MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Ruger Ranch Optic

Boolit Buddy

Ruger Ranch Optic

I have a RAR in 450 Bushmaster that was bought to use as a brush gun. Of coarse, it doesn't have iron sights so I have to mount an optic.

It will get beat to death so the optic must hold up to riding on an ATV and knocked around in the woods.

I'm looking at Leupold's VX3HD 1.5-4 but the 150 yds parallax setting concerns me (not sure it will be an issue). I'm also looking at Trijicon 1-4 and the VX5 1-5, however, I really don't want to spend 800-1100 on scopes that will get beat to heck.

Most of the 1-4, 1-6 & 1-8 have tactical cool reticles and are too busy for a brush gun...IMO

I'm also thinking about a red dot.

Any suggestions, recommendations and/or thoughts.

Boolit Master
    Folks seem to be gravitating to the Red Dots... I have never used one... so... please keep us posted if you go that way...as I too am "leaning"

Boolit Master
    Red dots are a great replacement for iron sights. Especially for us with older eyes. You can also get removable magnifiers for some of them if you end up needing to extend your range.

But, if you expect to use magnification most of the time, get a scope. There are many with illuminated reticles if you need low light capability.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Nodak Spud used to make a fully adjustable GI style sight set for them, I have it on my RAR and love it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never really used a red dot sight on a rifle; but they seem to be doing well on the semi autos, and may be superb on a brush gun.

As for scopes, it is very hard to beat a Leupold in the real world.

Robert

It's a green dot sight. It's super light, super simple to use, not terribly expensive and so far no problems. Had it on a 308 Winchester Ruger Hunter before I put it on this RAR300 BO.

Been switching optics between those two rifles.

I have not decided which is better between this, or the 1-4 Leupold.

Boolit Buddy
    Leopold makes a 1x4 shotgun model with 75 yd parallax, duplex reticle.

Boolit Master
    I was going to make this same post today but for a RAR 300 BLK. Recycled Bullet has a nice sight but I would choose one with less height to it for a bolt action. TRS-25 is only light 50 bucks and holds up well on my 45-70.

As for a bolt I am looking more for a scope. I am with you on the tactical to busy stuff. Just need crosshairs and some low power.

TXCOONDOG I am watching this post as I am watching a RAR 450 bushy at my local store. I need to find out how they shoot with cast ammo before I pull the trigger. I have to many lets say copper flingers going on lately.

Going to keep an eye on this thread but sorry I do not have a suggestion for you.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    It might be a little while before I might be able to tell anyone what worked best for me. I wish Leupold still made the VXR line as the 1.25-4 with the Pig Plex would have been perfect for this rig in brush and at first/last light.

I looked for the Leupold 1-4 shotgun scope on Leupold's website and didn't see anything. Considering eye relief, eye box (very important), coatings, bold duplex reticle, weight (not the most important),warranty, and overall the best value for features; The VX3HD 1.5-5 is at the top of the list. Still trying to locate locally a VX Freedom 1.5-4 to look at.

I'm loading up my cast today and start testing tomorrow at the range with 250 (plain base) & 300 (GC'd) grainers (both PC'd) using Accurate # 9.

Here is a thread I started about cast in the 45-70 & 450 BM that may help someone:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ds-and-Die-Set

For load development, I took a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 off another rifle.

Keep it coming as I appreciate the input.

PS: OR, I picked up the TRS-25 off Amazon using my points (paid zero). This will give me an inexpensive starting point to see if I want to go and stay with a red dot on a rifle. I have a Holosun 508T GR X2 on my S&W and a Delta Point Pro on a G40 10mm pistols. The only issue I've had with them is leaves, dust, rain, etc. has gotten on the glass and obstructed my view or blocked the transmitter a few times (lesson learned) so I definitely know the transmitter has to be enclosed.
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 02-28-2023 at 10:45 AM. Reason: additional information

Boolit Master

Given that your ammo probably has the trajectory of a bowling ball thrown by a toddler, a red dot seems the natural choice.

Assuming this is an AR platform (?) I like the Aimpoint PRO and Holosun AEMS for value at price point. If it's not an AR, you'll want something without the riser mount, or on which the riser can be removed. I think it's one of the Holosun 503 series I ended up with on my Ruger PCC

The Leupold 1.5-5 and 2.5-8 are great scopes if you forsee a need for magnification.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Williams/Lyman/Marble's sights will work just fine on your rifle, just need some basic gunsmithing to install. Somebody now makes a receiver sight for the American, I wanna say it's Williams or Skinner. Even paying retail for sights and installation you are still going to be spending less than what a decent red dot costs.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I have a Leupold Red Dot on my MSR 450 but feel a LPV is better suited for the bolt gun. I have a 3X M8 Leupold on mine. A 1-4 or 1-5 or newer 1-6 would all give ability for both eyes open 1x fast close shooting while still offering magnification for lil more precision longer shots. I am very happy with Both the Red Dot on M$R and the (fav) M83X Leupold.

One extra piece of advice. Choose solid quality mounts!! I cganged out to all steel Leopold turn in rings AND glued bottom rings cause they STILL walked under recoil.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I have a Leupold Red Dot on my MSR 450 but feel a LPV is better suited for the bolt gun. I have a 3X M8 Leupold on mine. A 1-4 or 1-5 or newer 1-6 would all give ability for both eyes open 1x fast close shooting while still offering magnification for lil more precision longer shots. I am very happy with Both the Red Dot on M$R and the (fav) M83X Leupold.

One extra piece of advice. Choose solid quality mounts!! I cganged out to all steel Leopold turn in rings AND glued bottom rings cause they STILL walked under recoil.

CW
    I mounted the scope using Seekin rings so hopefully they will hold. This is a fairly light gun as you know and it will be interesting to see if I can take the recoil shooting off the bench....alot different than standing shooting a rifle. I do have a lead sled but only will use if my shoulder gets sore. My estimated velocities will range from 1500-2000 fps....let the fun begin!!!!!

If you can find a Weaver V3 1-3x20 scope, buy it! It is a very high quality made in Japan scope and even more compact than the straight tube Leupolds. I have one on my Marlin 336 Texan and love it. Perfect little scope for short to medium range and yes, it lets in enough light for any legal shooting hours.

I have the Leupold 1x4 with the Pig Plex on my Ruger American Ranch 300 BO. I wish I would have bought half a dozen of those pig plex scopes, I love it on that rifle.
    And I have the Weaver 1-3x on my Ruger American Ranch .223. I like it too - but prefer the pig plex Leupold. My tired old eyes pick up that pig plex reticle fast. A useful thing for a short range rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    My son has a Burris 3x9x40 with a 450 bushmaster reticle thats good to 500 yds. I loaded some 230 gr hard ball rnds for it at around 2100 fps, really eases the recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by hporter View Post
    I have the Leupold 1x4 with the Pig Plex on my Ruger American Ranch 300 BO. I wish I would have bought half a dozen of those pig plex scopes, I love it on that rifle.
    And I have the Weaver 1-3x on my Ruger American Ranch .223. I like it too - but prefer the pig plex Leupold. My tired old eyes pick up that pig plex reticle fast. A useful thing for a short range rifle.
    Took an absolute monster of a buck in very dim light with that little Weaver atop my 336 Texan in 2021. If I had to replace it I would probably go with the Leupold FX 2.5x20.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Leupold FX 2.5x20.
    That would be nice one to have too.

Boolit Master

That ol Leupold 2.5 is a classic quality DG optic!

Excellent choice! I have a couple but this M8 3x is special to me. Just a slightly longer optic then the short 2.5.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw