Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: What's the outdoor recreation reality in northern Virginia?

Boolit Mold

What's the outdoor recreation reality in northern Virginia?

Grandkids will grow up there, and I suspect we'll be moving there at some point. Coming from MT, it will be a change for sure. But being we're older now, it's not like we're able to pack out an elk in one trip, or backpack 15 miles into a mountain lake much anymore. We don't have a need to harvest, as such.

But will we at least find quality hiking, hunting, fishing, camping on public lands in N. Virginia? Will crowds midweek be an issue?

Boolit Master
    Plenty of parks and areas to get away and midweek is the likely the best. The middle of the state Carry’s the Appellation Trail. The downside being close to DC you often have to deal with cityiots all over and there will be a definite culture shock. Sadly with in increase of dems in the state escaping other areas we’re slowly losing the state to the lunacy of the progressive agenda. We chose to settle here in Northern Virginia and retire here but it’s sad to see the changes. We at least have a republican governor for the moment. Probably the greatest feature we do have are the abundant wineries in the state.

Let me know if you have any specific questions

Moderator Emeritus

When I was looking to move from Jersey, I drew a "four hour" travel circle from Philly. Daughter lives there and son still in Jersey. I knew Virginia was in political trouble and going blue over six years ago. Crossed Virginia off my list. Pennsylvania was to expensive for what I wanted (thankfully) and found what I was looking for in West Virginia. Very gun friendly, very low taxes, etc.. Just stay away from the Eastern Panhandle of Morgan and outward. Blue/purple mentality. Hopefully get rid of Sen Manchin soon. I am 45 minutes from Winchester, VA and the same from Cumberland, Maryland to give perspective. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    You may wish to consider a rental over buying at first. Neighbors are a big deal. And I tried living in a blue town a few years, and they never were interested in talking. Moved over 8 or 9 blocks, same story. No one wants to be neighborly or friendly. In the woods now and love my neighbors...just wished they loved me more than my beer....the older generations this may not be an issue, but with mine it is.

Ive been to Montana, Missoula and Fort Benton area, and was very successful in striking up conversations. Everyone was friendly.

In my blue state/and town here, not many wanna talk. Many dont care if they have friends. Just be ready to scout neighborhoods. One day Ill be in Montana for good.

I got weird looks at first, but when I wanna talk I hang out at the senior center. They have a killer lunch menu for just a few bucks. Only problem its easy to kill 2 or 3 hours. Ill take friends anyway i can.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I don’t know how much things have changed over the years, but I remember seeing some beautiful country there in the seventies.

Boolit Mold
    Sounds like things everywhere are different nowadays. I'm not all that old, but can remember when the coca cola commercial song talked about "200 million people" in the U.S. I think it's near 340 million now.
    But I do understand that everyone has a want or need to get out into nature.

Boolit Buddy
    I grew up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball357 View Post
    But will we at least find quality hiking, hunting, fishing, camping on public lands in N. Virginia? Will crowds midweek be an issue?
    Depends how "northern" you mean. For some NOVA suggests "inside the beltway." As you travel either south or west from Washington the country opens up. Relatively close to the DC area you can be in the Chesapeake region or on the Potomac, that's still very rural; that's south of DC; heading west you will be out toward Loudon County, Warrenton etc. and then you start approaching WV. There is a lot to be gotten to within a reasonable drive. You have western VA and WV within a 75-min drive; southern VA has a lot to offer too. One thing VA has that's different from a lot of other places is that even in most of the developed areas there are still a lot of trees. You can live in the suburbs of NOVA and have miles of walking trails in your backyard. Like metricmonkeywrench said there are many parks, and they're pretty nice parks.

I can't speak to the NOVA hunting as it was mostly fishing on the Potomac for my family growing up.

If you don't mind what part of northern VA are you thinking of?

You may want to consider the Eastern Panhandle of WV. Depending on what part of Northern Va. they are in, the drive could be anywhere from a few minutes to about an hour. WV politics are very conservative and Va. is rapidly joining the Dems. mindset. Jefferson & Berkely counties are the closest to N. Va.

WV is a Constitutional carry state although CCW permits are easy to get and I believe have reciprocity with over 30 states. You have to take a class and apply to the Sheriff's office.

No hoops to jump through when purchasing a firearm other than an instant background check. In almost all cases you can walk out the door with what you purchase the same day.

If you decide to move this way let me know. I can suggest a good shooting club in Jefferson county.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Mold
    Open book,
    Likely in the area west of Leesburg within an hour drive of it. Having public lands & few people around will probably dictate where we land.
    Glad to hear there are some possibilities!

Sasquatch-1,
    WV would suit us fine. And yes, I'd love to find a range suited for my Sharps.
    Thanks for the offer.

Boolit Buddy
    Open book,
    Likely in the area west of Leesburg within an hour drive of it. Having public lands & few people around will probably dictate where we land.
    If you are west of Leesburg you will have all the open country, hiking, camping, and shooting you want. Plus super-easy access to WV for even more. I'd say you're in the clear in that location.

Sometimes they say that Leesburg is the new 'burbs of DC. It has gotten more and more developed. Much different from 20 years ago. But west of it things open up real quick.

Open book,

Sasquatch-1,
    WV would suit us fine. And yes, I'd love to find a range suited for my Sharps.
    Thanks for the offer.
    I don't know if you have looked at it but I PM'ed you yesterday with some info about the Eastern Panhandle area.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I don't know if you have looked at it but I PM'ed you yesterday with some info about the Eastern Panhandle area.
    Watch the blue/purple area there. I would look at Hampshire County if looking at the Panhandle. Course I am a bit biased living in Hampshire but there are differences with Morgan county and such.

Boolit Mold
    MrWolf & Sasquatch-1

Thanks, & see PM's