Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get a 35 Cal Rifle

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Brand new 360 Buck Hammers available also . It's reported to match the 35-30 in a 1.8" straight 30-30 more or less case . Available in singles and levers .

Always wanted a 9×57 , aside from filling the magazine of a typical 98 it doesn't really offer anything the 358 doesn't . If you can't knock it down in no America with a 21-2200 fps 250 gr bullet inside 200 yd it probably escaped from a zoo . I was pleasantly surprised with the Santa Barbara 98 and Boyds stock that there was so little felt recoil , the 1895 leaves me with a recoil headache with a 255 at 2000 fps .

The 357 mag and 358 Win are the 35s I have any time in with .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Split the difference. Get a Remington model 8 or 81 in 35 Remington. Brass isn't super easy to get, but about as hard to find as 357 max brass.

If you are into lever actions, Henry makes them in 35 Remington.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-03-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Another way to get there, a Savage 110 and an ER Shaw barrel for an additional $200 or so. Two rifles in one!

Boolit Man
    CVA makes the single shot scout rifle in 35 Whelen for under $450.

Boolit Master
    No one has mentioned the Jes 35 30-30 on a lever gun .

Boolit Bub
    JES may be the only company that I have yet to see a negative comment on! I was particularly impressed at how nice the "358 Win" stamping looked on my barrel after he put x's over the original .243 stamp. My mid '80s
    Browning BLR may be the best marriage of a rifle to the .358 Win cartridge but new ones command a steep price. It is fun searching for a donor rifle in .243, 7mm-08, or .308 and then sending it to JES. You can easily wind up with a truly unique gun at a reasonable cost. He did mine a few years ago and the turnaround was only a couple of weeks!

To my way of thinking, a JES rebore gives you a lighter weight rifle that requires no stock work.
    A lot of barrel companies use heavier profiles for 35 caliber barrels- ER Shaw comes to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If you do go the 77/357 route, you may have to shim the bolt to get the accuracy where it is worth shooting. The bolt shim made a massive difference in my rifle when shooting out to 120 yards or so (that’s as far as my berm is from the house)
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Grand Master

Mike Bellum is now chambering the 360 Buckhammer in Encore barrels, of course he is big in the 35 market anyway. He has long been pushing the 357Max. Have you an Encore?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

What distances will you be shooting ? In the open to 600+ yards ? Up close ? I had Patriot Valley Arms build me 3 rifles so far. 2 were built on my existing Remington 700's, a third was on a Big Horn action.

For my Contender, I've ordered a 360 Buckhammer from MGM. I expect good results from cast; the chamber does not have excessive freebore. Can't say the same for the 357 Herrett.

My Browning BLR 358 Win is also excellent with cast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    For my Contender, I've ordered a 360 Buckhammer from MGM. I expect good results from cast; the chamber does not have excessive freebore. Can't say the same for the 357 Herrett.

My Browning BLR 358 Win is also excellent with cast.
    And yet... My 357 Herrett, can shoot Pistol boolits engaged in the lands!!!

Banner Sponsor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    That’s a pretty tempting option.

Boolit Grand Master

Since you have already had a conversation with JES, get a 30/30 barrel for the Contender and have him punch it out to a 35-30/30 (Americas first wildcat!)
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Since you have already had a conversation with JES, get a 30/30 barrel for the Contender and have him punch it out to a 35-30/30 (Americas first wildcat!)
    Huh???
    Why Not get any 357 Contender barrel, and ream it to yer 35/30-30

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Huh???
    Why Not get any 357 Contender barrel, and ream it to yer 35/30-30
    JES will give you the rifling twist rate you ask for.

Boolit Buddy

I have a Rem Model 81 and a Marlin 336 SC both in 35 Rem, but when I stumbled across a pre-safety 94 Big Bore in 356W, as-new, for $600 OTD because the dealer wasn't able to sell it in any sort of timely fashion to his satisfaction, I took it.

I already had a set of Redding 358W dies, and about 340 pcs of new in bags Winchester brand 307W cases and no rifle to fit them. I also had a 338 Win Mag expander die. So in two steps I formed 20 cases to 356W dims, then primed them and loaded 12 gr of Unique under a PC'd 200 gr Lee .358 flat point.

Just yesterday I fired it for the first time and put three rounds through the 356, and busted three claybirds on edge at 50 yds offhand with that Lyman flip up rear sight and an off-white painted front bead. Shot right at an unadjusted POA.

In addition to painting the bead off-white, I took a flat black Birchwood Casey paint pen and blacked out the white diamond in the rear sight insert. Brass beads and white diamonds are not compatible with my 68 year old eyes.

Noah

J. Francis Rabbeth created a wildcat on the .32 Wesson case that became known as the .25-20 Stevens (or Single Shot) ten years before the .30-30 even existed.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I own both a Marlin in 35 Remington and a JES rebore Remington 725 in 35 Whalen. Both great cast bullet guns. I shot mostly the RCBS 200 flat nose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast