RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tractor and Truck Mossberg

Boolit Grand Master

Tractor and Truck Mossberg

I would like opinions and, even better, experience with carrying a shotgun in the cab of a tractor.

I have standardized on Mossberg 500’s for self defense shotguns. I buy them cheap and add 18.5” after market barrels.

With a standard stock, it will still be a bit unwieldy in the cab of a tractor. I am wondering how the “cruiser” grip would work? Has anyone used one and what are your thoughts?

My plan is to reload 2 3/4” light recoil loads using buckshot. Hopefully, with a light load I will not need a stock to “shoulder” the recoil.

I am also considering having guns like that in our trucks.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    We always carried a 25/20 or 30/30 in the tractor cabs.

Boolit Grand Master

I hate those grips. Sure, there are people out there that have got halfway decent with the cruiser and shockwave grips. Just imagine if they put that kind of time into a real stock. Have you considered a folding stock? I've seen both top folders and side folders that are decent. By decent I mean they are better than nothing. Compared to a regular stock they are slow, awkward, and cheek weld is not that great. They are super compact, and they aren't that bad though. Myself, I use full-size regular stocks. I just don't expect to get it out in a flash, mines always in a case anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

For me, it would depend on the range that you are planning to shoot at. Seven to ten yards a pistol grip would be fine. Anything further than that and I would either use a full stock or a side folding stock. UNLESS, you practice extensively with the pistol grip stock! I have been able to break 19 out of 25 birds on a regulation skeet field.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I just shorten the wood stock to about a 12" pull with the thick soft recoil pad I put on them. I have a couple for the tractor, pick-ups, and my shop. I have a .Mossberg pump .410 that came with a wooden stock and the pistol grip. Some think the pistol grip looks 'cool', but only works 'OK' on rattlers inside 10 feet, I tried it but went back to shortened wood stock with recoil pad.

Boolit Grand Master
    I should elaborate.

I had to draw a gun on a trespasser in August. He is “TROUBLE”. Long rap sheet. The local LEO’s know him too well and want to put him away but who knows what will happen. His trial is coming up. He has served time before. Anyway....a piece of work.

My concerns are this guy and bear protection in case I get between a sow and her cub. I do not need long range accuracy. Of course, if a coyote comes along I will want to take it out. But a miss on a yote is not a big deal.

I am good with a shotgun and shot AAA Trap for a while.

I decided to order a grip and try it out. Less than $30 so worth playing with.

I had a CAS shotgun with a 12” LOP and it was very fast. A short LOP may be nibble enough and offer both less recoil and more precision.

When it comes to serious work, money is not a big factor.

Whatever I go with, I will be doing a lot of testing and practice.

Share your ideas and suggestions...much appreciated.

MostlyLever....did not see your post until after I posted. I think you may be right.
    Don Verna

This Maverick youth model is doing great service 24/7/365 in my Mule. I can shoot the short stock well enough. At 6’ 2” I need the slip on pad to keep my thumb knuckle from my nose(don’t laugh) during recoil.
    An 18-1/2” barrel would be even handier, but I like the choke tubes.
    It’s carried in a canvas scabbard behind the seat. On my open cab tractor, I have a vertical canvas case for it or a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light recoiling loads will probably be fine on trespassers, but not so sure about bears..................

Moderator Emeritus

Don,
    I think you have two separate scenarios going IF I understand you. Driving a tractor, do you have bears that would attack a tractor or you on one? I can't see an animal attacking me or even coming near me on mine. As far the bad guy, maybe a rifle vs the shotgun for the range. Why let him get close? Sorry if I missed what was being asked.
    Ron

Edit: just saw the comment about wanting in the trucks also. Nevermind my rambling makes sense now.

Well in my case it would be a Rem 870, but that is a personal taste thing.

In your state does a firearm have to be unloaded and cased to be legal in a vehicle?

Remember that unloaded = no round in the chamber. Does not say the magazine tube can't be full.

As to the cased, a zippered case with a couple of attachment points, one quick pull on a zipper and your in business.
    Rack one round into the chamber and replace the round in the mag and your ready to go.

For the trucks you want good cases and a box of ready ammo with a variety of loads including slugs, hvy buckshot, dueces, and birdshot.
    Heck if you reload you can even salvage fired air rifle pellets in .177 and .22. Those would work nicely for both the buckshot and the Dueces.

As to your problem child a rifle zero'd on your gate/driveway would be a good thing. Buy a squash and spike it onto a fencepost. Next time he walks by, blow it with the rifle.
    Then tell him, next time its your head.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Light recoiling loads will probably be fine on trespassers, but not so sure about bears..................
    Bears here are small. Most averaging about 175-200 lbs and a really big one 350 lbs. Living where I do, bears are not accustomed to people, so they want no part of us. The concern is accidently getting between sow and her cub. I will be doing a lot of tractor work this year close by where we have the dumpster, and they are attracted to the garbage. I have to chain the lids down or they make a mess. Cannot shoot a bear for being a bear and wanting to forage so strictly for SD.
    Don Verna

I carry a 16" AR with bungie cord holding it in the rack. The Bungie cord was added after an unfortunate loss of an AR to a 6' bush hog, they make a mess out of an AR by the way.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    If you have 2 legged issues id make sure you can get to it from the ground just as easy as the seat.

Maverick 88 below. Used to get em for around 200. Holds 7 at 2.75. At 2" oal it holds 10. Handy length.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails download (1).jpeg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Well in my case it would be a Rem 870, but that is a personal taste thing.

In your state does a firearm have to be unloaded and cased to be legal in a vehicle?

Remember that unloaded = no round in the chamber. Does not say the magazine tube can't be full.

As to the cased, a zippered case with a couple of attachment points, one quick pull on a zipper and your in business.
    Rack one round into the chamber and replace the round in the mag and your ready to go.

For the trucks you want good cases and a box of ready ammo with a variety of loads including slugs, hvy buckshot, dueces, and birdshot.
    Heck if you reload you can even salvage fired air rifle pellets in .177 and .22. Those would work nicely for both the buckshot and the Dueces.

As to your problem child a rifle zero'd on your gate/driveway would be a good thing. Buy a squash and spike it onto a fencepost. Next time he walks by, blow it with the rifle.
    Then tell him, next time its your head.
    Not True in all states. In California, that is only legal while transporting a firearm while hunting. Otherwise, a loaded firearm--even if the chamber is empty-- can get you a spiffy fine, as well as cost you the gun.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I bale hay during the summers here (at least when we get enough rain), and carry a pistol in a military ammo box, which is bolted to a fender. I could wear something on my belt, but the box keeps it hidden until needed.

Of course, we don't have any bears in this area - but two legged varmints are found loitering about on occasion. Much more likely that I wind up shooting a coyote or rattlesnake which got stirred up by the mo-co. If I had a mind to carry a shotgun, I'd drop my '97 pump into a scabbard and mount it to the fender.

Boolit Master

I like the "bantam" 12" LOP stocks for kids, females, or officers wearing a 1/2" to 3/4" thick layer of Kevlar.

I am emphatically NOT a fan of pistol-grip only shotguns; inaccurate, slow rate of fire, and often painful to shoot even with the softer loads. Consider that while your barrel length is dictated by law, your practical overall length includes how far back from the trigger your elbow extends, and that length is going to be the same whether there's a stock on the gun or not. I'll take the version I can shoulder and actually aim effectively with, thanks.

Another problem I have with pistol grips is that these were designed as sporting shotguns with controls NOT designed to be accessed from a grip like that. For the Mossberg especially, accessing the action release and safety get considerably more complicated.

You are on the right track with Mossbergs for carrying on a tractor. I've been an 870 armorer for 20 years now, and that familiarity has bred, if not exactly contempt, then at least frequent frustration with the semi-permanent/solid state nature of many of Remington's components when they break or need attention. With the 500/590, all that stuff is easy out / easy in. Also, while it doesn't matter much with a competent operator, the 'bergs are more forgiving to those for whom it may have been a while.
    Last edited by Bigslug; 03-02-2023 at 10:28 AM.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Dad had a cabs on the tractors he used for most of the farming
    My brother has also gotten tractors with cabs

They both carried shotguns in the cab for groundhogs
    All the tractors have pair of straps to hold a shotgun against the ceiling of the cab on the right side
    I gave dad a 12 gau 870 with a slug barrel
    But the slug barrel takes choke tubes
    So I stuck a Mod choke tube in the slug barrel
    My brother also uses the same barrel on a 870
    They both use 1 1/2 oz of BB reloads that I load

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I would like opinions and, even better, experience with carrying a shotgun in the cab of a tractor.

I have standardized on Mossberg 500’s for self defense shotguns. I buy them cheap and add 18.5” after market barrels.

With a standard stock, it will still be a bit unwieldy in the cab of a tractor. I am wondering how the “cruiser” grip would work? Has anyone used one and what are your thoughts?

My plan is to reload 2 3/4” light recoil loads using buckshot. Hopefully, with a light load I will not need a stock to “shoulder” the recoil.

I am also considering having guns like that in our trucks.
    We have numerous tractors. The cab tractor has a single padded mount mounted vertically and holds a rifle or shotgun straight up and down and work well. The open cab tractors have horizontally mounted padded rifle mounts and the rifle or shotgun go horizontally on the brace bars that cross the front end loader....been a cop for over 35 years and truly hate the pistol grips and will not use them!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I would go with manufactured low recoil buckshot. Using reloads for inflicting wounds on a known 2 legged problem might be problematic in criminal and civil court. Deadly force is deadly force.

Look at the Rem TAC 14 or the Mossberg version. They have a 14" bbl and a birds head grip. I have rural land that has my tractor and equipment in a small building and in a 40' shipping container. Meth heads have taken the copper out of my building 3 times and broken into my container twice. The last time it was broken into fairly certain they were there when I arrived. I used to carry just a M 64 S&W when I got out of my vehicle to unlock the gate. Now when I get out to unlock my gate I have my TAC 14 loaded up and my S&W 64 on my hip.
    I purchased my TAC 14 for more of a fun thing and had low expectations of it's usefulness. After shooting it on a few outings I realized it is a pretty useful gun. I also keep it in our bedroom. I shoot 3/4 oz 12 ga loads in mine most of the time for practice but load with 000 buck for my land and trap loads at home. Also load the Lyman 12 sabot slug to to an equivalent of a 2-3/4 DR 1-1/8 oz trap load.

I have an open cab tractor and do not carry my TAC 14 just carry my usual S&W 64 either a 4" or a 2" version loaded with NOE 180 WFN over Aliant Power Pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast