MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Assistance requested...

Boolit Master

Assistance requested...

I recently lucked into a NIB Obermeyer barrel in .375 caliber. Got a very nice DST Mauser and a pretty good walnut blank.

I want to build a 375 Whelen Improved. Can anyone here point me to a thread here with information as far as matching dies and reamer?

I would like to build a big bore woods walker for NA big game, and reputable tin can killer.

thanks,

Rich

MODERATORS: if need be this can be moved to the appropriate forum.

If it were me, and I had plenty of time on my hands, I'd buy the dies from CH4D and send them off to Manson Precision to make a reamer to match. It won't be quick or cheap but will work. The other option is to get the dies, make a cerrosafe cast of them, draw the chamber you want, and send that off.

Boolit Grand Master

Or buy the reamer, cut your barrel's chamber and re-work a 35 Whelen sizer.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    You should check out the 376 Steyr. It checks your boxes with off the shelf availability of tools and components.

these guys will have everything and know what they do real well... https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/

Quote Originally Posted by slam45 View Post
    these guys will have everything and know what they do real well... https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/
    Only took me six months to receive an "in stock" K-Hornet reamer a coupla years ago. And they charged my credit card the day the order was entered.

I use Dave Manson for all my custom work now. Sent him a reamer drawing for my .25 Stevens project early December 2022, received the reamer about the middle of January. Delivered in half the time his order-taker quoted.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Only took me six months to receive an "in stock" K-Hornet reamer a coupla years ago. And they charged my credit card the day the order was entered.

I use Dave Manson for all my custom work now. Sent him a reamer drawing for my .25 Stevens project early December 2022, received the reamer about the middle of January. Delivered in half the time his order-taker quoted.
    Yep.same here. No way I'd buy another PTG reamer. And I have plenty of them.

Boolit Buddy
    Thats not leaving you much rim. I've had factory Remington 35 Whelen ammo not headspace correctly in a commercially mfg rifle. Improving it will help but there might be a better cartridge to chamber it in. Its awfully frustrating when your super Whelen Mammal Cruncher goes "Click" while pointed at a nice buck. Ask me how I know.... Glad it didn't happen when I shot a bear with it.

I lucked into a custom mauser sporter in 350 mag with an Obermayer tube. I also have 2 308 position rifles with his barrels. I shot hi-power with him a couple of times and had some conversations when I first started swaging match bullets. Good guy and great barrels! Good Luck!