WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tractor and Truck Mossberg

Boolit Buddy
    If legal, this sounds like open carry with a holstered hand gun and a moderate amount of weekly practice would be a better solution. I would not look forward to mastering a pistol grip 12 gauge.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chena View Post
    If legal, this sounds like open carry with a holstered hand gun and a moderate amount of weekly practice would be a better solution. I would not look forward to mastering a pistol grip 12 gauge.
    I have concerns as well, but intend to tailor the load to something manageable, at least for practice loads and have a bit stiffer load for "use". Open carry is legal and has been considered. Two drawbacks on a pistol is how effective it would be on a bear at close range and, for a two legged threat, a shotgun is going to be more of a deterrent than a pistol. On the two legged stuff, deterrence is a high priority as I do not want to shoot someone...just have them go away.
    Don Verna

Don: I would suggest a Magpul SGA Stock and Fore End for you M Bergs also do get the Magpul Adapter ($6-8) to be able to run the big Remington Recoil Pad. See my What I did to my Shotguns Thread for pics and explanation.

In your case I would carry the shotgun with a Velcro Side Saddle with a variety of loads to cover whatever you are gonna run into. Maybe a couple more Velcro Side saddles stuck with Velcro Tape around the cab so you have plenty of ammo should you need it. You'd need a sturdy rack or some kind of holder that would solidly hold the gun vertically as it will be getting bounced around when you are working.

You know my aversion to heavy loads and your reloads can be built around your existing Trap Loads, Buckshot /Slugs etc.. Have the gun loaded "Cruiser Ready" IE; Loaded Magazine, Hammer Down on Empty Chamber, Safety Off, so all you do is rack the slide and you are ready to go. If you are going to use the Shotgun, you are going to be out of the cab anyway so why not have a full length stock that you can shoulder normally and be more accurate with?

As a secondary gun, one of your pistols, so if you get surprised up close, you can deal with that threat with a more appropriate gun for close quarters A holster hung in the cab in a quickly accessible place where you can get at it in a heartbeat is the answer...

Since I live in CA and can't carry a gun legally, I have one of these stuck to my Dash Board that is right in front of me and I can grab it quickly and give any wanna car hijackers a face full of love. Once I hit the with that, and they are writhing in pain, I will be going back and shooting some right up their nose for a more lasting effect. $15 at most gun shops or you can get it off Amazon. It shoots a stream instead of a fog. Less blow back like that!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2327.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-05-2023 at 05:42 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Randy,

Appreciate the comments and advice. I know you have done a lot of training and that matters.

The pepper gel is intriguing. IIRC there was a time when it was not legal in MI but I checked and we can use it but are limited to 1.2 oz (35 gm) cans. I saw some poor reviews on Amazon so not sure I want to stake my life on it but have not dismissed completely. Not needing to kill a threat is a big plus.

I can carry either concealed or open. Not too shabby with a pistol so it in the mix of options. Like you said, no reason not to have both a pistol and shotgun available. I have a Kahr that I carried when I was working in an office. Might try the Glock 22 but it may be a bit too bulky when working hard and getting on and off the tractor multiple times a day. Pistols are not a great choice as a truck gun as that is considered concealed carry and I cannot have a blood alcohol of more than .02. I reach that level after one drink and that would affect my lifestyle. I need to research if having the pistol in a locked box separate from ammunition would "skirt" the concealed carry regulations.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12