Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: cast boolits in 35 rem model 14

Boolit Mold

cast boolits in 35 rem model 14

Hello,, i'm hoping to find someone a whole lot smarter than me to help me figure this out... i'm shooting a 1914 made rem model 14 in 35 rem,, casting the rcbs 35 200 ,, .360 sizer is sizing .3595.. coating with 3 coats of Hi-Tek with the GC on.. with a 42 gr charge of lever i'm crossing the chrony at 2198 fps,, this is the start up load for the hornady 200 gr round nose and it's supposed to run 2040 or there a bouts,,with the coating on the bullet the bore riding portion is realy snug, i have to slam the action shut to get her to lock up right,, without the coating everything runs smooth as silk,,do you think the coating could be causing a pressure spike,, i shut it down after that load went across,, my goal was something in the 1800-2000 fps range,, this is missouri bullet co. majic alloy and about 18,, ive never used an alloy that is this hard before,, any thoughts guys ?? thanks,, Ed

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I have a Model 141 in .35 Rem. One thing I found is that it doesn't have much throat. Lyman cast bullets had to be seated below the crimp groove to chamber. There would be marks from the rifling on the bullet nose and it wouldn't lock up at all if I didn't. I was using 3031, never tried Leverevolution so I can't help there. I did see on Hodgdon's website that max with 200 gr Hornady was 41.4 gr. That's my 2 cents.
    Good Luck.
    https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel...c=true&type=54

Boolit Grand Master
    Try it with one coat, or no coats of the hi-tek and see if you have different results. If you have to slam it shut, you are getting an interference fit somewhere.

Boolit Master
    My Youngest has a 14.. Same Boolit (cast by a member here) and run thru my antiquated 45 Lube/sizer and .359 die
    Never a Problem... Yet. But, besides sized and lubed with the 45, we use RE-7.. velocity?? not quite 2000fps.. but, close enough.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guy's,, i realy like this old model 14,, my .359 dies came in today,, i'm going to try it without the lube,, the rcbs 200's seemed to run alright,, the montana bullet works saeco # 352 at 245 gr lightly engraved the bore riding portion of the nose and engraved the first band in front of the crimp groove almost to the cas mouth,, i was trying the saeco's to get the 2.5 col so everything would feed right,, by trial and error figured out that with 2 in the magazine that the second pushes the 2.41 length loads into the feed ramps just fine,, this missouri bullet alloy is 18 hbn .. i was shooting for around 2000 or a little less,, but i set up 10 milk jugs of water and touched her off to see what kind of penitration i'd get,, she went through 7 and exited through the handle portion on the back side of the jug,, thats when i said woooow , ran the next across the chrony at 2198,, the hogddon yearly mag said that 42 gr was the start up load for the hornady 200 gr rn at 2040 if i remember correctly,, i was thinnking at the time of Veral Smiths cast at jacketed velocity's ,, next time i get up his way i''l have to pick up one of his books i guess. LOL are any of you guys running # 2 alloy or 50/50 coww/lead wit a touch of tin added,, these store bought alloy's are starting to get a little spendy.. thanks for your responses and advice guys... Ed