Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moderate 44 mag loads

My favorite load with 44 mag cases is 9 grains of power pistol with Lyman 429421 cci 300 primer.Usually get good groups in all my 44 mag handguns. I think I got this load from a true expert : Brian Pearce in a Handloader magazine article .��

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    My favorite load with 44 mag cases is 9 grains of power pistol with Lyman 429421 cci 300 primer.Usually get good groups in all my 44 mag handguns. I think I got this load from a true expert : Brian Pearce in a Handloader magazine article .��
    in 44 magnum cases 8 1/2 or 9 gr of Unique under the Lyman 429421 or the RCBS has been my standard "medium" load for many years. I developed the load many years ago simply to duplicate the "Skeeter" 44 SPL load [same bullets with 7.5 gr Unique in 44 SPL cases] but in 44 magnum cases for use in 44 magnum revolvers. Back in '09 I pressure tested that load in my Contender test barrel. The average psi [10 shot test] ran 21,100 psi. That load runs 1070 fps out of my Ruger FTBH w/6 1/2" barrel. It runs 950 fps out of my Colt Anaconda w/4" barrel.

BTW; "expert" is defined as "one with special skill or knowledge representing mastery of a particular subject". I would suspect Mr. Pearce falls within that category regarding the loading and testing of numerous handgun cartridges.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    Have my first 44 on the way and am looking at putting a good moderate load together. I'm going to use the missouri cast hi tek costed 240gr rnfp. I'm thinking this bullet around 1050 fps shoot make a good shooter that's not a complete handful. I'd like to use w231 since it meters well and I like it in my other pistol calibers. Does anyone have chrono data with various charges they've tested? Gun is a ruger redhawk with a 7.5" barrel. I also have some blue dot but that would probably be best suited for more upper end loads.
    Hi Mauser48! I see you had many answers, and found a load you liked with W231. I just want to encourage you to test some other load levels. I have found W231 to be a very universal powder for most of my pistol loading as well, so to keep powder inventory manageable, I try to find loads in most calibers which use that powder.

What I found in experimenting with W231 in 44 Mag is that higher end loads are not that pleasant. They have a loud “crack” and a sharp recoil impulse. I do not remember what the max load was, but believe it was around 11.5grs? I found that anything above 9.5grs was not the pleasant, shoot-all-day load I was looking for.

After researching seating depths and 44Special loads with W231, I worked my way down to 6.0grs in 0.5gr increments. Where I found happiness was at 7.5grs. The sharp crack and recoil impulse was gone, and I was getting around 875fps out of a 6” bbl. (S&W629). I do not recall chronographing it in my 6.5” Ruger, but I’d guess from 4”-7.5” barrels would be in the 825fps-925fps range.

I know you said you were looking for ~1000 fps, so my load is below that. I want you to load what makes you happy, but try a ladder test from 6.5 up to the 9.0 you tried, and see where your sweet spot is. It only takes a cylinder-full of each load to decide.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    Studying the Books is Nice.. I much prefer Experiences of fellow Shooters who are not afraid to experiment..
    Great case in Point... What "book" did the 7.5 grains of Unique come from?? Universally accepted, yet Not Published in any book I own...and I have more than a Few books.. Someone experimented, someon else did also.. Figures someplace between 44Spl and Low end 44 Mag load...
    Why I asked about AA#5 loadings.. No Problems... I am doing my Own Diligence..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Studying the Books is Nice.. I much prefer Experiences of fellow Shooters who are not afraid to experiment..
    Great case in Point... What "book" did the 7.5 grains of Unique come from?? Universally accepted, yet Not Published in any book I own...and I have more than a Few books.. Someone experimented, someoneelse did also.. Figures someplace between 44Spl and Low end 44 Mag load...
    Why I asked about AA#5 loadings.. No Problems... I am doing my Own Diligence..
    Doing your own diligence is a great thing to do. The books had to have been created by someone who experimented. They just didn't happen. Someone started out with a cartridge using a bullet, case, powder and primer and a gun. So experimentation had a birth. That birth gave way to loading companies that published books on loads. The 7.5 gr Unique has worked for many years by many people. Since it has worked so well for so many people for so many years it really doesn't need to be in a book. Wouldn't hurt any but it doesn't have to be.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 04-16-2023 at 06:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I suspect the reason we don't see Skeeter's 44 SPL load [7.5 gr Unique] published in manuals is because the SAAMI MAP for the cartridge is 15,500 psi. There is no +P 44 SPL as that psi range is left to the purview of the 44 Magnum cartridge. Based on my own pressure testing of Skeeter's load depending on which 240 - 250 gr cast bullet is used, the psi will run 19,000 to 24,000+ psi.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

The Lyman 45th gave 8.0gr of Unique under the #429421 and 7.9gr under the #429244. The later manuals were lower and Alliant shows 6.9gr of Unique with a 240 or 250gr lead bullet.
    Just sharing the loads from my favorite manual with my favorite powder...............

This is in the.44spl…………
    Last edited by ddixie884; 04-29-2023 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Clarification
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Mold
    8.5 - 9.0 unique with 240 - 260.
    7.5 HP38 240.
    No leading issues. Recoil is not bad. Changed out the ribbed grip for a Hogue. Did not like how the ribs reacted in my hand.
    Purchased some 250gr cast HP for a woods/trail carry load.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently tried a new load and found it very satisfactory for a mid range 44 magnum load using the Keith swc , H&G 503 . I wanted to try Hodgdon's Titegroup . I had a couple of pounds and decided to give it a try . On their website they list 5-10 grs . I went with 8.0 . I am not interested in going any higher , accuracy was great , moderate recoil and I feel it would take of business if called up on .

Boolit Mold
    I know you didn’t mention Universal but that’s my choice for a mild 44. I go from 8-10 grains withe a 240 grain SWC. I’ve killed two whitetail deer with the 10 grain load. It worked well.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to shoot a lot of 2400 in my 8" python but after a lot of rounds the darn gun locked up and upon disassembly I found that unburned 2400 had locked up the whole lower cylinder lock and trigger mechanism. This was a near max load too. 2400 is a good powder but make sure to fully disassemble every so often to clear out the unburned granuals. I never had this problem with my M29, probably because I don't shoot it as much.

I have a bunch of .44 SPL and Mag loaded with 700X and Unique but haven't shot it due to an eye problem that getting better now so this spring I will get my .44's out to the range soon, now that the temps are above 60.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Gilmour View Post
    I know you didn’t mention Universal but that’s my choice for a mild 44. I go from 8-10 grains withe a 240 grain SWC. I’ve killed two whitetail deer with the 10 grain load. It worked well.
    l

Universal is very near to unique in burning properties and burn rate. In strong guns “ Magnums” it can be used practically interchangeably with Unique. In non-magnum calibers, universal it’s not as forgiving of pushing the envelope on pressure as unique. it can be a little spiky at max pressure in things like the 38 Special. I use 9gr of either in .45 Colt with 255gr sec in my 625 Mountain gun.
    Last edited by ddixie884; 05-03-2023 at 03:59 AM.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

First read this thread after about 4-5 replies and my first thought was 44 Special loads in magnum brass.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    in 44 magnum cases 8 1/2 or 9 gr of Unique under the Lyman 429421 or the RCBS has been my standard "medium" load for many years. I developed the load many years ago simply to duplicate the "Skeeter" 44 SPL load [same bullets with 7.5 gr Unique in 44 SPL cases] but in 44 magnum cases for use in 44 magnum revolvers. Back in '09 I pressure tested that load in my Contender test barrel. The average psi [10 shot test] ran 21,100 psi. That load runs 1070 fps out of my Ruger FTBH w/6 1/2" barrel. It runs 950 fps out of my Colt Anaconda w/4" barrel.

BTW; "expert" is defined as "one with special skill or knowledge representing mastery of a particular subject". I would suspect Mr. Pearce falls within that category regarding the loading and testing of numerous handgun cartridges.
    What he said...............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    First read this thread after about 4-5 replies and my first thought was 44 Special loads in magnum brass.
    Works really well for me also...Warm Spl loadings = Moderate Magnum... Only reason to use Special Brass...Is For my Special Gun!!!

Boolit Buddy
    To me moderate 44 magnum loadings are/should be a step above warm special loads. A 240 gr at 1000 fps is a warm special load, and that still leaves a 400 fps gap to a full on magnum load. 1050-1150 fps with a 240-265 gr bullet is a moderate magnum load to me, and capable of just about anything a handgun can do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    To me moderate 44 magnum loadings are/should be a step above warm special loads. A 240 gr at 1000 fps is a warm special load, and that still leaves a 400 fps gap to a full on magnum load. 1050-1150 fps with a 240-265 gr bullet is a moderate magnum load to me, and capable of just about anything a handgun can do.
    Right... Kieth/Skelton 44Special loads but in Magnum Brass

44 Special performance in .44 Magnum brass avoids fouling the ends of the chambers, which can make subsequent Magnum cases a little sticky. I still have some swaged 240 grain .429 SWC, Speer and an unknown brand, that lead if pushed too hard. In 7 1/2 and 8 3/8" barrels, I find that 8 grains of Accurate #5 gives around 880 FPS and 10 grains is close to 1000 FPS. Both are pleasant loads. Those bullets lead if pushed faster. I bought a closeout 6 hole Lee 430-255-SWC mould years ago and have a lot of those cast. I'll keep on with them for moderate loads when I shoot up the old swaged ones.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    44 Special performance in .44 Magnum brass avoids fouling the ends of the chambers, which can make subsequent Magnum cases a little sticky. I still have some swaged 240 grain .429 SWC, Speer and an unknown brand, that lead if pushed too hard. In 7 1/2 and 8 3/8" barrels, I find that 8 grains of Accurate #5 gives around 880 FPS and 10 grains is close to 1000 FPS. Both are pleasant loads. Those bullets lead if pushed faster. I bought a closeout 6 hole Lee 430-255-SWC mould years ago and have a lot of those cast. I'll keep on with them for moderate loads when I shoot up the old swaged ones.
    I really like that 255 Lee alot... Shoots great in SBH and Contender...The Lever action Ruger??? Not so good at feeding!!! Oh Well, maybe I reduce the loading and try deeper seating

Boolit Master
    Back when I had a 6.5" M29 my favorite all day shooting load was 8.0 grs of Unique under whatever 245-250 gr SWC mold I had at the time. Not sure of the velocity but was accurate and had enough power to kill a pop can dead with one shot, LOL.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast