Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what have they done

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A friend of mine had been working on the King Ranch in Texas, and was heading back to Montana. The roads were closed in Texas due to snow. A highway patrol man stopped him before he entered the highway he needed to go on, and was informed the road was closed. My friend asked what for? Snow, of course! Then the patrolman looked at his Montana license plate, and waved him on his way.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_4x4 View Post
    And most importantly: In winter, never, under any circumstances, eat yellow snow.
    Or hardened Chocolate Peanut Clusters one might find in the snow.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    in response to the original question: schools are using the authorized snow days>

BUT, yes, we are raising a bunch of sissies!!
    My wife has been off and on Subsitute Teaching in Northwest Montana. "SCHOOL RULE" - Unless it's less than 10 degrees Fahrenheit; all Students WILL go outside for recess and breaks!.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    We may well be raising a bunch of sissies-----but I would like to point out ---IT AINT THE KIDS THAT ARE CLOSING THE SCHOOLS !!! When the schools are closed just look around and see all (or most) of the kids sliding down a local hill.
    R.D.M.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    A friend of mine had been working on the King Ranch in Texas, and was heading back to Montana. The roads were closed in Texas due to snow. A highway patrol man stopped him before he entered the highway he needed to go on, and was informed the road was closed. My friend asked what for? Snow, of course! Then the patrolman looked at his Montana license plate, and waved him on his way.
    I had that happen entering IA on the way back to MN. They had traffic going into a rest stop but the cop saw my plates and waved me thru. 2" of snow on top of a little ice, not bad, did 45mph thru it... until I crossed I 90 in MN. We found a motel and spent the night. Started bucking 2' drifts and even with the 4wd Ford E250 van on 33" tires it was to much for decent traction... after going airborne a third time over a hard packed drift my friend suggested stopping. I think he was tired of me bouncing his head off the roof! Friends in back were complaining they were getting seasick LOL We packed 6 people into the only open room we could find. Drank beer, watched movies, motel had their own pizza place so had pizza delivered... we always found a way to have a good time!

Moderator Emeritus

It had to get really bad before they closed schools when I was growing up... and they waited until they gt in enough hours to call it an official school day. Teachers expected us to do the work and catch up when we got back to class in 2-3 days.

Right now the town kids have class, and any farm kids on paved routes. The gravel farm roads are still impassable with 6'++ drifts. Farmers are clearing sections to help but it will take the weekend to get them all opened back up. Heard a dozen snowmobiles head behind my house over to the school so some of the closer farm kids came in via that way.

I had a paper rought at 10 years old with 240 customers with 10" of snow At 4:00 in the morning and a bicycle was a pain! Went to school the same morning after a hot shower. We all have our story's. Kids today do not have any Ideal to how to even ride a bike, Ohio In the 60s.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    ... When the schools are closed just look around and see all (or most) of the kids sliding down a local hill.
    This is exactly what happened during my high school years. When the outside temperature dropped to minus thirty degrees Celsius, my school was closed and the students were allowed to go home. And while the parents of the students were at work, all the children played and had fun on the street. Too bad this didn't happen often.

Yes, and yet, at low temperatures, the indicator of air humidity and wind speed is very important. Well, in the city and in the countryside, the cold is tolerated differently. The countryside is colder.

And you can’t be careless in an unfamiliar area: a few years ago, my wife’s school friend went to a sparsely populated village, where she bought a house, to ski in the forest. I went for a ride in the forest in the evening, got lost and froze to death. And all she had to do was take a compass and matches with her.

This winter in my city is comfortable: the average temperature is minus 5 - 8 degrees Celsius, the air humidity is traditionally high, but the wind (if it happens) is moderate. And there was enough snow this year for winter snowdrifts. It's a good winter for me.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Master

This is exactly what happened during my high school years. When the outside temperature dropped to minus thirty degrees Celsius, my school was closed and the students were allowed to go home. And while the parents of the students were at work, all the children played and had fun on the street. Too bad this didn't happen often.

Yes, and yet, at low temperatures, the indicator of air humidity and wind speed is very important. Well, in the city and in the countryside, the cold is tolerated differently. The countryside is colder.

And you can’t be careless in an unfamiliar area: a few years ago, my wife’s school friend went to a sparsely populated village, where she bought a house, to ski in the forest. I went for a ride in the forest in the evening, got lost and froze to death. And all she had to do was take a compass and matches with her.

This winter in my city is comfortable: the average temperature is minus 5 - 8 degrees Celsius, the air humidity is traditionally high, but the wind (if it happens) is moderate. And there was enough snow this year for winter snowdrifts. It's a good winter for me.
    Sorry you died.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Sorry you died.
    I missed that one until you pointed it out.

My son lives in Billings and said he took the dog for a walk, 0 degrees, he had on short pants and a jacket, all he said was his ears got cold and he wishes he had worn a hat. He hasn't said they've closed the schools, I know he's been at work teaching every day.

He did say when it got down to about 10 below he and his wife still took their dog on a walk and but they didn't dawdle like they usually do. Most likely the dog took them for a walk.
    I'm glad not all kids grow up to be a pansy.
    Here in Ashland they close the schools if it's too hot, too cold, too windy, too rainy, or....
    just a possibility of any of the above. We get a hazardous weather warning if it may snow an inch overnight. Sheesh.

Boolit Man
    I'm 59 all my children are out on their own but I remember it took some pretty bad weather before they cancelled school and if there were too many snow days they added the days to the school year. Now my GF and I are raising her grandchildren, we live in the country and the kids ride the bus and it seems if we get more than a couple inches of snow the bus won't come down our road if its not plowed! I don't get it! And a guardian has to be out at the end of the driveway to put them on the bus and when they get off as well! Plus they have a bus monitor on the bus besides the driver..... We never had that! Our driver had eyes in the back of his head and had no problem kicking a little butt when needed! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by xd45forever View Post
    bus won't come down our road if its not plowed! I don't get it!
    Probably a liability issue and the school district's lawyers/administrators got that limitation put into their procedures.
    Since the kids aren't wearing seat belts--
    Crashed and rolled over school busses make a mess, and look really bad on the evening news.

More often than not, these 'One size fits all' laws and regulations are like what I've heard about
    the clothes you get when you join the Army. They only seem to come in one size---- too big.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-25-2023 at 04:41 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Sorry you died.
    These are the features of the work of the Google translator program. I spoke about the fate of the woman with whom my wife went to school together.

Do not judge strictly my way of communicating with the audience on this forum.

Using the translator program for a long time, I came to the disappointing conclusion that artificial intelligence has no brains, probably like the programmers who created this program.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

These are the features of the work of the Google translator program. .
    As complex as both languages are,,,, different words that mean the same thing, a single word that can mean different things,
    and some things that pretty much don't translate at all with out an explanation:
    I cut it some slack and all things considered-- I think it does a pretty good job.

You just have question it sometimes when it goofs up and tell yourself, 'No, they didn't really mean it that way'.

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    As complex as both languages are,,,, different words that mean the same thing, a single word that can mean different things,
    and some things that pretty much don't translate at all with out an explanation:
    I cut it some slack and all things considered-- I think it does a pretty good job.

You just have question it sometimes when it goofs up and tell yourself, 'No, they didn't really mean it that way'.
    Edward, I don't have time to study English, but I want to communicate in English. Therefore, Google translator (as the best of what I have seen) is my choice. I appreciated the advantages of this program and I know its shortcomings. I also came up with a technology for using this program: first I translate the text from Russian into English, and then I translate the resulting translation from English back into Russian and see how much the meaning of what I said has changed. Then, if necessary, I edit the text in Russian in order to adapt it as much as possible for translation into English. And the cycle repeats.

And in the case of an incorrect translation of my text, I did the same and everything was in order. And you see the result yourself.

And as for the idiomatic turns, context and polysemantic words - I completely agree, this is not for the mechanical translation of words, and even grammar and punctuation will not help here to the fullest. When the program starts asking me questions during the translation, I will be surprised, but I admit that I am observing the rudiments of artificial intelligence.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

first I translate the text from Russian into English, and then I translate the resulting translation from English back into Russian and see how much the meaning of what I said has changed. Then, if necessary, I edit the text in Russian in order to adapt it as much as possible for translation into English. And the cycle repeats..
    Well, that sounds like a lot of work for such little rewards as you often get doing something we all take for granted.
    I for one appreciate your efforts.

With countries being kind of small, and many with their own ethnic extraction and languages,
    I've learned it's common for people over there to learn and speak multiple languages.
    Here, we spend our spare time watching about 200 different channels on TV that are at least 95% trash.

Anyway:
    It's darn interesting to see the perspective of those in different places and cultures.
    I've read a little bit about firearms restrictions being slowly lifted over there, and hope that does well for your business.

My Dad would hear of someone's success story and often comment,
    "It's good to see the little guy win once in awhile".
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-25-2023 at 03:01 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master
    Alex, don’t get too concerned about it.

If we tried to communicate in Russian it would be a joke...in fact, some on this forum do not do well in their own language.

BTW, you do much better than the translator function on YouTube. I can barely follow some of the videos you post.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    My kid, in their 30's now, never had a snow day from k-12. Even when there was a 15" snow. My Jeep Wrangler came in handy then. Nowadays, its different. Had a 9" snow and they closed school for two days. Even a 4-5" snow will do it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    First Liar doesn't stand a chance.
    Ain't that the truth! heehee!

bgokk Benefactor Member NRA
    The second amendment is the guarantee for all the other amendments...........

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I've read a little bit about firearms restrictions being slowly lifted over there, and hope that does well for your business.

My Dad would hear of someone's success story and often comment,
    "It's good to see the little guy win once in awhile".
    You know, the most liberal legislation about weapons (by the standards of my country) was in the USSR under Stalin, then under Khrushchev they began to "tighten the screws" and this continued from Brezhnev to Yeltsin. The law "On Weapons" was adopted in Russia in 1996, and with numerous amendments (improving and / or worsening this law) it still exists today. And I don’t have a business, I have a hobby that provides me with cash receipts for life. If I tried to turn my hobby into a business, I would very soon be either bankrupt or possibly a defendant in a criminal case.

As one not the most stupid person said: "Tourism and emigration should not be confused."

Yes, and your father was absolutely right, and not that it "wins", but that it happens "from time to time". It is always pleasant to remember, "having fallen and smashed your face on the pavement," that there were moments in your life when you "stood upright and not with a broken physiognomy." Such memories stimulate once again "to get up and move on."
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast