Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Any “real” data on the 358 and 2400?

Boolit Bub

Any “real” data on the 358 and 2400?

So I’ve been playing with a new 358 and a few different boolit weights, and of course, 2400 is proving to be an economical and fun load to shoot. I’ve got the 3rd and 4th Lyman Cast Bullet handbooks, as well as their 49th and 51st edition of the reloading manuals, but I’m wondering if anyone has any chronograph or Quickload data on roughly 20 grains of 2400 and a 200 grain boolit?

The data in the 4th edition - showing (IIRC) 18 grains at 1679 (or 1697?) fps and 23 or 24 at 1979 (or at least under 2000) - seems to be slower than my notes show for some older (albeit smaller caliber) loads with 175-190 grain boolits. I know a lot of the data in the books is recycled, especially with older and less popular cartridges, but I’m just wondering if anyone has any ideas on where the load in the first paragraph is falling. With 2400, I’m not sure where barrel length really could play a role (this one is 20 inches), but there you go…

Thanks,
    Cree

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cree View Post
    So I’ve been playing with a new 358 and a few different boolit weights, and of course, 2400 is proving to be an economical and fun load to shoot. I’ve got the 3rd and 4th Lyman Cast Bullet handbooks, as well as their 49th and 51st edition of the reloading manuals, but I’m wondering if anyone has any chronograph or Quickload data on roughly 20 grains of 2400 and a 200 grain boolit?

The data in the 4th edition - showing (IIRC) 18 grains at 1679 (or 1697?) fps and 23 or 24 at 1979 (or at least under 2000) - seems to be slower than my notes show for some older (albeit smaller caliber) loads with 175-190 grain boolits. I know a lot of the data in the books is recycled, especially with older and less popular cartridges, but I’m just wondering if anyone has any ideas on where the load in the first paragraph is falling. With 2400, I’m not sure where barrel length really could play a role (this one is 20 inches), but there you go…

Thanks,
    Cree
    the rcbs cast book lists a load for the 358 win for 35-200- fn with 2400 powder min 23.0 --1986 max 25.0 --2043fps
    work up your loads
    GRT work up with a 20 inch barrel = 1932 fps +-

a 20g load I think would be below the case sealing range and below the accuracy node
    also when you drop below 60% fill SD and ES go way up = bad accuracy
    Last edited by Ford SD; 03-01-2023 at 11:49 AM.

Boolit Master

I like the MP 359/220 better with re7.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    Thanks - this weekend, I’ll move the load up a bit, although 20 grains has been accurate. That is really the whole reason for the question - the data I’ve found just seemed off a bit - not that I want or need 2400 to push well into 2000 fps, as there are far better powders for that speed. My own research and experience as well as a LOT of shared information here in CB suggests the range of printed charge weights and velocity spread in “the real world” was not aligned with the information in the manuals. I also know that pressure and velocity aren’t going to move linearly with changes in caliber, and/or weight, so a 7mm or 30 caliber pushing a heavier boolit isn’t the best basis for getting ideas on how a .359 piull is going to act.

Man, I need to get a chronograph!

Cree

Boolit Master
    Man, I need to get a chronograph!
    I know THAT feeling!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Even a cheap chronograph will work to give you your own comparisons to base decisions on as to what is too much velocity for you alloy. Just be careful with the all in one jobs, they tend to get perforated, right through the gizzard.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers