54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lee Loader

15 27.78%
  • Lee Hand press

39 72.22%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Loaders or Lee Handpress?

Boolit Grand Master

I've walked through a lot of scenarios I could think of with a reloading SHTF setup. Every single one ends up the same as jmorris points out. There is no practical way to carry reloading supplies that isn't stupid. That's not to say there is no way to consider a reloading setup for bad times, but it does not involve a bug out pack. I wouldn't even consider it for an INCH bag. On top of that, a lee loader kit in rifles do not size the brass, they necksize only. That alone should discount it for any rifle use in really bad conditions. When it comes to pistols, I can't even remember how many rounds I could make. I doubt I could do more than 25 an hour. It isn't like the handpress where you could stage as many cases as you want. You kind of have to load one at a time fully with a lee kit, and it is very slow. It had its purpose on special hunting rounds, such as 41 magnum. I could not possibly imagine sitting down and loading 9mm luger with a set.

Boolit Master
    Haven't done either, but I'll advocate for a Loader.

With a Loader, you can leave the dies at home.

If there's ever a time to forgo gauging and trimming and only doing neck-sizing, it's on cases you just pulled out of your rifle.

If there's ever a time where banging with a hammer is quiet, it's at the range.

Reloading on the go in a bad situation could be made a little easier if you had a bullet puller, Lee dipper set, a scale and molds for whatever caliber you use.

Any found odd ammo could be pulled & analyzed.
    Powder would need to weighed against the volume to determine on Lee's powder slide chart to figure out what it is for possible future charges.
    I doubt anyone would have a problem with using small & large primers in anything they fit.

Castable alloys are fairly common around us. Maybe not ideal, but they are out there.
    For bare bones I think Lee loaders fill that this niche the best due to size & weight for a pack.

A Lee hand press would obviously be a luxury, but also a added burden in some regards.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    IDK how this became about Bug Out... But My $0.03
    Cap and Ball!!!!

Boolit Master
    I have a few Lee Loaders and a Lee Hand Press. As mentioned the Lee Loaders don't FL size and sooner or later it will be needed. I had a Lee target set of some type years ago, it did FL but hasn't been made in years. I have also used 310 tool, worked better than the Lee but no FL sizer. Lyman made a drive in sizer to compliment the 310, I have one in 30-06.

A Lee hand press along with dies,one of their case trimmers and a few other tools would be a nice compact kitchen table kit. A little slow but ammo would be on par with anything else. That would be my pick. I have tinkered with all the above and still have some of it, they are toys that I take out occasionally and play with. Nice to have options.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Between the Lee Loader & the Lee Hand press, what would you rather have with your or for on the move? Each has their merits and their downfalls.

I have never loaded with the Lee Loader, but I did pick up a .303B and made it into a Custom 7.62x39. I still need to test it out.
    I can see myself getting into other calibers.

I also have the Lee Hand press, I have used it over the years mainly for processing brass when away from the bench, I like it.
    I assume 'when you are on the move' means bugging out?

If it does, it will not matter much. You will not last long if you try to bug out during a SHTF event. Carrying ammunition is more sensible. No need to reload ammunition if your bug out guns are selected wisely. There will be plenty of ammunition to scavenge off the bodies of those you need to kill who are trying to kill you.

Stick with 9mm and .223. Ammunition should be plentiful. Light and compact ammunition allows you to carry more.

Carrying a couple of hundred primers packed together in a zip lock bag is not a good idea. One lucky shot and....

If you have some old cheap primers put 3 trays in a bag and shoot a .22 into them.
    Last edited by dverna; 03-05-2023 at 01:04 AM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

If you have some old cheap primers put 3 trays in a bag and shoot a .22 into them.
    Yea... Right!!!
    Nothin Cheap around here!!! But 9mm and/or 223 is fairly reasonable, and available by the Pallet!!!

I’d advocate again for the Lee Hand Press. It can do anything a single stage can do, with a bit of extra needed elbow grease. It’s fantastic for single die applications like decapping, sizing projectiles, and other tasks that are often done. In a pinch, you can reload exclusively using it.

Boolit Grand Master
    This thread is actually an open call call for Walter Mitty’s disciples to relate all of their bug-out fantasies. Pick any one and follow it for yourself. Unless you are actually preparing to do it, the rest is just idle speculation. If anyone really is going bug out, loaded ammo in factory or MTM style boxes will probably give you the best bug-out option. If you just want to reload a limited number of a single caliber at your hunting cabin/camp to relax and pay the time, your best option is loading with the compact Lee Loader (or a 310 tool). If you want to do extensive or specialty reloading away from home, you can pack a larger bag or box with a Lee hand press (or better yet, one of Buchanan’s) along with various dies, components and accessories… in short, a bulky batch of stuff to be a part of the reason for your trip, not just a small add-on. What do you really want to accomplish?

WALTER MITTY IS ALIVE AND WELL!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

I have no idea who Walter Mitty is, and a Google search brings up a fictional movie. MTM boxes are not good solutions for carrying ammo. The best way is in magazines. Loose in ziplock bags works well too.

I have them all_
    try to do a full res. of .44 magnum with a Lee Loader Kit.
    without any tool added.
    whatever lube of your choice.
    possibly without destroying the case rear face, your hand or the plastic (!) hammer
    then you understand why the Handpress is better_
    if someone can do the .44 job as per Lee LK instructions, SHTF or not,
    I'm here to learn
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

The best way Ive found to pack ammo is in mags or stripper clip packed bandoleers. I'm not carrying boxes of crap in a pack.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    About bugging out. There's no place to go. Hordes from cities will swarm into rural areas.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    I have them all_
    try to do a full res. of .44 magnum with a Lee Loader Kit.
    without any tool added.
    whatever lube of your choice.
    possibly without destroying the case rear face, your hand or the plastic (!) hammer
    then you understand why the Handpress is better_
    if someone can do the .44 job as per Lee LK instructions, SHTF or not,
    I'm here to learn
    The idea is you don't have to full length resize most calibers, other than 5.7 or other bottle necked ammo fired out of a non-locked breech. If you're reloading in the field, it's almost as useful to make ammo that will fit back into the gun it came out of, versus sitting under a tree to pump out reloads that will fit any SAAMI spec firearm... with your portable hand press and your bag full of case gauges, dies, lube, trimmers, powder cabinet, and kitchen sink.

Let's be real. The reason hand presses are useful is to do case prep while sitting in front of the TV, in close proximity to your bench and dies and lube and trimmers, etc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    The idea is you don't have to full length resize most calibers, other than 5.7 or other bottle necked ammo fired out of a non-locked breech. If you're reloading in the field, it's almost as useful to make ammo that will fit back into the gun it came out of, versus sitting under a tree to pump out reloads that will fit any SAAMI spec firearm... with your portable hand press and your bag full of case gauges, dies, lube, trimmers, powder cabinet, and kitchen sink.

Let's be real. The reason hand presses are useful is to do case prep while sitting in front of the TV, in close proximity to your bench and dies and lube and trimmers, etc.
    Very sensible...good response...
    I have reloaded Hundreds...maybe more of 357, 44mag, and 30-30's...because I was a Poor Enlisted man.. real estate was at a Premium...but I had room for the few components necessary stored with my meager Firearms..
    The good ole Days... I was in Shooters Heaven...

Boolit Master
    Well let’s see, the hand press, a Lee Collet neck sizing die, bullet seating die, and a powder scoop already calibrated for the load you’re using and your set for rifle. For pistol a carbide sizing die, bullet seating die, and a powder scoop and you’re good to go. And one last item, a powder funnel. Doesn’t seem like much to drag along, definitely don’t need the kitchen sink.

When I first started to load ammo was the Lee loader for 12 ga and 410 , I still have them. it is for 2 3/4 " and 3" for 12 and 2 1/2 " and 3" for 410. I have Mec and texan single stage press for them and some other ga .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

The hand press.

Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post

yes, avoid full res. contrasts with what is specified in the instructions for use, but it is certainly a more comfortable and feasible option, in .44 mag._
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

I still look back fondly on those days when all my reloading equipment (and components) would fit into a shoe box. And that could be the case for either a Lee Loader kit or the Lee Hand Press.

My first high power rifle was a .243 Win. and I used a Lee Loader for a few years before I got a press. Never had a problem with the neck size thing, but feeding two or more guns would be a problem I'm sure. Also I upped my game considerably when I got my first beam scale and a Speer book.

As far as Walter Mitty goes, everyone should READ the story or book. Most of us have known Walter, and sometimes BEEN Walter as we go through life. Especially the guys who have an extensive "bug out" plan. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast