Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IMR 4350 v. IMR 4831, 200 grain Speers, .338 WM.

Boolit Buddy
    "Sitka on Kodiak." My favorite story that has nothing to do with the .338. One of my part time neighbors was up working on his cabin and I stopped by to say hi. At some point we start talking about hunting and he mentions he and his family use to hunt deer on Kodiak. I stepped to the side and checked out his back side. He gave me a ?? look. I told him I was looking for where the bear had chewed his butt. He told me I must be thinking of his father. I gave him a ?? look. He told me his father has the only F&G documented case of successful defense against a Brown Bear with a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    SST -- Super Shock Tip. Meant to expand very rapidly.
    Really, my understanding of this was it was a response to the Nosler Ballistic Tip in light big game (i.e. "deer") calibers, where people thought the Nosler BT was magic (and drove a LOT of sales). The Nosler BT in the smaller calibers expands violently too, though they are built tougher to expand slower in larger calibers.

If using a 338 Federal on something, the SST might be the way to go (lower muzzle speed, lessened expansion at distance as the resulting impact velocity is lower). If shooting deer w/ the 338 WM, the SST may well be fine.

Just about matching the product to the job.
    Unfortunately I think some producers don't really list design impact speeds, or if so not in a useful way.

I do think Hornady lists recommended impact speeds, but I don't remember them telling you 'recommended to do what'. So, still lacking in my view.

BTW: Hornady HP varmit bullets in some sizes make nice deer/antelope bullets in cartridges that launch them slower. Point being: some rapidly expanding bullets do fine on larger game when slowed down.
    I think I missed this for some reason. Basically I've worked up two loads. The 200 Hot Cor with likely 2590ish fps, with 3031; same bullet with IMR 4895 for 2645, that "fine woods deer load" I've seen. Finally, 225 SST to estimated 2600-2650, hoping the low end pans out on range with accuracy and chrony data.

That said, I likely plan to use the SST at the range only to get close on 225 grains, and hunt with Interlocks in the field. I was able to get some 225 (and 250) grain Interlocks, SP for the 225 and SP-RP for the 250. I plan to keep the 225 at around 2650 or the 250 slower, using H 4831 SC. Barnes 250 TSX at 2500 or under is also an option.
    Last edited by huntinlever; 03-21-2023 at 05:38 PM.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    "Sitka on Kodiak." My favorite story that has nothing to do with the .338. One of my part time neighbors was up working on his cabin and I stopped by to say hi. At some point we start talking about hunting and he mentions he and his family use to hunt deer on Kodiak. I stepped to the side and checked out his back side. He gave me a ?? look. I told him I was looking for where the bear had chewed his butt. He told me I must be thinking of his father. I gave him a ?? look. He told me his father has the only F&G documented case of successful defense against a Brown Bear with a knife.
    !
    -Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123