MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freezing of Group buys

Freezing of Group buys

Has there been any change regarding group buys being frozen ? As I understand it they were frozen in September 2022 and are still frozen as of February 2023 because the manufacturers are not providing products, is that correct ? I'm asking because I am considering adding a machining center for custom moulds, and trying to sort out whether it is worth the investment in the equipment to post an offer to take over production of items for those who are already committed to unfulfilled orders, or whether to just open a new online site to offer the service. Feedback appreciated. Thanx.

Vendor Sponsor

I'm intrigued with your post. As one of the honchos, and specifically the one who went over to visit Miha at his shop last month, I'd like to talk with you further.

Currently the site owners and MP are trying to work through a solution, but so far, it is not complete.

PM me if your interested in talking further.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I think you could stay busy selling quality molds

Boolit Master
    Any chance iron/steel molds are in the running?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I think you could stay busy selling quality molds
    Absolutely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. (Steel is in the running.)
    Last edited by mpkunz607; 03-15-2023 at 04:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    You say you are think of "adding a machining center for custom molds". Does this mean you already have a business involving gun related stuff? Anybody that knows me here knows I tend to be the guy who is the skeptical one. What you are proposing take money, a lot of it and the return on that investment will take a long time to pay off. I am not a person that like group buys myself since when I want a mold I want it now, not years down the road. So if you do this will you also be able to cater to people in general?

Boolit Master

following with interest
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    following with interest
    +1 !

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    You say you are think of "adding a machining center for custom molds". Does this mean you already have a business involving gun related stuff? Anybody that knows me here knows I tend to be the guy who is the skeptical one. What you are proposing take money, a lot of it and the return on that investment will take a long time to pay off. I am not a person that like group buys myself since when I want a mold I want it now, not years down the road. So if you do this will you also be able to cater to people in general?
    Hmmm... no comments in about three weeks. Like you, I have seen and even participated in a few ventures from folks here with some being outright lies. Be careful folks.
    Last edited by MrWolf; 04-07-2023 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Tablet went bonkers

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by mpkunz607 View Post
    Has there been any change regarding group buys being frozen ? As I understand it they were frozen in September 2022 and are still frozen as of February 2023 because the manufacturers are not providing products, is that correct ? I'm asking because I am considering adding a machining center for custom moulds, and trying to sort out whether it is worth the investment in the equipment to post an offer to take over production of items for those who are already committed to unfulfilled orders, or whether to just open a new online site to offer the service. Feedback appreciated. Thanx.
    No change in the group buy status.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Vendor Sponsor

Hey guys - I've been talking with mpkunz607 for the last month about the possibility of getting into mold making. He is a sincere person and is trying to put a plan together to make this work. We spent time together on a meeting one evening a week ago and I gave them a ton of necessary details to making this work. The idea would be to start small and run one mold that has been a big favorite for years. Once that is executed successfully for all parties involved, grow to include additional options.

NOTE- this might never be a conventional GB, as noted in the previous post from Robert, the process is still closed. So there would also have to be a process setup for listing interested folks for signup.

There is a lot to this, to make it work. please be patient - I know he is well intentioned, have all the machining skills necessary and is putting a business plan together. It will take several months to get things rolling, but at this point, I think its possible and I stand beside him in taking a shot.

Thanks,
    Chris
    (Lakehouse2012)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Hmmm... no comments in about three weeks. Like you, I have seen and even participated in a few ventures from folks here with some being outright lies. Be careful folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    Hey guys - I've been talking with mpkunz607 for the last month about the possibility of getting into mold making. He is a sincere person and is trying to put a plan together to make this work. We spent time together on a meeting one evening a week ago and I gave them a ton of necessary details to making this work. The idea would be to start small and run one mold that has been a big favorite for years. Once that is executed successfully for all parties involved, grow to include additional options.

NOTE- this might never be a conventional GB, as noted in the previous post from Robert, the process is still closed. So there would also have to be a process setup for listing interested folks for signup.

There is a lot to this, to make it work. please be patient - I know he is well intentioned, have all the machining skills necessary and is putting a business plan together. It will take several months to get things rolling, but at this point, I think its possible and I stand beside him in taking a shot.

Thanks,
    Chris
    (Lakehouse2012)
    All it really takes is an update post now and then, just like you did. Communication goes a long way. Thanks.

Chris asked me to post something. There isn’t much to add to what he has said. First, thank you to honcho Chris (Lakehouse2102) for reading my post and contacting me through private messaging about the possibility of pursuing making moulds. There are a couple things I will add to his post.
    1) My original post in February was a request for feedback to assess the business viability of filling the long outstanding orders, and was in no way a presumption that all we need to do is write a post about Group Buys and we’re off and running. We are not sanctioned by the forum. So let me state right now a “Thank You” to forum owner No_1 for his response. It is not yet time for a behind-the-forum discussion about whether Group Buys will even return. That is still months away and obviously we will abide by whatever terms are in place, whether orders are filled here or on a new and not-yet-established website.
    2) The item we identified in our discussions as having the most potential for being a success right out of the starting gate will be to make a limited option offering on this one -“Rerun – Mihec 359 147/150 HiTek Heavy 9mm Competition bullet." Originally honcho’d by Wasalmonslayer 4 years ago. Its easy to find under “Active Group Buys” >> “GB Run by Wasalmonslayer”. Do not ask about “limited option” at this time, that will be elaborated on at the appropriate later date.
    3) As Chris stated, "It will take several months to get things rolling". Without going into two pages of business related production details, to pull this off we need to coordinate the operation of 3 different types of CNC. We cannot fit a new product into the existing scheduled production at least until the end of summer, perhaps early autumn. I don’t even have a finished CAD drawing right now for the cutters, and the lead lead time for the custom made carbide cutting tools we will need is weeks, not hours or days. We need to work out the rest of those cutter geometry details with Chris in another behind-the-forum conversation. There are materials supply issues now that did not exist before covid.
    I can’t think of any other information that is necessary for the forum members to have at this point that would help us make this happen any faster. So for now please be patient and just sit tight, and when something worthy of posting happens there will be an update.

I have about half the CAD work done now. That will not make scheduling the manufacture happen any sooner, but there is progress being made. FWIW.

Boolit Master
    I am more than a bit confused here. I had asked in the last go round if molds you make would be available for purchase right away without waiting a year for a group buy and I got no answer. Sorry, but as a lot of people on here will tell you I say it as I see it. Some people take offense to that but I am not trying to offend you. You are now saying that you are halfway through the process of making the Mihec 359 147/150 HiTek Heavy 9mm Competition bullet. This is the part that confuses me. Keep in mind that I never did the group buy thing so I am not familiar with all the mold makers. But isn't this mold made by Miha? And didn't Chris just visit him last month? And Chris is the one pushing this? So you are making someone elses molds while they are still in business? Maybe I have this all wrong but this whole thing is kind of fragmented in presentation. Maybe part of my skepticism is due to the fact that we, or at least I, have never heard you say what you do. Are you already an established business making molds? Are you an established machine shop? A little background would go a long way towards easing peoples questions. Think Expansion industries and their primer promises! I said the same thing about them and people told me I was wrong. The only thing coming out of that place now is overpriced ammo, most of it from other makers. The original owners folded and ran.

Vendor Sponsor

Hi Rick,

Let me clarify- I designed that mold originally. Miha cut molds off my design.

Technically, because I posted the design on a public forum with no intentions of intellectual property, it's open source.

The gentleman interested in making molds here in the USA is just starting the process which will take time to get going. No one has promised molds be immediately available.

I personally am trying to promote new makers in this area.

This isn't a group buy. He's just testing the water here on this forum for interest.

PS- I'm going back over to see Miha in a few weeks.

Chris

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks for clarifying the maker issue Chris. But still no word on the qualifications of this person. It is going to be hard to get people behind him without letting them know who he is and his background if he is going to be asking for their money. Been too many upstarts that "took the money and ran" deals lately. Am I skeptical? Yes, Very much so. Remember all the hype with Expansion Industries and their promise to make primers for the regular shooter and not supply the big companies? When that was reported I told the guy (Turkeys Opinion) that I did not believe it. For the very same reasons I have stated here. I even got a call from the guy running Expansion and I told him the same thing. Well, you see what happened there, those owners folded and sold out to the group that owns it now and all they have is overpriced ammo reboxed from other companies. I want to believe that there is someone else out there that will start supplying molds, I really do. But I also want it to be someone that will supply to the common guy at the range and not just the high end benchrest shooter. All the secrecy is pointing to just that or that he really does not have the resources to do this. I see Miha is now back in the game so that will change things I guess. Maybe I am the oddball but to me no mold is worth waiting years to get.

Vendor Sponsor

I will put in my 2 cents....
    Mold maker is a way of life not business....

Last 2 years are testing my nerves to the moon and back.
    -waiting times for materials (when I started this it was up to a week - now at least 3 months)
    -waiting for cherry cutter up to a 2 months (Imagine that first try is not in specification...... another 2 months.....etc)
    -No one is prepared to work any more
    -My working week is 7 days (at least 10 hours per day)

I can continue, but I have work to do
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Master
    Sounds like there are too many if's if this and if that. So until some of the if's are answered then you can get better group buys organized.

The if here is there a demand for group buys on this forum?

I'm interested but for me it would be for hollow points of some types.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast