RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22lr bench rest bullet trap

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Beautiful job there mister.

Attachment 311102. I like this too
    Thanks Martin, now I like that ferris wheel design. It looks a lot simpler than what I did, if I saw that when I was looking I may have gone that route.
    Armed society is a polite society
    Live A Little Learn A Lot

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tobin View Post
    Don I weighed it yesterday and it was 120 lbs plus it will be mounted in the back stop. So yours has more portability, how is that PCP going anyway?
    The Daystate is shooting well. I have found that adding 20 drops of Ballistol to a tin of Crosman Premier 14.3 gr pellets gives me a slight improvement in accuracy. 10 five shot groups at 50 yards came in at .65" with quartering 5 mph wind. 15 ten shot groups at 25 yards averaged .491" with an 8 mph crosswind.

I am not good at shooting in the wind, so I am pleased with that level of performance. Economical fun at a penny and a half per shot. The gun does better with JSB and Air Arms pellets, but I cannot justify spending three as much for the marginal gain in performance.

I think our friend OS OK would cut my groups by 1/3 or more with the setup he has to gauge wind. I am too lazy to go there but I admire those who do. Plus, it is "nice" to have an excuse for mediocre results...LOL!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The Daystate is shooting well. I have found that adding 20 drops of Ballistol to a tin of Crosman Premier 14.3 gr pellets gives me a slight improvement in accuracy. 10 five shot groups at 50 yards came in at .65" with quartering 5 mph wind. 15 ten shot groups at 25 yards averaged .491" with an 8 mph crosswind.

I am not good at shooting in the wind, so I am pleased with that level of performance. Economical fun at a penny and a half per shot. The gun does better with JSB and Air Arms pellets, but I cannot justify spending three as much for the marginal gain in performance.

I think our friend OS OK would cut my groups by 1/3 or more with the setup he has to gauge wind. I am too lazy to go there but I admire those who do. Plus, it is "nice" to have an excuse for mediocre results...LOL!
    I'm sure if you had a light wind day you could get .5 at the fifty

I doubt I could do that Don. Something I've just recently realized is that no matter how tight I manage to get a group together there is always that wind factor of error included. Once I started trying to understand how the wind works on my range it became even more fun to work on grouping.
    It is frustrating too but the more you work at it the more satisfaction there is in any shooting session and especially so when you get acceptable results.

When you get your first tight group using Kentucky Windage...where your POA is not on the 'X', yet you see them grouping in & around the 'X'...you will be elated!
    It seems at first like there's too much grey area around calling the wind but with practice you get better & better.

One of the guys over on RimfireCentral <(? - JAIA ?) said...to shoot with precision you not only need small groups but you need to hit what your aiming at. That's where the small green spots came from...if I group on that spot, I have shot with precision...if I group off the spot, regardless of group size...it is a fail. Set high expectations of yourself and your auxiliary equipment and your sessions will become much more rewarding.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy

End caps

Finally had the chance to make the end caps for the tube, it’s held together with a 1/4" thru threaded rod

Last edited by Harry Tobin; 02-28-2023 at 05:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I bought a Champion .22lr trap and it was a disappointment from the get go. It has some fairly wide gaps around the top and bottom side and if you shoot much you will find a layer of lead fragments on each side of the trap. I don't know why they would make a trap with openings like that but they did. The only cure would be to take the trap to a wwelder and get him to tack weld some pieces to close up the gaps. That will add to an already fairly expensive trap. james
    Hi James, now could you bolt some angle steel in the corners to cover the gaps?

Harry ... that FORD BLUE color alone is going to knock .100" off your groups!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Harry ... that FORD BLUE color alone is going to knock .100" off your groups!
    You BASTARD!

Keeping essential secrets from us.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Harry that is the plan right now. AS soon as I can go angle hunting but first I have to decide whether I need the 30-06 or maybe the .41 magnum will do. I haven't hunted angles before. lol, james

You BASTARD!

Keeping essential secrets from us.

Boolit Buddy

Last Detail the lead scraper

For the last thing I wanted was a clean out tool for the tube, that I can just hang that on the backside of the back stop

No wonder they call you 'BACKYARD INVENTOR' Harry...you think of everything! ...

Boolit Mold
    Nicely Done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12