RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W SD9VE opinions?

Boolit Master
    The only defect with my sigma 9mm is the trigger pull. I am carrying it right now at this moment as my house gun. I have had for about 20 yrs. I have shot a few water moccasins with mine and one possum.
    I am planning to replace it with a glock that can accept the holosun red dot, it has a heavy trigger also, but it is still better than what trigger the sigma has on it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Gen 5 Glock 19 for the win, I have one and is sweet. The stock trigger pull feels really good to me. Light take up and then a smooth rolling break. Mine is apparently a very early one because it doesn't have front slide serrations.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I worked as a Range Safety Officer for the Sheriff’s Department back half for 20 years and we had so many problems with the cheap SVs that they Captain over the Training Department banned them for duty use!
    I would not bet my life on one!

How long ago was that? I have read that the 90's Sigmas were replete with problems. My usual shop won't sell any gun that has alot of comebacks, and he always has the new SD's in stock. Two of my co-workers have SD's and report no problems.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Ugh,I think I got da fever. Local pawn shop had a cherry SD9 under the glass. Exterior was perfect, not even any wear marks from the slide on the barrel, shiny bore. I asked their low price, they said three bills total and I could layaway it, so I did.

Gave my SD some exercise yesterday. More than any gun I've ever had, this thing will punish you for errors in grip or trigger pull. Even the placement of your trigger finger has a significant effect. I also switched the rear sight for that of an M&P. Sight picture is way better now, even though there's little visual difference between the two.

Did the same trick to the M&P rear sight that I did the original. I built up the bottom of the notch with strips of grip tape until the front dot sits neatly on it as I prefer. Gave it some exercise with 3.8 grains IMR Target under an Arsenal 358-130-RF and she did awesome. I'm really growing to like the SD trigger with the spring kit. It's really smooth and can stage it pretty easily. I'm still amazed at how much this pistol likes boolits, she just eats 'em right up with good accuracy and minimal fouling. Come to think of it, I've never put a single factory round or anything jacketed through it.

I'm still shooting the SD9 and can now shoot it as well as my trusty Glock 19's and Browning Hi-Power. This pistol is very boolit friendly from the get go, including the Lee 356-120-TC which not all pistols get along with. 3.8 grains IMR Target or 3.2 grains IMR 700X are very accurate with the Lee boolit and also Arsenal 359-130-RF.

I bought my SW9VE back in 2010 all it eats all the 9mm cast snacks I made for it. Been shooting them all this time and have never had one complaint.
    Last edited by shootingblanks00; 06-09-2023 at 11:30 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Gave my SD some exercise yesterday. More than any gun I've ever had, this thing will punish you for errors in grip or trigger pull. Even the placement of your trigger finger has a significant effect. I also switched the rear sight for that of an M&P. Sight picture is way better now, even though there's little visual difference between the two.
    Thanks for confirming, I believe, that M&P sights will interchange.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Well, now I have three of these very cast friendly pistols. Found a nice example on GB with two 10 round mags for a $150.00 starting bid. Nobody else wanted it so it is now mine, picked it up at the FFL yesterday. It already has the lighter springs installed and has a really nice trigger pull, on top of that it has a higher serial number than my other two.

Boolit Master
    My is loaded with +P+ federal at the moment. Gun has never jammed. But I do have some rust on the slide hold open catch. Got a little on the slide also from keeping it in a sweat soaked holster 24-7 for years. I carry it in a bandoleer holster.

I'm a big fan of cheap or modestly priced stuff that works really well, and the SD is a shining example. Even at new retail you are getting a great pistol and, since nobody respects them, a nice used example for cheap is even better. I love how it has a super simple design and parts are easy to find too. Good job S&W!

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a SW40VE and stupidly sold it, but now have 2 SW9VE's and they are great. Simple, reliable and have never had a malfunction with one. I've never had to trust my life to one, but there is one next to the bed-side at night. I even used Glock extended slide lock release levers to improve the slide lock release take-down ability. I find they fit my hand very, very well. And they digest anything I feed them. 'Nuff said.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Gave the new to me SD9 a test drive today and it shoots great, just like the other two. Still amazed at how cast friendly this barrel is, nothing but lube and powder fouling. In all my other pistols it's not uncommon to get some little streaks of leading in the lands but not with the SD's. Now to find an SD40 for cheap!

Boolit Master

I've had an SD9VE for at least 10 years now. Nothing but cast through it and have shot maybe 8000 rounds through it. An Apex Tactical trigger/spring kit in it which is nice , along with Truglo flourescent sights. Been a great gun.

The thing I have with the one I have it the sight that I work with , to get it to shoot on center is put the front o on top the 2 oo rear ones and it is dead center. For what ever i shoot in it , at first I had my gunsmith try it and check it and had his brother shoot it . It was shooing the same way for them. After I worked with it . I got it to shoot the way I posted , It shoots the same way as my Keltec P32 . I did let one person shoot it and told him what to do to shoot it and he cold not believe how dead on it is , that is why my own cast loads , factory will shoot dead on also for shooting the same way. Just to say for how I got my to work the way I wanted and use to to it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

You have to aim with the front dot above the rear dots? That's way off, you ought to contact S&W about it.

I’ll take a pistol that hits high over a pistol that hits low every day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Acquired a SW9VE in Afghanistan. Don't know how it got there but it only had one mag. Cut a new notch in plentiful M9 mags and while the bottom looked funny it worked 100%. We 0nly shot about a thousand rounds of M882 124 gr Ball thru it. No issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1294rz.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	317901
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast