Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Italian 1894;s compared to pre 64 94;s and post 64 94.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Since IDK how to say "Winchester" in Italian, I'll be stickin' with a genny....

can you say it in japanese ??

I’d stay away from Uberti’s. I’m suspect if the metallurgy. A post above reinforces my opinion. I had one of their El Patron pistols and sent it back because the sights were off. They called me and said it had the worst case of gas cutting they’d ever seen. I assured them I only shot black powder in it. They replaced it. A year later, the new Uberti peened so badly around the firing pin hole the cylinder would bind due to the primer flowing into the recess. Again, I was accused of shooting hot loads, but again, there had never been a smokeless load through the pistol. They replaced that one. When my current Uberti fails, I’m going Colt of Standard Manufacturing

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I own a Uberti handgun. I will never buy another Uberti anything again.
    If you want a 94 buy a pre or post winchester, or a Miroku.
    i have several ubertis and they are flawless. whats your gripe

I for one appreciate this thread. I've wondered about the Italian copies of the 1894 myself.

My opinion, and the opinion of friends that have ubertis of other models is that they are questionable. I've not owned a uberti made gun. My buddy trades a lot and has had a lot of minor issues with ubertis. He also likes to disassemble any gun he gets and polish and tweak things. I like to have my gun function without having to give it a spa day. I would hate to get a uberti and fall in love with what I thought was a fine firearm, and find out that it wouldn't hold up to extended use, so I have stayed clear.

My opinion of Uberti's come from experience with several of them. I currently own one Uberi rifle (1866) and six Uberti revolvers. I've bought, shot and sold probably a dozen more, finally settling on what I've decided to keep now. There was nothing wrong with any of those I sold, I just whittled down what I no longer shot.
    The only two things I've done to any of the revolvers is replace the bolt/trigger spring with a wire example. Doing so gets the nearly perfect timing perfect and shaves 12 - 16 oz. off the trigger pull, and cut the forcing come to 11°.

I've also owned four 3rd Generation Colt's, two in .44 Special and two in 45 Colt. They all had beautiful color case hardening but the fit was close to that of the Uberti's. All four of them were over sprung and three of the four had gritty actions. The cylinders of the two 45 Colt's had throats that were as large as .457", which of course is bad news for we cast bullet shooters. So why would I pay 3x the price of a Uberti for revolvers that need far more attention than just a "spa day". So think about that if you decide to buy a 3rd Gen 1873 Colt.

I also owned four American-produced USFA's; a consecutive pair of CCH .38 Specials, a Rodeo in 45 Colt and a CCH in 45 Colt. I never fired the .38's as they were far too valuable for that. The .45 Colt's we accurate, but absolutely no more so than my Uberti's. So again, why pay 3x - 4x the price of a Uberti for a revolver that is beautiful, but functionally is no better than my Uberti's?

The Standard Products are for sure beautiful, and were they chambered in .44 Special, I'd be sore tempted. But will they do anything a revolver that cost 1/4 the price do??

Regarding metallurgy of the Italian firearms, put on your Google-foo and look up C.I.P. and their proofing standards for members firearms. We needn't worry about the strength of Italian firearms.

I'm currently in the market for a '92 in .44 Magnum. Rather than get a Rossi or gamble on a Browning or Winchester, I'm saving my pennies for a Cimarron.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    My two sons and I each bought a Cimmaron Evil Roy directly from Evil Roy himself. All 3 were 4 3/4” .38/.357’s. Two of them were very nice; well finished revolvers with tuned actions. However my younger son’s revolver’s cylinder would not rotate all the way when we were loading it. It seems that the rim of the cartridge was hitting the frame not allowing the cylinder to go any further. We found this disappointing on a revolver that was supposed to have been tuned by Cimmaron’s expert (yet unnamed) gunsmith. Anyway, we took it back and Evil Roy agreed to send it back for repairs. In a couple of weeks it came back and while it would work it looked as if someone had crudely taken a grinder and gouged out a bevel in the frame that allowed the cylinder to rotate when loaded. Not impressive work. However the other two are as nice as my 3rd generation Colt, maybe nicer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12