RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 Cal, tip up.

Boolit Master

22 Cal, tip up.

I have a 22 CAL, tip up single shot that tips up for loading like a MAYNARD riffle. same type of action. it is marked J. STEVENS ARMS CO. CHICKOPEE FALLS. MASS. and has the marking on the side MARKSMAN. any one know what it is and is it a MAYNARD GUN.

It sounds like you have the Stevens no. 12 rifle. It has the Maynard style action but is a Stevens Marksman model.
    They were an improvement over the earlier Maynard Jr. no. 15 rifle the no. 12 was produced from 1912 - 1933 and were in 22 long, 25 long, and 32 long rimfire calibers.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    It sounds like you have the Stevens no. 12 rifle. It has the Maynard style action but is a Stevens Marksman model.
    They were an improvement over the earlier Maynard Jr. no. 15 rifle the no. 12 was produced from 1912 - 1933 and were in 22 long, 25 long, and 32 long rimfire calibers.

Jedman
    thank you so much sir, for the reply to my question. now I know that I sorta have a true MAYNARD action 22. are they scarce & any value to them, mine is about 60%. if you know?

I have a Stevens Marksman in .22 long. It is very rough, heavy rust from sitting in a barn for years. I shoot shorts through it. It's a fun little rifle. Even in it's terrible condition I paid $150, it was worth it to me.

Boolit Buddy
    While not a true Maynard action it works on the same principal as the Maynard. They are one of the better Stevens boys rifles. The lever screws are quite small and a little wear makes the action lock up loosely.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Goose View Post
    I have a Stevens Marksman in .22 long. It is very rough, heavy rust from sitting in a barn for years. I shoot shorts through it. It's a fun little rifle. Even in it's terrible condition I paid $150, it was worth it to me.
    I agree with you, I rely like mine & it functions with out a flaw. thanks for the price check. the only bad thing with mine is that the toe of the but plate about 1 inch is missing, but the S with STEVENS in it is intact.

Boolit Master
    Deadeye Bly. mine locks up rely tight with no slop. did STEVENS copy the MAYNARD design? just courious?

Boolit Buddy
    Stevens bought out Maynard after Dr Maynard passed away but never produced any Maynards. They made several prototypes of improved Maynards but never put any of them in production. The Marksman works similar to the Maynard in that the barrel tips up by lowering the lever but it is not a copy of the Maynard.

Boolit Grand Master
    Along about that time they even labeled one of their tip up rifles the “Maynard Jr” to profit from the Maynard reputation.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    Stevens bought out Maynard after Dr Maynard passed away but never produced any Maynards. They made several prototypes of improved Maynards but never put any of them in production. The Marksman works similar to the Maynard in that the barrel tips up by lowering the lever but it is not a copy of the Maynard.
    thank you so much sir for the history lesion on them. does any one know where that I can get a replacement but plate?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Along about that time they even labeled one of their tip up rifles the “Maynard Jr” to profit from the Maynard reputation.
    capitalism at it's best. any thing to make a buck, even back in the day.

Boolit Buddy
    pix please

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    thank you so much sir for the history lesion on them. does any one know where that I can get a replacement but plate?
    There is a seller on eBay that has a lot of reproduction butt plates for old guns. I looked and there is a Stevens butt plate that just has the word STEVENS in a S shaped form that probably is not the exact style your rifle had originally but if it is near the correct size it does look period correct.

Jedman

Boolit Master

butt plate - I got one off ebay for an English model Stevens. It fits and works to task, but is awfully crude. Looks like a child made it. but it works

The only major similarity that the Marksman has to the Maynard is that the barrel is held tightly to the water table by a toggle linkage. An excellent feature.

It's a pretty strong action for a boys' rifle. Stevens produced a centerfire version (Model 101) with a shotgun barrel chambered for the old 44-Shot round. Some misguided individuals have lengthened the chamber to take a .410 shell. These don't blow up immediately, but I doubt many get shot much. The recoil would be "sharp".

The similarity of the Model 12 and the Model 101 is so close that you can swap the entire "front end" of a Model 12 onto a Model 101 by removing the hinge screw. Thus I now have a .25 RF barrel on one of my 101s, in pursuit of my .25 Stevens centerfire project.

The only criticism I have is that the hammer is small and light, so the hammer blow isn't much. Fine for .22s, but not enough to set off a .22 Magnum, for example.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    There is a seller on eBay that has a lot of reproduction butt plates for old guns. I looked and there is a Stevens butt plate that just has the word STEVENS in a S shaped form that probably is not the exact style your rifle had originally but if it is near the correct size it does look period correct.

Jedman
    what did you punch in to get the STEVENS in an S, to come up, on FLEABAY, as I want to find the post? if you don't mind?

Might look at Wisner's or Jack First for your buttplate. Just eyeballing mine, it looks like the buttplate for a 1915 Favorite would be a very close fit. Or search "stevens favorite buttplate" on evilBay or Gunbroker.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    uscra112, I found it for $19.95. + ship. thanks for all the help. you guys are great, thanks so much.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=uscra112;5544475]Might look at Wisner's or Jack First for your buttplate. Just eyeballing mine, it looks like the buttplate for a 1915 Favorite would be a very close fit. Or search "stevens favorite buttplate" on evilBay or Gunbroker. sorry but I don't know what you mean look at Wisner's or Jack First,? but found them on the other places you listed, thanks again.

[QUOTE=toot;5544482]
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post

I don't know what you mean look at Wisner's or Jack First,?
    For future reference, they both are parts suppliers

http://www.wisnersinc.com/part-catelog/

https://jackfirstinc.com/

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast