RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toe original, 'Original KFC' recipe

Toe original, 'Original KFC' recipe

Hmmmm,,, looks like I didn't proof read the title line very well...

Years ago, Mr. Herter---
    yeah, The! Herter's guy went around the country gathering favorite recipes from famous places and people in history.
    He published three cookbooks that I know of and have had the pleasure to read--- then I had to give them back to a friend.

Mr. Herter did a lot of other things besides pioneering affordable reloading equipment.
    He also sold ingredients is small quantities to make commercial cooking recipes at home so they'd come out right.
    Like flour-- You can't make dough nuts like the shops do because you can't buy the flour they use
    in less than 100 pound bags. Even then, you have to know how and where to shop for them.
    He repackaged and sold it in 5 or 10 pound bags through mail order.

In one book, he wrote of Jefferson Davis. He was graduate of West Point, owned a cotton plantation in Mississippi,
    had been the Secretary of War, a Democrat House Representative and later a Senator from Mississippi.

Times change,,,,, and fortunes improve:
    What he called 'the saddest day of his life', he resigned from the US Senate when Mississippi left the Union.
    He later became the President, and Commander in Chief of the Confederate States of America.

During his life, he had severe dental problems.
    Perhaps his favorite food was fried chicken, but his teeth & gums were too sensitive to be able to eat it.
    His family cook figured out if she made regular fried chicken, then ran it a few minutes in a pressure cooker-
    he could still have and enjoy it.

I think that might have been the idea or inspiration Col. Sanders had to make the fried chicken he became famous for
    when he was the cook at a truck stop.
    His biography speaks about him loading up his pressure cooker into his old station wagon when it closed.
    If Mr. Herter learned of the way Jefferson Davis liked chicken, it couldn't have been much of a secret.

The KFC places use a pressure fryer now, but if we do it the way he first did it in our home pressure cookers,
    I think we can more or less duplicate his REAL original recipe using some copy cat recipe for the spices and breading.
    -----And get pretty close to Jefferson Davis' favorite meal.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-25-2023 at 08:06 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very interesting post.

I know you are correct about Col. Sanders.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    OK; I'll bite - what's the recipe ??

Boolit Master

Have all the Herter cookbooks and gave copies to all our kids. Once upon a time they were cheap on fleabay but not too sure about that now. If a person likes to cook I would consider them a must.
    As usual for the time George L. Was laughed at and considered a crack pot but time has proven him to be spot on on many things.
    Facta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    OK; I'll bite - what's the recipe ??
    There's several copy cat recipes for the batter mix.
    But it's more about the process rather than the batter recipe.

None I've found are exactly like you get at KFC, but a couple are real close.
    --the one on the net that calls for spices you never heard of, and the one with powdered milk are gross.

Basically, you make regular fried chicken like always, then zap it in a home pressure cooker for 3-4 minutes.
    The KFC places use a pressure cooker fryer. It probably comes out about the same, but the appliance
    to do that really isn't practical for having in the house. A small cheap one is about $1,000.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-26-2023 at 12:40 AM.

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Have all the Herter cookbooks.
    They're the real deal.
    Another article/recipe I saw it one was the original 'hush puppies' recipe.
    It detailed where it came from, by who, and why it came about.

Another I like is a reprint of the original Fannie Farmer cooking school cookbook from the late 1800s.
    It's the one that doesn't oven or stove temps. but tells you what kind of fire to have in the stove.

EVERYONE!

Moderator Emeritus

IF you have a metal to metal seal(no gasket!) pressure canner/cooker like the All American brand you can pressure fry. It has its dangers and I will not give the instructions. I have done it, it works, but dealing with hot oil under pressure scares the crap out of me!

I have a larger All American pressure cooker. One thing you would have to rig up is a thermocouple in a pressure tight fitting. No way to measure oil temperature otherwise. I'm sure Sanders burnt up a crap ton of chicken getting the flame just right.

Boolit Master

Don’t mean to be a party pooper but Col. Sanders fried chicken does grave injustice to that noble bird! Crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside is the proper way to cook chicken, not greasy throughout. They have a hard time staying in business most places in GA.

Nothing like day old KFC out of the fridge, Will cure a hangover.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    dealing with hot oil under pressure scares the crap out of me!
    No way. I thought you were fearless!

EVERYONE!

I'm with Hogtamer. I think Col. Sanders and Kentucky Fried's day is about over. Almost anywhere else I've eaten fried chicken was better. They still seem to like it overseas, but out west here I've seen several franchises disappear.

DG

Boolit Master
    KFC is alive and doing well here in the south, we treat ourselves to a giant bucket of the original every so often. never been to one anywhere around here and didn't have to sit in line.
    every time there is a big pot luck get together at the town community building theyre are at least a half dozen kinds of fried chicken and at least that many pots of chicken dumplings its always the KFC that is gone first

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    No way. I thought you were fearless!
    I draw the line at a pressurized bomb of flaming napalm that could blow up and burn my house down... plus cleaning the pressure cooker after SUCKS

Moderator Emeritus

KFC is combined with A&W in many small towns in Montana. You usually see a subway but not many other fast food franchises.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

1 frying chicken cut into 8 pieces
    8 cups water
    1/3 cup salt
    1 tablespoon MSG
    6 to 10 cups soybean oil (vegetable oil)
    9 ounces all-purpose flour (2 cups)
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon MSG (monosodium glutamate)
    2 teaspoons granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons ground tellicherry pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground savory
    1/2 teaspoon ground sage
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    4 eggs
    2 cups skim milk
    1. Dissolve 1/3 cup salt and 1 tablespoon MSG in 8 cups water. Add chicken and marinate for 2 hours. Remove
    chicken from brine, rinse with water and blot dry.
    2. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 300° F.
    3. Make the breading by combining all ingredients in a large bowl.
    4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then stir in the milk.
    5. When the oil is hot, dip each piece of chicken in the egg and milk mixture and then press into the breading. Toss
    each chicken piece in the breading until well-coated, let chicken sit for 2 minutes in the breading, shake off the
    excess breading and fry 2 to 4 pieces at a time (or whatever your fryer can hold) for 18 to 20 minutes or until the
    chicken is golden brown. Drain chicken on a rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.
    This recipe is for deep frying. If pressure frying, cooking time will be shortened to 12 to 14 minutes.
    If you want to keep the chicken warm until it's all cooked, place the fried pieces on a rack on a baking sheet and
    keep them in your oven set to 200° F.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Had a guy in my fraternity house back in college whose dad owned several KFC places. This was back in the early 70's. He brought several pressure cookers up to school along with a big bag of the secret spices and breading. The pressure cookers looked like the same ones Mom had at home, only newer. And each one had a KFC nameplate on it. So, I imagine they were a tad different. Every so often, Mason would make KFC for dinner that night in the house. The whole house smelled like KFC and stay that way for several days. Nobody complained.

I remember as a kid, you could be eating the bones and not realize it until you were half-way thru the piece.

Unfortunately, KFC is garbage these days.
    Regards,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeoil View Post
    Unfortunately, KFC is garbage these days.
    They had some places that had both KFC and Taco Bell around here.
    The KFC side was so messed up they lost the franchise in most of them.

EVERYONE!

Well, I guess it isn't just our local KFC having issues. It's been going down hill for several years now. Sad shame, a once great place (depending on how you like your fried chicken). I'm a member of a group on social media that has a local business page for reviewing all the eateries. It's a rare day anyone has anything good to say about the local KFC.

That fried yard bird, ranks way up there on my list of good eatin'!

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Hmmmm,,, looks like I didn't proof read the title line very well...

Years ago, Mr. Herter---
    yeah, The! Herter's guy went around the country gathering favorite recipes from famous places and people in history.
    He published three cookbooks that I know of and have had the pleasure to read--- then I had to give them back to a friend.

Mr. Herter did a lot of other things besides pioneering affordable reloading equipment.
    He also sold ingredients is small quantities to make commercial cooking recipes at home so they'd come out right.
    Like flour-- You can't make dough nuts like the shops do because you can't buy the flour they use
    in less than 100 pound bags. Even then, you have to know how and where to shop for them.
    He repackaged and sold it in 5 or 10 pound bags through mail order.

In one book, he wrote of Jefferson Davis. He was graduate of West Point, owned a cotton plantation in Mississippi,
    had been the Secretary of War, a Democrat House Representative and later a Senator from Mississippi.

Times change,,,,, and fortunes improve:
    What he called 'the saddest day of his life', he resigned from the US Senate when Mississippi left the Union.
    He later became the President, and Commander in Chief of the Confederate States of America.

During his life, he had severe dental problems.
    Perhaps his favorite food was fried chicken, but his teeth & gums were too sensitive to be able to eat it.
    His family cook figured out if she made regular fried chicken, then ran it a few minutes in a pressure cooker-
    he could still have and enjoy it.

I think that might have been the idea or inspiration Col. Sanders had to make the fried chicken he became famous for
    when he was the cook at a truck stop.
    His biography speaks about him loading up his pressure cooker into his old station wagon when it closed.
    If Mr. Herter learned of the way Jefferson Davis liked chicken, it couldn't have been much of a secret.

The KFC places use a pressure fryer now, but if we do it the way he first did it in our home pressure cookers,
    I think we can more or less duplicate his REAL original recipe using some copy cat recipe for the spices and breading.
    -----And get pretty close to Jefferson Davis' favorite meal.
    Been there, done that. In fact, we had pressure cooker fried chicken last week using a recipe that came out as close to the KFC as you could imagine
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast