WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what have they done

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    At Quantico, I had a kid from Detroit working for me.
    All summer I heard, "Nobody can drive on the snow but me".
    I tried to tell him it was different here. It isn't just snow, which is sort of like driving on a dirt road.
    Here, we have ice to go with-- on, and even under it. And we also have 'black ice' you can see until you're on it.

It was like giving singing lessons to a pig..... I got more of 'nobody can drive on the snow but me'.

The morning of our first storm, he was late getting in.
    Finally, him with his beloved Police surplus Fury III on the back of a wrecker got in. It had been rolled over at least twice.
    I asked him if he had been teaching some one how to drive on the snow.

.... No,, That comment did not move him over into his happy place.
    Any time I hear that I wonder what else they're lying about.

10-15 years ago on Cape Cod we had a blizzard on a Sunday night and those folks who "know how to drive in snow" had a record number of accidents Monday morning. As Cape winters do, Tuesday warmed up and most of the snow was gone by Wednesday night, just in time for another blizzard. Thursday morning, the drivers who still had cars set another accident record. Apparently it only took two days for them to forget how to drive in snow.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Got to 84degF just east of Raleigh, NC today. Had to turn on the AC.

If we wanted heat in school we had to bring our own fire wood.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

And most importantly: In winter, never, under any circumstances, eat yellow snow.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    It's not hard to figure out. Some Karen would sue the school district and win if their kid got hurt getting to school due to poor road conditions.

So they cancel classes.
    That is it in a nutshell.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    in response to the original question: schools are using the authorized snow days>

BUT, yes, we are raising a bunch of sissies!!

Boolit Grand Master

Did things peter out farther east? This is one of the gnarliest blizzards I've been through. Visibility wasn't that horrible, but it wasn't great. The amount of snow plus 50 mph winds have created snow drifts I've only seen a few times before. Lots of roads closed. There's no way a school bus would have made it through some of the stuff that's out there. With the continued winds, I haven't even seen plows out except in the city, and on major highways.

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    in response to the original question: schools are using the authorized snow days>

BUT, yes, we are raising a bunch of sissies!!
    After all the Covid BS you would have thought they would have run out of snow days a long time ago.
    I still think Alex_4x4 had the best responce.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    First Liar doesn't stand a chance.
    Wow that's true
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Reading stories of kids (1850s) in northern Missouri. If the snow was over the fence, the sleigh could go over it. Otherwise took the wagon. School was 3 miles away and they went barefooted in decent weather - shoes were saved for 'when needed'. Wagon BLANKETS (plural) was a true thing. They didn't want to miss school - it was WARM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I did have a job studding snow tires. Studded my own for my 1966 Chevy II, with 6 cyl engine. The studded snow tires were great, till they got banned

Funny, funny, all sort of funny, sort of....we walked 1 mile to catch the school bus, one of those compact models that would maybe hold 12 passengers, and it was uphill both ways, as the first half mile was downhill, and the second half was uphill. That was in the summertime, but in the winter when it snowed the lady bus driver refused to come closer than 2 1/2 miles. So under those circumstances we either walked the entire distance in the snow or home schooled.

Are we raising sissies today? I don't know......a lot of them are certainly "different". Few go in the military any more, and some aren't sure which bathroom to use. Hard to get a handle on the percentages, as the ones who are "different" get so much publicity. Then, you can take a look at some places like Chicago where 50-some schools had no math or writing proficiency at all---so maybe it doesn't matter if they can get to school or not.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    First lesson:
    1. Don't drive 60 mph on ice.
    Actually, that's about it.
    We don't have magic tires up here in the "snow belt" either.
    At one time we could have "studded snow tires".
    I even had a "gun" for studding them, looked a lot like a caulking gun, think I may still have it.
    Studded tires were outlawed many years ago, I haven't even heard much about "snowtires" in many years.
    Snow tires were back before radial tires took over the industry. Before that, it was bias ply tires. Refers to the way the tire is constructed. I won't get into details because it's a bit complicated but the benefit to a radial tire is lower rolling resistance which has 3 major benefits. Increased fuel economy, longer tread wear for the same rubber compounds and increased traction.

The biggest problem is people don't replace the tires on their vehicles when they should and then when rain and snow events occur they loose control because on top of having worn tires they drive like the pavement is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Got to 84degF just east of Raleigh, NC today. Had to turn on the AC.
    On the west side of Denver it got to a balmy 8° today from -13°F last night. The schools had a late start today.

Boolit Master
    I think you might find the reality of the educational system most of our school departments have standards lower than nearly all of the other civilized countries in the world.
    if a child has no desire to do the work to learn all they can in school they can still graduate because the school boards do everything they can to make it easy just to try and keep the attendance numbers up to maintain funding.

One of the local banks here in town had a "delayed start" as the operator quoted me when I called... at 10am this morning. I was there to do business at 8:30 am. There was MAYBE 3 inches of snow at their location... you would think I live in Florida... but nope, Maine. I have been a customer of this bank for almost 30 years and the ONLY reason I still bank there is a woman named Judy... she is the last familiar face, once she leaves, I'm done. No if's, and's, or buts. Local help isn't cutting it these days so they hire J1 or H21 visa workers (not sure of the actual titles) but I can tell you that the "local" help here isn't so "local" anymore. So damn sad.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_4x4 View Post
    And most importantly: In winter, never, under any circumstances, eat yellow snow.
    Coor's is a famous brand of beer here.
    Their home is in Colorado, and they used to advertise it was made from water that came all pure melted snow.
    (It never was. They used the city water supply like everybody else)

After that advertising campaign came out, everybody called it 'wolf wizz'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I run all-season tires most of the year but switch to dedicated snow tires for winter. It makes a real difference. We still have studded tires available but I haven't used them in years. For a while I used sawdust retreads- they worked well also.
    Loren

Boolit Master

Living in the snow belt of western NY, we know about snow....ugh! Cheryl & I have both been driving Subaru's for 30 years now; Yes, I know, Japanese product, but they're made here in the USA over in Indiana. At least American families have incomes to pay bills, etc. But, even with all wheel drive, we run snow tires year 'round. The last set I replaced gave me 45,000 miles of wear, and I've found that they give as much, or more, traction as all-season or "summer" tires even in the summertime. Saves us the expense of having two sets of tires per vehicle.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Living in the snow belt of western NY, we know about snow....ugh! Cheryl & I have both been driving Subaru's for 30 years now; Yes, I know, Japanese product, but they're made here in the USA over in Indiana. At least American families have incomes to pay bills, etc. But, even with all wheel drive, we run snow tires year 'round. The last set I replaced gave me 45,000 miles of wear, and I've found that they give as much, or more, traction as all-season or "summer" tires even in the summertime. Saves us the expense of having two sets of tires per vehicle.
    What kind of tires are those? Most real snow tires are shot in 20000 miles, or get hard by 4-5 years. Whichever comes first. Driving them in the summer would wipe them out in no time

I suspect you actually have all terrain tires with a winter rating.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast