Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CVA .32 Squirrel Rifle Flintlock

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the tips and advice. Appreciate it! Here`s a dumb question; I have several lbs of Pyrodex RS powder. Have that for my .50, and .54. Can that be used for the smaller .32? Could a small quantity be safely ground (I have a stone mortar and pestal) to be used in the pan instead of 4F? I have no idea where to find 4F powder. Still thinking #11 caps would be a lot easier though...

Boolit Buddy
    Pyrodex is very difficult to ignite with a rocklock. You really don't need 4 f powder in the pan, 3 f will work just as well. With that peashooter bore 4 f down the pipe will most likely work better but 3 f will still go bang.

Boolit Mold
    I have used 3F in the pan for 50 years with no problems. A friend of mine said he used 2F in damp weather when hunting because it didn't turn to slop . The British army primed muskets with whatever powder was in the paper cartridge, 2F or coarser. I guess it depends on the spark. I never had luck with the manufactured rocks. A good flint adjusted to the frizzen works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by keithfan View Post
    Hello. Was at the local pawn shop today to pay off and pick up a lay-a-way, and of course, had to put another "item" on lay-a-way.
    A excellent condition CVA .32 flintlock. Question is; would it be possible to convert this to percussion? Would Dixie Arms, or any other source have any old CVA locks, parts, etc.? I would really prefer percussion, but could learn how to mess with flint and steel I guess. Could not pass this little beauty up! Also, anyone know what size round ball mold I need?
    Thanks,
    Tom
    I have a the same gun in percussion and wish it was a flintlock - we should talk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87817-20210716-100703.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	312674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87818-20210716-100648.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	312675
    Last edited by Sudsy; 04-06-2023 at 09:26 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Flintlocks are not difficult and are really fun to use. I’d keep it.

I hunt with a flintlocks. It's not about the harvest. It's all about the experience.

I used to think it was all about what I brought home and it still is but from a completely different perspective. I fish with cane poles and hand tied flies. I make everything I can because that's the experience that I enjoy now.

My days of bigger, better, harder, faster, more are behind me. And I am SO glad.

I have Pedersole cub flint in 32. Its a lot of fun. Real accurate with 15 gr 3f with .310 ball. I bought it because at the time caps were hard to get and flints can be sent through the mail. I wanted a percussion gun. Been happy with the flint and the lock in it is fast. Im now on the hunt for a percussion 32 or 36. I make my own caps and they are almost free to make so caps are not an issue for me any more. If i had bad arthritis in my hands that little ball would be hard to work with. Its a learning curve.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I have a little 32 capgun that I use "Winchester super hard chilled shot - 00 /SG " ---no problems at all. my caliper is kaput so cant measure these but they weigh 53 grains.

---most 32's are too small to take that size and its the only buckshot us Aussies have/had access to - I hunted around for quite a while to find that gun (wanted something for my daughter when she was a kid) --the whole thing is tight, its a shallow rifled barrel - japara patches and a mallet to load it but deadly to 50 yards. 32/20 case of FFFg ---CVA's and Pedersoli's would need a smaller ball and I didnt want to be fiddling around casting for it.
    just checked - that stuff is .327 and way too tight for the CVA's I saw

I would start a CVA on a 310 ball with a calico patch ---heres my logic, new barrel CVA 45 = 440 ball, CVA 50 = 490 ball, CVA 54 = 530 ball - calico patch in all - once they run in a bit(300-500rounds) move up to a ticking patch (next move up in ball size, 445,495,535) so 315 ball proly ok at the start
    -- on the range or plinking I run a wet moose milk patch (25% cutting oil and 75% water) can shoot all day ---downside is hunting that wet patch can damp the powder some so needs either a dry backing patch (a fire hazard) or different lube (grease) and you foul out at about shot no 7. No big deal hunting but a right PITA if you target shooting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12