Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moderators...why do we NOT have a cartridge sub category forum?

Boolit Master

attn NO. 1...why do we NOT have a cartridge sub category forum?

is there no proper place to discuss differences in calibers?
    i'm a reloader, gun collector, enthusiast, shooter, and cartridge collector
    since this is the single largest number of people gathered to discuss all my other interests... why not cartridge calibers and their differences?

is the .275 belted and the .275 flanged the same?

is the .30-30 wesson and the .30-30 winchester the same?

how about the .240 belted rimless magnum and the H&H rimless magnum are they the same?

is the 9mm largo and the 9mm bergmann-bayard long the same? ( cartridges of the world says they're different but others say the same)

2 more...

.284 winchester and the .30-284.... ??? same?

.30-338 and just the plain old .338 ....are they the same?

if this is in the wrong area please move it to where you think it's appropriate.
    Last edited by mozeppa; 02-26-2023 at 03:48 PM. Reason: to add thoughts

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post

.284 winchester and the .30-284.... ??? same?

.30-338 and just the plain old .338 ....are they the same?
    Nope and Nope... a 30 from a 284 is not a 7mm anymore!!!
    like a 30 from a 338 is Not a 338 anymore..

Boolit Master

I would support a Cartridge sub catagory as it would be a great benefit to the beginning and not too versed reloaders. I believe that the OP's illustrations were just that illustrations and not questions he needed answered or at lest that is the way I read it. james

Hmmmm.....well, a fast perusal of the forum sub-sections show:

Back Powder Cartrige
    CB Loads/Military Rifles
    CB Loads, your favorite Cartridge
    Factory Rifles

None of these fit your need? I mean, it is basically a CB Forum, right? However, if you can't find a home for your cartridge discussions and need a specific sub-forum you might take it up with the owner, No_1, as creating new sub-forums is something that can not be done by Moderators.

DG

Moderator Emeritus

Someone should make a Master list of calibers and their AKA's
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    this is greatly needed.....my collection has 1200+ entries in it and you would be surprised at the cartridges that are the SAME EXACT CARTRIDGE... and i'm not speaking of 100 different .38 specials ...different only because of bullet design, weights, colors, primer companies, powder recipes, lead, frangibles TMS's FMJ's and the like.
    but has several different actual names.

and when one replier said "we have a black powder sub category" just the cartridges that have the word "nitro" in their name is a world of confusion
    due to SOME of them being made using black powder AND cordite AND smokeless powders and yet they fit in the same chambers BUT being ejected from the "black powder cartridge" forum for not being JUST "black powder" some cartridges are powered by rocket fuel. we really need a sub cat. that deals with the myriad and mind boggling differences in cartridges ,not just for cartridge collectors such as myself , but for those who shoot some of these cartridges that can be mistakenly shot from a old black powder guns with catastrophic results... case in point... smokeless 45-70 cartridges that many times will fit in an antique 45-70 chambered firearms!

and the obvious reason...who on this planet knows more about all the different nuances of cartridges than all the members we have?!

yes this is a CAST BOOLITS forum....but to be clear ... we shoot whatever projectile that can be thought of out of *SOME* kind of canister (cartridge) ...whether or not it's a cast bullet, swaged, solid copper , plastic , rubber , wooden, or what ever you can dream of to send down range and it would help to actually know what that cartridge identifies as ...not JUST and only a CB cartridge.

i guess i'm trying to say we cover most all other aspects of this hobby..casting, case forming, tooling, reloading, smithing...why not identification?

hell yeah!...i'd become a donating member for that reason!
    Last edited by mozeppa; 02-26-2023 at 04:16 PM. Reason: to add thoughts and spelling goofs

Well, a path has been laid out for you......

DG

Boolit Master

I joined in 2006 because of the wealth of information on the site and not just cast boolits. There is an absolute wealth of information and knowledge on here except for the one area being suggested. I thought we were here to help one another in all areas of reloading and shooting, not just those 4 segments mentioned. I understand that the site was originally more tuned to cast boolits but it has evolved over the years to meet the needs of just about all areas of shooting and reloading except that area dealing with cartridge information; history, case dimensions, adaptability, etc.. I consider Cast Boolits to be the best reloading and gun site in the world and make a pest of myself telling everyone so. I understand that No. 1 may not want to spend the funds to program such a catagory and I would understand if that is his decision. After all, it is very hard to improve a site that is almost perfect as is. Almost.
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 02-26-2023 at 07:17 PM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    That would be a handy sticky for all of those 38s ,380s and 19 9mms .
    It might also include a handy guide for keeping things like the 7.62x51R , 7.62x51 , 7.62 NATO and 7.62×51 R separated ...... 30WCF ,308 , 308 GI and 307 Win .

It could include that there was infact a 45 Short Colts which was a logistics solution that was basically a Colts rim on Schofield length case . 45 Long Colts was actually driven by folks wanting the longer Colts over the shorter 45 S&W aka Schofield.

Yeah . It devolves into an unsearchable tome of "what was I looking for".
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Well, a path has been laid out for you......

DG
    did you not see the "ATTN no.1 in my title...my path has not responded.

No 1 is not the primary contributor to the site content. If you see the need for a sub forum and can demonstrate that need I'd be surprised if it's not taken into consideration and acted upon.

Attempting to throw the site owner under the bus over a perceived problem is not going to achieve your stated objective.

Apologies to No 1. I know fully well that he can speak for himself. Just tired of the rhetoric.

Boolit Master

I have a file, conversions.xlt, downloaded from this site. It lists about 1400 different cartridges, and the brass they can be converted from. That would be a good start toward what the OP asked about. except for cartridges that have multiple names.

Just because a cartridge is not your favorite doesn't mean you can not discuss it in the favorite cartridge forum.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

The main title seems addressed to Moderators, and that's why it caught my attention. The secondary title's reference to No-1 did escape my notice, as I had already decided to answer as a Moderator.

No_1 can not possibly read all of the threads and posts that appear every day. That is one reason why he has several moderators. I suggest that you try the Private Messaging system (PM) which he is sure to read sooner or later. That is the path I intended for you to follow. As I have explained, creating new sub-forums is above our pay grade.

DG

Boolit Master
    ok lots of mis communication here...you alluded to a path , but didn't say private messaging sys....ok now i know.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    The main title seems addressed to Moderators, and that's why it caught my attention. The secondary title's reference to No-1 did escape my notice, as I had already decided to answer as a Moderator.

No_1 can not possibly read all of the threads and posts that appear every day. That is one reason why he has several moderators. I suggest that you try the Private Messaging system (PM) which he is sure to read sooner or later. That is the path I intended for you to follow.(but didn't say specifically"messaging system") As I have explained, creating new sub-forums is above our pay grade.(i thought the mods report to no.1)

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    No 1 is not the primary contributor to the site content. If you see the need for a sub forum and can demonstrate that need I'd be surprised if it's not taken into consideration and acted upon.
    Attempting to throw the site owner under the bus over a perceived problem is not going to achieve your stated objective.
    Apologies to No 1. I know fully well that he can speak for himself. Just tired of the rhetoric.
    at no time was i "attempting" to throw anyone under a bus. have i not been clear about my idea? ....i've not "perceived any problem" don't get all touchy feely
    as no personal barb ar intended and should have not been translated into rhetoric.
    who else makes decisions on who contributes IF not only No.1? ....he owns this place...no?
    i thought my idea was/and still is valid.

my only attempt was to add to this site ....if my input perceived as hurtful or is not wanted or needed ....okay, i'll stop .

Boolit Grand Master
    Might I suggest a "Sticky" instead of a sub-forum. I doubt there is enough interest in the topic to justify a sub-forum.

For the folks who want/need a reference, a sticky would seem easy and painless. If the sticky generates a lot of traffic, a sub-forum would be easier to justify.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    It does sound like a good 'sticky'.

A list of cartridges, including their parent cases and aliases. Maybe case volumes too? SP vs LP? SAAMI/CPI/military?

And information on common substitution, eg, 5.56 vs .223 or similar.

Supplied in spreadsheet form as well?

I just know someone out there has something like this in one form or another.

Boolit Grand Master

While I like the idea the limiting factor will be this forums search capabilities or lack of. All of the info is available via google with much more powerful search engines. On this one I fear the devil is in the details. Even a simple spread sheet would be massive. A sticky with hundreds or thousands of individual posts is not very workable. An open spreadsheet would get messed up frequently.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    While I like the idea the limiting factor will be this forums search capabilities or lack of. All of the info is available via google with much more powerful search engines. On this one I fear the devil is in the details. Even a simple spread sheet would be massive. A sticky with hundreds or thousands of individual posts is not very workable. An open spreadsheet would get messed up frequently.
    Not worth much unless easily searchable.. not easily accomplished.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Might I suggest a "Sticky" instead of a sub-forum. I doubt there is enough interest in the topic to justify a sub-forum.

For the folks who want/need a reference, a sticky would seem easy and painless. If the sticky generates a lot of traffic, a sub-forum would be easier to justify.
    Dverna has some excellent points here.
    Mostly, traffic is the magic word.
    We start with a thread, if it warrants sticky status, that will be obvious to the Mods and it will get stuck.

I would suggest starting the thread in "special projects." First starting a list and/or discussion of a list would sure be considered a special project...and there isn't a lot of traffic there now, so a thread will stay on the front page for a couple weeks, if there isn't traffic (comments) bumping up to the top.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    That would be a handy sticky for all of those 38s ,380s and 19 9mms .
    It might also include a handy guide for keeping things like the 7.62x51R , 7.62x51 , 7.62 NATO and 7.62×51 R separated ...... 30WCF ,308 , 308 GI and 307 Win .

It could include that there was infact a 45 Short Colts which was a logistics solution that was basically a Colts rim on Schofield length case . 45 Long Colts was actually driven by folks wanting the longer Colts over the shorter 45 S&W aka Schofield.

Yeah . It devolves into an unsearchable tome of "what was I looking for".
    When I wanted to learn about:
    6.5 x 57 (AKA: 6.5-257rob, AKA 257rob x 6.5)
    and
    6.5 x 57Mauser
    6.5 x 57R

I went to the caliber list at CH4D.
    https://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/caliber-list
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast