WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to get a 35 Cal Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    One option would be to pick up a Savage 110 and get a 35 Whelen or 358 barrel for it. A barrel nut wrench and a headspace gage and you are in business.
    I went this route. I like the .308 family and I have multiple barrels for the same action and stock. It's not perfect for everyone but it sure works well for me.

I have 4 different barrels in 4 different chamberings and the same bolt face and headspace gauge set works for them all.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Look at the .35 Whelen single shots on gunbroker. I saw one at a LGS for a little over $300
    I'd be $300 poorer.

Boolit Master
    I have a M8 Rem in 35 Rem as well as a 350 Rem mag and a 358 Norma. All shoot the RCBS 35 200 well.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both a 35 Whelen and a 358 Win. I love them both but the 358 Win holds a special place in my cabinet. My next project will be a 350 Rem Mag or 358 Norma Mag. As many have suggested I would rebore an existing rifle by JES for the cost savings. Don't forget the 356 Win on a Marlin 336 ! You could also do a 35-30/30.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brasshog View Post
    I have both a 35 Whelen and a 358 Win. I love them both but the 358 Win holds a special place in my cabinet. My next project will be a 350 Rem Mag or 358 Norma Mag. As many have suggested I would rebore an existing rifle by JES for the cost savings. Don't forget the 356 Win on a Marlin 336 ! You could also do a 35-30/30.
    I lusted after the Big Lady 358 Norma. Until I read the story from Lane Simpson about the 358 STW. Full length H&H case minimum body taper and a sharper Shoulder. Ballistics damn impressive pushing a 250g to 3000fps.

Move forward fifteen years or so I ran across a 358 NM but the deal fell thru at last minutes. Literally going to pickup. I was smitten so close wanting for so long... A friend on line got ahold of me with a name and a number and I called and made a new friend. That man had a nice JES re bored Winchester 70, 7 Mag in to 358 Norma. He had shot a little. Worked up a load and had a passle of brass dies bullets and loaded ammo. We struck a deal and within a week my dealer had that gun for me to go pick up. That rifle shoots very well. I re worked his load and agree with his numbers. A 250g Norma Oryx leaves the muzzle moving @ 2865 @ 15'. Printing right @ a tight 1". Thats darn impressive!! I have found my 310 Cast @ 2175 shoots right @ 1" @ 50 yards. 275g Hornadys are 2735 ish and print 1+" 100yard groups.

After over twenty five years wanting I had my Big Lady. Dont wait. Its a wonderful caliber thats under realised.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

IF....you run across a Big Mama (358 Norma) don't hesitate to shoot cast boolits in it and the bad press about the boolit base being below the neck is not a deal breaker. Mine is built on a Tang Safety Ruger 77 and it shoots 220g GC boolits in the 1900 fs range very accurately with now discontinued 4759 but Shooters World Buffalo Rifle is a twin to 5744 and you can actually find it. I use 338 Win brass necked up and it works like a charm. My barrel is a 22" Douglas duplicate tapered to the original 7 mag Ruger contour. I've had a 358 Win and I'm not bashing it either as they make a super 35 cal that is easy to load to comfy levels and still get the whoomp factor of a 35. But if you run across a Norma, better grab it. My gun smith was Jimmy McCollough and I made a dummy round with a 250 gr Nosler Part for him to throat the chamber.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by brasshog View Post
    A 35/30? What does that cartridge look like? Nevermind. I see now.

Boolit Buddy
    @Hannibal The 35-30/30 is nearly identical to the 35 Rem in performance if I remember correctly but you don't have to hunt down the elusive 35 Rem brass.

I just want a 9.3x62 One of these days, maybe. I was going to get the one that CZ offered with the Mannlicher stock but I waited too long, thinking they would still have them. Seems like all the companies fell off a cliff all of a sudden. I'd build one now from the ground up, but working on a Jones Underlever barreled set that's gonna take me probably 2 years to finish. That, and I shake my head at the price of barrel blanks and actions these days. Maybe I'm just a cheapo....but I'll find a bargain

Boolit Grand Master

The 9.3x62 is a fine cartridge.
    But it is far easier to send JES Reboring most any bolt rifle and have a .375-06 in 3 weeks.
    A 275+grain .375 FNGC chugging along at 2200+ fps will easily take care of most critters our nation still has roaming about. Have loaded the same cast to 2350 fps powder coated and under 3 inches at 100 yards.
    But I do understand the desire to have one of those CZ Mannlicher carbines. CZ makes a fine bolt rifle.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Another vote for JES. I love the 356 Winchester Trapper he made for me out of a Marlin 30AS.

Boolit Master
    What’s it like buying brass for the .356 Win? Starline doesn’t offer it. A lever action would be more fun than a bolt.

Boolit Master

My Big Norma likes the cast 310g with N140 and 3031. Both hover 1950-2000 and shoot nearly touching groups.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Why not go the most fun route.....and find yourself a Win 1895 in 35 Win.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    I had a shot-out 8mm Mauser barrel that I started to send to JES for a 358 x 57 re-bore, but chickened out at the last minute. I currently have a NEF 357 magnum, an H&R 357 Max, a Marlin 1884C 357 Magnum, a Marlin 336C 35 Remington, and a custom Mauser action 35 Whelen. I thought the 358 x 57 would fill the 358 Win slot and be able to shoot my existing cast and jacketed bullets. A wildcat that doesn't get much mention, but would be a close to medium range thumper on anything that walks. Still wish I had gone through with it.
    Last edited by curiousgeorge; 04-09-2023 at 09:50 AM.

Boolit Master
    Used to be somebody around that made 35 rem brass out of 308 win. Got some a few years back. Good stuff!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123