Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashlights

Boolit Master

Flashlights

Seeing contender1's comments about using flashlights in the predator posting caused me to wonder what flashlight you use.

Brand, LED, Incandescent, HID, Lumens, Candle Power, Flood or Throw, under $50 or over $50

Just general type info on your flashlight and would you buy again.

My flashlight is a Surefire E2D LED DEFENDER rated at 60 lumen when bought cost around $60, no longer made. It is a throw and wish I had bought 2 or 3 at the time. The replacement is $225

Boolit Grand Master

Maglite XL50 with Energizer lithium batteries.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple of cheap green led flashlights I use for pig hunting from a blind. First one was Vastfire, about $30 including 2 18650 batteries and charger. The other is Windfire and was $15 for just the light. Both zoom from wide to spot. My feeder is about 60 yds out. With one light set covering 10 yds either side of the feeder, I can see another 30 or so beyond that. Light goes on a small tripod on top of the blind and gets turned on just before dark.

Boolit Master
    Oveready BOSS 70.
    4.5 inches long and less than an inch in width; 3500 lumens on High mode.
    Lower modes include a respectable 400 lumens for 5 hours, or 16 lumens for 4 days straight.
    The lowest mode is set to 0.14 lumens, enough for household navigation w/ dark adapted vision. Nobody really knows how long that runtime is.
    The modes are fully programmable via the optical sensor on the front that is also is a micro red LED that could run for about 6 months.
    If you have to ask the price, well you know how that part goes ... :-/ It was a gift from a friend during a rough time.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 03-02-2023 at 09:39 PM.

My only flashlight on a gun is on a Rem 870 wingmaster 12 ga special trap model. Shotgun is behind the bedroom door within reach with me sitting on the bed. I think I have only pulled it out to go look at noise twice in 25 years. Once was a cat with a mouse. The other was my stepdaughter who was supposed to be at a sleepover and not home that night.
    Scared the living daylights out of her when I flicked the light on. Shotgun was lined up on her head about 6 inches from the end of the barrel.
    That barrel had to look mighty big as her eyes got VERY large very fast.

Just a cheap 15$ light from amazon that takes 18650 Li-Ion battery's of which I have many battery's and chargers. I check it once a year, charge battery once every 5 years or so. I have a variety of lights around the house from dirt cheap on ebay to mid range. They mostly all work pretty well.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    My best most used is a Hyper Tough that has 6 small leds for wide angle short range and one bigger one in the center that is a beam. It uses 3 AA batteries of what ever type you want and has a range of a good 60yds on high with 3 beam settings and one wide angle. I don't remember exactly what it cost but was around $30 about 7 years ago.

a cheap 500 lumen 4aaa on my ruger 10-22 armadillo gun. I need to put something on my 500 mossberg.
    Known traffic menace

Boolit Master
    I have a lot of different flashlights.
    On the "cheap" end of things,, I have several "Coast" brand lights that I use on a regular basis in my work. I inspect attics, crawl spaces & such a lot. If I break or destroy one of those, I'm not out much.
    And I have a couple of Streamlight's & a SureFire. Those are in places where more serious things may be needed.

Between those,, I have all sorts of lights. Some are rechargeable, some use triple A's, some double A's, some lithium batteries. Lums vary all over the place.

None of my lights are mounted on a gun, except for a few dedicated StreamLight handgun light/laser ones.

Boolit Buddy
    The newer Surefire G2 Nitrolons can be had with 300-600 lumen lamps. Just massively better than the original incandescent ones. They can be had for $50-$75 I use mine every day. I'd hate to say how many Surefires I've owned over the last 30 years or so. They were awesome at the time and have kept up with advancements in performance. I have one mounted on a Ruger PC carbine - works great when the dog is tangling with critters at night.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I should have expanded on what I said. The Maglite XL50 is the flashlight I prefer the most in hand. I have one in the nightstand. I have one in all gloveboxes. I have one in the hunting gear. I used one for years at work. They don't fail in any conditions I've found. Not in hot or cold, not in snow or rain. I even dropped one into 200 gallons of hot hydraulic oil, and it still works.

For a weapon mounted light, I have a Maglite MagTac on my Mossberg 590. Seems a little brighter than the XL50. Little bit longer and heavier than the XL50. Twice the cost of an XL50. Seems to hold up to recoil well.

By far my most used light is a headlamp though. A Princetontec Vizz. I think I have 3 of them. Zero failures. Good balance of brightness and battery life. Super lightweight. They regularly end up underwater duck hunting without issue. The one and only downside I've found is they will not work with rechargable batteries. I only use Energizer Lithiums in them.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Thé LED technology is amazing. You can have a flashlight the size of your little finger and see 25 yards away.

Moderator Emeritus

Olight Warrior X Turbo, 1,100 lumens, I can light up street signs 1/2 mile away, easy to see a coyote out 400 yards. Yes it is big and heavy!

https://www.olightstore.com/warrior-x-turbo-black.html

Boolit Buddy
    My EDC light is an old, well worn, and now discontinued Fenix PD22UE.

Single CR123A/16340, 510 Lumens

Whatever you choose make it LED.

My Lowes handheld flashlight lights up real well to 100yds and more, can see coyotes very clear, it cost $20. about 5yrs ago. Wish I had bought 3 of them. My wife holds it and I shoot. We have killed lots of dogs this way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    My Lowes handheld flashlight lights up real well to 100yds and more, can see coyotes very clear, it cost $20. about 5yrs ago. Wish I had bought 3 of them. My wife holds it and I shoot. We have killed lots of dogs this way.
    I find that really hard to believe. See their eyes at 100 yards, sure. See clear at 100 yards? I've never seen a flashlight do it.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-03-2023 at 04:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 1000 Lumen Surefire Weapon light that will do it. Its pretty good to nearly twice that distance.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I try not to use one with the wife or kids around as one or the other wants to grab it.

Boolit Master

Olights. Have them all from 2,000 to 500. Lumens? I guess. Got one of their headlamps rechargeable for after dark game recovery. Some are over 5 years old and still functioning like new. Don't be afraid of this Chinese brand. They must have the A-Team building them. Guys try to tell me how great their Lowe's and others are. I switch on a Olight. Suddenly, everybody's quiet.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    One thing I have noticed is that reguardless of the light a red lense can be a benefit because a plain "white" light beam can spook some predators.