Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get a 35 Cal Rifle

Boolit Master

How to get a 35 Cal Rifle

I’m in the market for a 35 cal rifle I can cast for. Looks like I have two reasonable options: 1) build an AR10 in .358 Win or 2) buy a .357 Max barrel for my T/C Contender. As far as I can see, I won’t be able to buy a factory 35 cal rifle anytime in the next few years (a local gun shop is still filling orders from 2020). Problem with the AR10 is: I’ve never seen one, so I don’t know what I’m getting myself into. Problem with the .357 Max is I want something with a good recoil.
    What are your thoughts? Am I too pessimistic about availability of a ree weasonably priced bolt action 35 cal rifle?
    I know where I can get a budget AR10 in .308. I also know where I can get a $600 30-06 with a stock that feels hollow and an action that grinds. I pretty much just want a .358 Win. A .35 Whelen would be ok, but more than I need. A 35 REM would be good if I could get brass.

Well I have a .357mag in a H&R handi rifle that I dearly love. Had no real need or desire for more power, going to .357max.

I do load my rounds into .360DW brass which the lead on my rifle is big enough to accept.
    That being said I mostly shoot 4.6 grains of Red Dot below a 125 gr non gas checked bullet. But I have shot the lee 200gr clone and it does very well at 100 yards.
    If I need more ommph than that I'll go to .44mag, .444marlin or .45 colt. All will throw a 200+ gr bullet accurately to 100 yards and I suspect more.

Still the .357 is in a dead heat with the .444 for most accurate rifle in the house. Both are dang good.

In the end I think it has to come down to what you want to use it for, and range needed.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    Get a .308 bolt action and have JES reborn it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    This is a GREAT suggestion. I was going to go this route and I called JES. He quoted me a price IIRC of under $300 to do the rebore. There are a lot of good .308 rifles out there to choose from. The only reason I didn’t go this route is that I ordered an SSK bull barrel for my TC Encore. It’s 16.25” with a muzzle brake and shoots five shots 1moa (or less) at 100 yards. It’s a real hoot to shoot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8A844682-E8B9-4D90-B502-ADF48F8BB92B.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	311183

Boolit Buddy
    One option would be to pick up a Savage 110 and get a 35 Whelen or 358 barrel for it. A barrel nut wrench and a headspace gage and you are in business.

I'd think a bolt gun compatible w/ swap barrels (like Savage, or Rem 700 w/ aftermarket RemAge system) would be a good option.
    Bolt gun has no gas port, so if you use traditional lubed bullets, you are good to go.
    Ought to be able to get a bolt gun much cheaper than an AR10, and a Good barrel nut style prefit aftermarket barrel can be at your door under $400 US (don't know where you are).
    You keep the original barrel if you like to have an "extra gun", or sell it to recoup costs. Used Rem factory barrels on GB bring ~ $100-150 with ease.

Boolit Master
    I was loading 35 Rem for a Marlin 336. With the brass being harder to find I picked up a Yugo Mauser, I came across in .358 Win. I ordered that brass easily but it's also easy to make over 35R. I'm loading .357 pistol bullets in both but also have a 200gr mold as well.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 03-03-2023 at 12:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    Look at the .35 Whelen single shots on gunbroker. I saw one at a LGS for a little over $300

350 Legend in an AR-15 or in a Bolt action

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    ^^^^This.^^^^^^
    JES .358 rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Justin -

Howdy !

.35" calibre cartridge choices you mentioned are a bit apart, power wise.

There are .35 Remington rifles and carbines, as a possible option. CVA makes their " Hunter " model in .35 Remington. H & R used to make a special run of SB2 rifles for primitive hunting in some Southern states; that
    came w/ both a .35 Remington-chambered and a .444Marlin-chambered barrel. And TC made COntenders in .35 Remington.

I had a .357Max SB2 Ultra rifle that was the most inaccurate rifle I ever tried to get to shot decently.
    I have also had a Marlin 1894SC .357Mag, 2 M336 .35 Remingtons.... the most recent one a stainless XLR model that came from the original CT factory. It is hyper accurate.

I had a bench-rest grade bolt rifle made, that featured a custom 22" stainless 5-groove 1-16 barrel, that I had chambered in .358 AutoMag ( .357AutoMag expanded .001' to full .358" calibre ) to allow use of .358" cal rifle bullets. I killed groundhogs w/ it out to 350 yds. I still have that barrel, which has threads that would fit an M70 action; or an M77 if the thread OD was reduced slightly.

Those .35 Remington M-7's are pretty hard to find.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master

Love the 35's. Hard ta go wrong. But if building a Cast bullet gun, Is not have a M$R.
    Bolt or Single Shot would be first choice. Some calibers lend themselves to Pump but any auto would be my last choice.

The 358Win is a awesome choice. The Whelen is as well. But I do dearly love my Maxi's. Depends upon what your needs are.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

A Browning BLR chambered for 358 win is not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    350 Legend in an AR-15 or in a Bolt action
    Or a single shot if that floats yer boat. Henry makes one in 350, as does CVA and Traditions. It's a ballistic match to the 35 Rem. in a straight wall. It puts the smack down on brown goats. Bear Creek Arsenal and Palmetto armory both sell complete uppers for it. I have the Bear Creek AR and my son has a Ruger Ranch. 6 deer down over the last two seasons, they all had two holes in them and we didn't have to go looking for them.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

35 Rem and 35 Whelen are usually available at reasonable prices. With cast bullets the Whelen can be loaded to any level you like. Whelen brass can be made from 30-06 by just running it through the Whelen sizing die, and 35 Rem can be formed from 308 but it involves more effort.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I have two 35's in house. You can cast for me. Wont cost you a thing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I have two 35's in house. You can cast for me. Wont cost you a thing.
    Me Also...as well!!!

Seriously, I would Not ...never, trade the 35 Remington's for any "as good/better", nor a boat load of Black Rifles!!!
    I have No Desire to push cast at over 2200FPS

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    ^^^^This.^^^^^^
    JES .358 rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What these guys said! Used Savage Axis in .308 or other .308 derived cartridge should set you back three bills or less. Should be able to find one in a pawn shop pretty easily. New barrel or a trip to JES and you're in business. Don't discount the Axis by any means, they are very functional rifles for the money. I love my own .308 example and no it's not for sale!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Another option that has yet to be mentioned; the Ruger 77/357, perhaps a little light on the power spectrum compared to the 358Win, but very inexpensive & easy to feed. I have one and love it; the detachable rotary mag is in a class by itself. It even runs 230gr full wadcutters with excellent accuracy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tifgki895d...hoto1.jpg?dl=0

Being able to run 38 Specials is another plus - brass availability for that rifle is off the charts, lol.
    And as far as power, it does send out 180gr Buffalo Bore hardcast @ a chronographed 1850 fps - that's 30-30 energies. Never letting go of mine.
    Best regards,

Boolit Grand Master
    Ruger 77/357 would be good, but anything but inexpensive nowadays. The JES rebore would be the easiest way, along with a barrel for your contender in 357max.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast