WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toe original, 'Original KFC' recipe

Boolit Master

How about this: liberally salt and pepper chicken on both sides. Soak in milk or butter milk with a little hot sauce. Roll chicken in seasoned flour (more salt and pepper). Shake off excess and place in deep fryer @ 325* for 20 minutes or pan fry (cast iron skillet 1/2 full of oil) about same temp for 10-12 minutes per side. Check for doneness to adjust cooking times if necessary. Make good gravy with a little grease left in skillet, add flour to brown, chicken stock to thin. That’s my chicken and I’m sticking to it!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    How about this: liberally salt and pepper chicken on both sides. Soak in milk or butter milk with a little hot sauce. Roll chicken in seasoned flour (more salt and pepper). Shake off excess and place in deep fryer @ 325* for 20 minutes or pan fry (cast iron skillet 1/2 full of oil) about same temp for 10-12 minutes per side. Check for doneness to adjust cooking times if necessary. Make good gravy with a little grease left in skillet, add flour to brown, chicken stock to thin. That’s my chicken and I’m sticking to it!
    Hal,
    I may need to make a trip to GA to look at some equipment. I am coming to your place for chicken dinner.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Fried foods used to taste a lot better before, when they were cooked in animal fats, not the seed oils mostly used today. That’s why things taste so much better when fried in bacon grease.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Fried foods used to taste a lot better before, when they were cooked in animal fats,
    Our grocery store has it by the pound. Lard is still out there even in fairly large containers.
    I've seen it in tubs that look like about 2 gallons.
    Ya just have to look for 'em. Or a restaurant supply place will have 50 pound blocks.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    If you live where there is a Mexican grocery store that has a large meat counter they usually make chicharrones then fry other items in the lard. They usually sell the lard by the quart and larger quantities. It’s the best for frying not like the processed white stuff.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Our grocery store has it by the pound. Lard is still out there even in fairly large containers.
    I've seen it in tubs that look like about 2 gallons.
    Ya just have to look for 'em. Or a restaurant supply place will have 50 pound blocks.
    I HATED wrestling those into the deep fryer when I worked fast food for a year... one of my jobs was drain and scrub the fryers the refill them... so much fun moving a tub full of 350 degree oil...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I read these and wonder. I have not seen buttermilk in the stores in about 15 years. Admittedly I don't hit the big chains often but it just isn't something I see so when I see a recipe that calls for it I go "yea right".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    its too bad so many of you live in places where the KFC has gone downhill. I'm not far from Kentucky and all of the KFC's around here serve the real thing and its real good.
    the closest one to me has a sign posted that says all chicken served is grown at some farm I dont remember the name of that is not all that far away in North Carolina . it seems the owner and employees of that store take great pride in serving the colonel's recipe the way it was intended and keeping the place clean too I think the last posted health inspector rating was 98. they sell oven baked chicken pot pie too that is pretty darn good on a cold day.
    on butter milk. I happened to see some today I just kind of took a glance in the dairy case. by chance we went into an Aldi's foods store. milk was like $3 a half gallon and buttermilk was something like $1.25 half gallon. I better take it easy doctor is probably going to give me cholesterol test this month.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I read these and wonder. I have not seen buttermilk in the stores in about 15 years. .
    Here, there's 2-3 different kinds and brands of it.
    I use it a fair amount, and it's the only way to make cornbread.

Drinking it straight still makes me wonder if I like it or not.

I never tried it, but there are recipes around on how to make it yourself.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Very interesting post.

I know you are correct about Col. Sanders.
    There's a few inaccuracies in the post, harland sanders wasn't a cook at a truckstop. He owned the restaurant gas station & Motel he developed the recipe in. He saw the highway coming and knew that his road would no longer get traffic so he sold his business. He took his Social Security check and his recipe and hit the road, He also shot a competing gas station owner when that owner decided to paint over Harland's sign. Ruled self defense.

Cooking came early to him because his mom had to work at the factory and left him at 10 years old with all his brothers and sisters. He brought some bread to the factory and all the ladies squeezed his cheeks and told him what a good boy he was, and he liked the attention from the ladies.

Always the showman and a stickler for quality. A nickel a chicken was the original franchise agreement, Perceived as a mean onry sob if the cooks weren't following his directions, he would cuss the manager/owner in front of the crew either take his pots or bust them up in the parking lot. Wore a lil spoon on a necklace of sorts and it was used to test the gravy during his visits.

As a traveling salesman he came across the pressure cookers and thought I could fry chicken in them real quick, two birds per pot, he'd fry them in seven minutes today it takes 16 for eight birds and a big fryer.

Can't find the original three-part documentary from the history channel for the biography channel but this is a good watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=REDU3AfA4P8&t=3741s

Gave 10 years of my life to colonels dream, made a good livin and learned a lot! every year they took more and more and more of the colonel out of KFC.

Here's a clip from the original five minutes versus an hour and a half

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STbddpUKrlw

Boolit Master

Buttermilk is a staple of southern cooking. I doubt there’s a grocery store in most southern states that doesn’t carry buttermilk, Walmart included.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Fried foods used to taste a lot better before, when they were cooked in animal fats, not the seed oils mostly used today. That’s why things taste so much better when fried in bacon grease.
    Everything is good with bacon or cooked in bacon fat.

If you have ever had to take a 14 day antibiotic regime, The buttermilk will add all the enzymes back to your bowels. Good stuff, I will drink it straight! Do I like it? with enough salt it is GOOD. And I use it to make a chicken batter.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Buddy
    When working as a "short order cook" I made KFC fried chicken (oil and pressure cooker). There is nothing special about the pressure cooker but it is the mix of spices in the coating that makes it KFC. Cooling down the hot pressure cooker before opening is a must!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Chicken at the "Big Chick" in Talbotton Ga will make you forget that KFC existed.

Boolit Master
    well its alive n well here in NZ...BUT even though in theory,just like McDonalds and any other large franchise all stores should be the same and the food cooked the same,its always varied from town to town..one is greasy,one is dry,another has it just right.
    we use one of the internet recipes with slight alteration to lower onion quantity and use no wheat flour as wife is celiac ... cooked in camp oven/dutch oven
    agree with the taste difference between fat on oil... weaner snitzel cooked in lard is devine,cooked in oil its hohum.

I wonder if Soy is one of the original 11 herbs & spices?
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I remember the news saying the Colonel had donated the U.S. KFC to the Easter Seals but keep the Canadian Company. While visiting a KFC close to his first store he tasted some gravy and hit the roof as he said it was only flower and milk, no chicken drippings. That was in the 60's or 70's.

Richard Simmon's buttermilk-ginger-cumin-garlic oven chicken is good enough for me.
    I've always enjoyed KFC but at home we do oh so much better.

Kent Rollins has a good recipe and instructions: https://youtu.be/FtY0zUI7dKc

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12