Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

View Poll Results: How Many and What Kind of Handles Do You Have?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The bare minimum. 1 of each size I need, and I'll mix brands if they work.

5 10.42%
  • A bit more than minimum: 1 of each size and brand that matches my molds.

7 14.58%
  • A few of each size and brand that I need. I sometimes mix them if it works.

23 47.92%
  • One of every size and brand that exactly matches each mold. I do not mix brands of handles and molds

7 14.58%
  • Handles? I use my fingers. Molds only get a few hundred degrees...barely warm!

0 0%
  • Something else. Please explain.

6 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Handles Do You Have and What Kind?

How Many Handles Do You Have and What Kind?

30 years ago I dipped my toe into casting with several buckets of wheel weights I got from a shop my dad had invested in. After his unexpected death, career, and family, I've just now gotten back into casting. I've managed to acquire more molds than handles and the price of handles has me wanting to go slowly on adding them. I was wondering what is everyone's approach to mold handles.

Boolit Buddy
    I have about 67+ molds from most manufactures. Some are very old like Ideal, Cramer, and Lachmiller. I'm always looking for handles to match newly acquired molds. I get a lot of handles from my local reloading shop as they buy out local estates. I try to keep handles for each my molds.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 molds , all are on their own handles except the last two I bought . I expect that to change sometime next month.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Something else: My only molds are 6 cav Lee and 5 cav NOE so my handles are all Lee. Have a set of handles on each mold. Almost forgot, have a set of RCBS and a set of Lyman 2 cav handles that are on the shelf, don't have any RCBS or Lyman molds anymore.

Boolit Master
    I have lost track of my molds but do not have handles for all of them. Not a big deal to swap handles once in a while. I have mostly Lee handles but do have a couple RCBS and MIHA ones mixed in.

Boolit Master
    I have Lee, Accurate and MP molds. Other than the Lee double cav versions that come with dedicated handles, the all take the Lee multi cavity mold handles, which also includes a separate handle for the cammed sprue plate.
    I have several sets, even though I never cast with more than two molds at a time.

I also have a few sets of MP handles. They’re not as comfortable for me to use (very small hands; someone with bigger hands probably wouldn’t have a problem). To avoid cross threading or bolt head rounding off I keep these metric based handles separate from the Lee SAE based versions.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Not counting all the handles on my Lee two boolit molds, I have three others. One RCBS and two from MP. I can swap out for different steel molds. I like the ones I got from MP. I think they are a good deal, as long as you add them to an order and don’t pay additional shipping. I got two and if I make another order with MP, I’ll have them send me a couple more along with it.

Boolit Master

given a little ingenuity, lee handles will fit about anything
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

No idea, but the only handle I use is a toggle-clamp type I bought a few years ago. Because I don't have to grip it tightly to hold the mould closed, it's actually less fatiguing to use despite the extra weight.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

Several decades back I had a Lyman 2c mould which just "wouldn't"! Talking to a master-caster at club, his first question was the brand of handles I had one it, with his suggestion -- "what the heck?" -- swap a different set of "same" handles just to see if there's a difference. HE WAS RIGHT ON!!! I put on a pair of Lyman handles... and beautiful (for me ) bullets started dropping! To my eyes there was no dif between handles (brand X) which I replaced. However -- lesson learned -- when I spring for a mould, I also buy a set of same brand handles, and once I ascertain they work well... they stay on!
    geo

Boolit Master

I was repeatedly asked for a video on handles. Applications and uses.

Here is what I came up with. Maybe it can help new folks with divisions on how and what ya need.

https://youtu.be/yIp2QoDFTMw
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    given a little ingenuity, lee handles will fit about anything
    I have heard this. Right now there is a vendor on eBay with a three pack of Lee handles for $78.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 molds , all are on their own handles except the last two I bought . I expect that to change sometime next month.
    I think I'll eventually get here, at least for the molds I use frequently.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    I have heard this. Right now there is a vendor on eBay with a three pack of Lee handles for $78.
    mehic was selling them for 20 bucks a pop not to long ago
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I actually have at least one lee 6 cav mold that is without handles. It is a 9mm .356 that cause severe keyholing in 2 of my 9mm guns. So I bought a .38 special mold in similar size and swapped the handles over. In theory I could sell the .356 6 cavity but I hate to create problems for someone else. Call it Karma. I still have it if I ever need it. Just need a set of handles.

Everything else has its own handles from single cav slug molds to lyman .455 double round ball.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    If the moulds are unusual or take a special set of handles, of course they get their own. If it's a set of moulds I use often, they get their own handles. I keep about a half dozen or so other assorted handle sets for the 25-30 or so other moulds that get used on rare occasions. This gives me a total of...
    TOO MANY TO COUNT!

As you cast more, your own practices will tell you how many handles you need.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

Not counting Lee's built in I have RCBS and a Canadian makers copy of such and an adapted Lee, Several Lyman SC handles, several more of there DC handles and at least 4 of their 4 cavity handles. I have one Saeco handle and one LEE modified to fit Saeco. I have a couple of no names handles, but have never used just fingers, not even gloved. My answer is somewhere between a handle for every mold and a few of each. I think I have cut down to around 50 or 60 molds.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Not counting Lee's built in I have RCBS and a Canadian makers copy of such and an adapted Lee, Several Lyman SC handles, several more of there DC handles and at least 4 of their 4 cavity handles. I have one Saeco handle and one LEE modified to fit Saeco. I have a couple of no names handles, but have never used just fingers, not even gloved. My answer is somewhere between a handle for every mold and a few of each. I think I have cut down to around 50 or 60 molds.
    I think I'll end up something like this. Not sure about 50 or 60 molds, but I'm already closing in on 20.

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure how many I have , but last week bought nine more handles at two auctions. They were reasonably priced, and one set had a Hoch .459 500gr mould on the end of it

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

I have approximately 200 pair of handles........................
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast