MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVA .32 Squirrel Rifle Flintlock

Boolit Mold

CVA .32 Squirrel Rifle Flintlock

Hello. Was at the local pawn shop today to pay off and pick up a lay-a-way, and of course, had to put another "item" on lay-a-way.
    A excellent condition CVA .32 flintlock. Question is; would it be possible to convert this to percussion? Would Dixie Arms, or any other source have any old CVA locks, parts, etc.? I would really prefer percussion, but could learn how to mess with flint and steel I guess. Could not pass this little beauty up! Also, anyone know what size round ball mold I need?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Boolit Master

I have an older CVA percussion .32 Cal. Squirrel rifle and it likes a .315 diameter ball the best at around 15-18 gr. of 3FG. Very accurate on the first shot, but quickly needs a good swabbing in order to maintain the accuracy.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    I can't see why you can't switch it to Percussion.
    It can be done if you can find the parts.
    I have a Pedersoli .32 flintlock Cub kit that I have to put together when I get time.
    You might be very happy with the flint set up.

Boolit Master

Keep it flint and learn to use it! They can eliminate percussion caps and of course you can make you own, but flint is a whole other game and it is fun!

Boolit Master

I have enjoyed my percussion Squirrel rifle and although I even make my own caps, I sort of wish it were a flinter. I too think you will like it if you give it a try.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by HamGunner View Post
    I have an older CVA percussion .32 Cal. Squirrel rifle and it likes a .315 diameter ball the best at around 15-18 gr. of 3FG. Very accurate on the first shot, but quickly needs a good swabbing in order to maintain the accuracy.
    I have that very same rifle, and what you say is pretty much what I have found to be true.
    Cool little rifle, but is more work to enjoy then either the .50 or .54 calibers.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Hello keithfan,

Back when I started shooting the .32, I picked up a LEE .308 RB mold and have been using it on all my .32's.
    I use an old flannel shirt for patch material and can shoot it most of the afternoon without swabbing.
    Seems each .32 has it own characteristics, but are fun little shooters.
    As far as converting to percussion, I did convert my Pedersoli but they had everything available (except the drum) and I can switch it back at any time..
    If you have access to a lathe & mill, it should be easy enough to do.

Enjoy it, AntiqueSledMan.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You may find balls here that will work fine for you, with the right patches. Much easier to buy some of these, than casting for hours for a handful of balls.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Le...t/products/65/
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I've been wanting to try their #1.5 buckshot in mine but am concerned that it will be too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    I have that very same rifle, and what you say is pretty much what I have found to be true.
    Cool little rifle, but is more work to enjoy then either the .50 or .54 calibers.

RP
    Curious as to why you say it's more work than the larger bores? I recently assembled a .32 Pendersoli kit but haven't been able to get to a range with it yet so this topic is very timely and interesting for me.

Boolit Master
    The smaller bore fouls easier.
    Not a big deal.
    Also , handling the smaller balls and little scoops of powder takes some getting used to.

Boolit Buddy
    Once you get over the learning curve with a flinter, they run pretty well. I've killed 3 deer and a pile of squirrels and other critters with flintlocks. One thing I always do with the fiinters is to push a welding tip cleaner through the flash hole into the powder charge after loading and before priming the pan. Seems to help reliability a bit.

As far as hardness, I have a 34 cal percussion rifle that shoots OO Buck with a .015 patch. The buck I have, I bought from a guy years ago that cast it Hard! I have about 250 lbs of it. It shoots amazingly well - around an inch at 50 yards. I can't imagine a softer ball doing any better. I think the thick patch might be absorbing some of the issues from the hard ball, but it works great.

Boolit Master

My vote would be to leave it as it is. After a few shots you will figure things out.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Most definitely, rocklocks are fun! I use the same powder in the pan as down the barrel, also as mentioned above a tip cleaner to open up the charge works well. Some fellows stick the quill end of a feather in the touch hole during loading, does the same thing as the tip cleaner.

You'll never have to face a "shortage" of rocks - dance with who brung ya !
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I wish they had pawn shops over here that sold gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I've been wanting to try their #1.5 buckshot in mine but am concerned that it will be too hard.
    I have a little 32 capgun that I use "Winchester super hard chilled shot - 00 /SG " ---no problems at all. my caliper is kaput so cant measure these but they weigh 53 grains.

---most 32's are too small to take that size and its the only buckshot us Aussies have/had access to - I hunted around for quite a while to find that gun (wanted something for my daughter when she was a kid) --the whole thing is tight, its a shallow rifled barrel - japara patches and a mallet to load it but deadly to 50 yards. 32/20 case of FFFg ---CVA's and Pedersoli's would need a smaller ball and I didnt want to be fiddling around casting for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Have a percussion squirrel rifle I'd trade you for the flintlock.

I’d start with a .310 or .315 and different patch thickness to see what it likes. Good luck!

Bet you will love shooting that .32. Flint lock has a learning curve but are addictive. My local club is having a “small bore” (.40 and under) blanket shoot in Early April that should be a fun time. Been suggested we have a Squirrel shoot in the morning and a “Buffalo “ .54 and bigger in the afternoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast