RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Ball Carbine surplus powder

Boolit Buddy

Ball Carbine surplus powder

I think I've seen this mentioned before, but I have over a pound of this old surplus powder. I load and shoot cast in multiple handgun calibers (mostly full size Rugers), 98 Mauser 8mm rifles, and factory 30-30, 30-06, 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 444 Marlin, and 45-70.

I've done some research and "think" I have at least some idea of what this powder is similar to and what sort of light to medium loads this could be used up in, but would really appreciate in insight or experience from all the accumulated knowledge here on the site.

Thanks, guys.

Boolit Grand Master
    Years ago, a surplus powder was being sold, often in bulk, as “Ball Carbine” powder. IIRC, it was comparable if not identical to another surplus powder, H-108. It was originally engineered for the M1 carbine, and specs that came with the H-108 were for 357 and 44 Mags, 32-40 rifles, and 410 shotguns. Many of us used it for other rifle calibers, especially small capacity cases like the wildcat 32-357 and 32 Miller Short. It compared very closely to Accurate #9, and you might obtain a sample of #9 to run visual and performance comparisons with your Carbine Ball.

I regard it (H-108 that is) as close enough to #9 to cautiously use that data chart, and I’ve worked up loads for heavy bullet 327 Fed Mag by extrapolating that data. I don’t know about any of the larger capacity rifle cases, but maybe someone else can help you there. Do you have enough of it to make it worth your while to experiment with it and develop loads?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Froggie,
    Thanks for the reply. Your info matches what I thought I knew about the Ball Carbine powder. I do have AA9 and will carefully proceed in that direction. I have around 2 pounds of it so yes I've got enough to play with. It's on the shelf between the H240 and HiVel #2. More projects for down the road if I live that long.

By the way, next time you talk to Molly, tell him I said Hello.

Steve

Boolit Master
    Don't have extensive data but the NRA Cast Bullets book lists it in 30/06 for low velocity loads (1300 fps) with a variety cast bullets from 120 to 208 grs. The 120 load was 13 grs and bullets over 165 was 12.5 grs. These loads also referenced IMR 4759 and H-240 as producing the same velocities.

Boolit Grand Master
    Rich, that makes sense... some ASSRA shooters used H-108 for their 32-40 loads, even as I was happily using the now discontinued, greatly lamented 4759. The thing that made 108 stand out was it measured like water. The 4759 on the other hand measured like sticks and twigs.

Boolit Master
    I've done a lot with my WC820 - from what I understand, also called H-108.
    I have successfully used H-110 data; getting good results with full-pressure 357Mag & 44Mag loadings.
    At the risk of simply repeating what the loading books say, there are /very valid/ reasons it should not be downloaded IMO.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Hodgdon-H-108
    https://www.shootersforum.com/thread...don-h-108.664/

The funny thing with my experience, is that my particular lot (perhaps slower than average) was very forgiving of /overloads/ in heavy-bullet 44Mag - but that's another topic entirely. :-/

Bottom line; much of my handloading experience is with so-called 'reduced loads', but H110 et al is literally the only powder I own I wouldn't do that with.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 02-27-2023 at 04:51 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Rich / Froggie, and everyone else kind enough to comment.

The old NRA book was one of the sorces I had also found. I am going to try some at 12.0 to 12.5 grs in a Remington 700 ADL 30-06 with a 311041. Was also thinking of 11.0 to 11.5 grs in an 8mm Mauser with a 321297.

I don't want to reduce loads too much, but what little I have found on this powder it can build pressure pretty fast. Any thoughts from anyone?

Boolit Master
    Hot primers certainly - Winchester would be my thought, that's what I've used.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since I was using it for cast bullets and target Loads (mostly from the bags) I always loaded fairly light loads of H-108 (except one time I got confused and just about doubled them—don’t ask!). AFAIK, I always used Federal Small Rifle Match primers, even though most of my “donor” cases were 357 Mag cases. “Why?”you may ask. Simple, that was the formula I got from Charlie Dell when he built the gun! At a hundred yards through his test tunnel I sat down and stacked bullets in a hole the size of a nickel until I got tired!

Charlie developed the load with an early batch of Accurate #7, sifted for consistent grain size. At his suggestion, I found the H-108 right out of the jug was so close I never searched for his #7 and a set of sieves.

Froggie

Boolit Master

When i bought my WC820 -surplus 30 carbine powder- I was told to use AA9 data.