!
    I really want to get a Cast loading for it... because Condoms are costly, and he needs the reduced Fire and Fuss right now as well...
    I find this particular loading quite enjoyable... just gotta tweak for accuracy! If this all works out...we may be on the search for the ultimate short .224 Boolit!!! All good if we end up with a few more "too long" ones...My .222 Gobbles 'em up!!!