Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 30-06 to 375 Whelen steps...

Boolit Master

30-06 to 375 Whelen steps...

Can someone direct me to a thread on how to expand '06 cases to 375 Whelen?

I just lucked into the find of the decade, a Boots Obermeyer .375" blank that has never been messed with. Been saving this 98 Mauser with DST's and under lever floor plate release for a decade.

thanks,

Rich

Boolit Master

Take the 30-06 case and lube it in the neck and outside.
    Run it into a 35 Whelen die a bit at a time and rotate
    the case to insure concentricity.
    Then run into a 375 Whelen die.
    Reload 10 and then if they split, anneal the cases before loading
    the others
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Moderator Emeritus
    I have used a tapered expander to go from 30-30 to 375 Win. It should be the same as what you are doing.

Boolit Grand Master

Anneal before necking up.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    If you have the primers and powder to allow fire forming the brass, it is awfully easy to use .270 Win brass to form .35 Whelan brass and I would think .375 Whelan would also be possible. The extra length of the formed .270 brass allows for full length .35 Whelan cases to be formed and it is easier with less brass loss than the tapered expander route ( just my opinion). Eight grains of fast burning powder and a wad of paper over dry rice (cheaper than cornmeal ) is about all there is to it. Of course, if the noise is objectionable, the expanded neck method may be your only choice.
    Last edited by wmitty; 02-25-2023 at 09:13 PM.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    I have used a tapered expander to go from 30-30 to 375 Win. It should be the same as what you are doing.
    This is how I do it except I anneal first.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

+3 on the anneal 1st ! We have a couple 375-06 and have been down that trail.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    To answer the OP's original and only question and the question in his OP. "Can someone direct me to a thread on how to expand '06 cases to 375 Whelen?"

There is a section in the next section down that is labeled " Case Forming / Re-Forming ". It is the heading directly above the Cast Bullet heading. You only have to scroll down the page just a little to find it!

For any that need it and want to use one, I have a wonderful selection of "Butt Hurt" forms available that can be shared with all here just PM me.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Take the 30-06 case and lube it in the neck and outside.
    Run it into a 35 Whelen die a bit at a time and rotate
    the case to insure concentricity.
    Then run into a 375 Whelen die.
    Reload 10 and then if they split, anneal the cases before loading
    the others
    Mike
    I've not had good results doing it that way. From 30 to 35 caliber in one step was too much for the Lake City and Federal brass I tried to expand. Got about 53% failure rate going in a single pass, even with incremental rotating of the brass. That was with necks annealed on the gas kitchen stove. Got lots of micro-cracks, visible when held up to strong light.

What worked very well though was incremental resizing first to 8mm, re-annealing a second time, and expanding all the way up to 35 caliber. For 375, I'd suggest a three-step process, first to 32, then 35, and finally 375, with two re-annealing steps along the way.

Banned
    Interesting. I have a set of Hornady 35 Whelen dies. I'm not a big fan of Hornady dies, but these one do the job better then good. The sizer die has a very long tapered expander. I clean the cases, anneal them, but not a full anneal, lube inside and out, careful no lube where the shoulder is going to and merely run them into the die in one swoop. Haven't ruined a one. I guess if you're a little apphrensive to one swoop you could size in increments. After forming my brass and shooting them I bought a LEE collet die for a 30-06 and I made a new mandrel for in to size the necks take the .358 bullets. I'm not saying the inside is dimensioned to .358 as it is a few thousands tigther to have the proper neck tension. I like neck sizing a lot of my calibers. I also converted a 30-06 insert for the Forester inline Benchrest seater to seat my bullets.

Boolit Buddy

Man, I fireformed cases from .30/06 to .400 Whelen in one fell swoop.
    10 grs of Reddot, COW to the shoulder junction, put a piece of broken crayon in the case neck to holdeverything against the primer and "Boom", perfectly fireformed .400 Whelen case.
    I used both Winchester and Remington brass that I had on hand.
    I do not believe I lost even 1 case out of 100.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

The way I did it was with smaller steps 30-06 to 338-06 to 35 Whelen to 9.3x62 then to 375 Whelen. Then fireformed to 375 Whelen AI. I also annealed every second step, never lost a case.