Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Freezing of Group buys

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mpkunz607 View Post
    In defense of Accurate, and I would not know them from Adam & Eve, in all likelihood the reason that his stock bullet designs all have the same meplat is probably because he has only a handful of cherry designs, or maybe even just one, to make all of his bullet profiles. LEE at one time did "custom" molds but even their so-called custom work was clearly from LEE as most bullets had similar geometries.

So I just looked at the Accurate page of bullet profiles and I can tell you that actually appears to be the case. The different calibers and weights come from the magic of adjusting the gcode to get what you want in the cut. Which means its very likely that they have made a business decision to stick with that cherry geometry because adding others or changing the existing design would affect other aspects of their business model. Just a guess.
    If I'm not mistaken I believe that Accurate lathe cuts his moulds. We asked him one time why he didn't do a smaller meplat or even a more pointed bullet and he reply was because of tool bit chatter.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    following with interest
    +1!

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken I believe that Accurate lathe cuts his moulds. We asked him one time why he didn't do a smaller meplat or even a more pointed bullet and he reply was because of tool bit chatter.
    Yes you are mistaken he uses a CNC machine. It's been a long time since I asked about why he couldn't do a round nose. .18 really isn't that bad

Sent from my 9048S using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Getting another company into the group buy group would be great. I understand the difficulties in the CNC machine shop process. Getting a proven design into the process can take awhile and you need the right people to do it.

I've wanting another 147 grain 9mm mould for awhile, but it needs to be 8 cavity.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    Yes you are mistaken he uses a CNC machine. It's been a long time since I asked about why he couldn't do a round nose. .18 really isn't that bad

Sent from my 9048S using Tapatalk
    I think that it is you that is mistaken. This is what it says on his site: "Accurate Molds offers CNC lathe bored bullet molds in aluminum, brass, and iron. Choose from our extensive catalog of existing designs, or submit a custom design of your own." It's a lathe that is CNC controlled so I'm right saying he cuts his moulds on a lathe.
    Last edited by TD1886; 08-12-2023 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    Getting another company into the group buy group would be great. I understand the difficulties in the CNC machine shop process. Getting a proven design into the process can take awhile and you need the right people to do it.

I've wanting another 147 grain 9mm mould for awhile, but it needs to be 8 cavity.
    https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-359-147-bb/

Like this?

Tom at Accurate has told me that if the calibre (or base, in the case of boattails) is too small, or the Meplat is too small, the tools cannot be made rigid enough or strong enough to provide good cavities on his CNC Lathe....

Bob

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    No. I already own that one. I'm thinking about a NLG. MP has those also, but the shipping is really high.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    No. I already own that one. I'm thinking about a NLG. MP has those also, but the shipping is really high.
    The shipping for MP moulds is a deal-breaker for me. I can buy similar American-made moulds from NOE or Accurate for the same price, but then again I don't want all the fancy hollow-point pins and such that MP offers. He does seem to have a corner on the market for some unique designs.
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodtroll View Post
    The shipping for MP moulds is a deal-breaker for me. I can buy similar American-made moulds from NOE or Accurate for the same price, but then again I don't want all the fancy hollow-point pins and such that MP offers. He does seem to have a corner on the market for some unique designs.
    Been a little while since I ordered a MP mould, but last time I think it was around $12 which I though very reasonable considering where it came from. I also got them faster then any company in the U.S.
    No I don't work for him. I just think he's a subperb machinist and I like the moulds I bought from him. The bullets from them were easy to get shooting very well.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    Been a little while since I ordered a MP mould, but last time I think it was around $12 which I though very reasonable considering where it came from. I also got them faster then any company in the U.S.
    No I don't work for him. I just think he's a subperb machinist and I like the moulds I bought from him. The bullets from them were easy to get shooting very well.
    Yep, time has changed things. Cheapest shipping on a four-cavity mould I had in my cart was well over $30 ($32 or $35, I don't remember which).

But most folks do agree that his moulds are a work of art, although there are a couple of folks on here who've had bad experiences, same as with any manufacturer.
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

A short update. Had an ablation for a-fib, so a little setback recently. Back on track now. Poured concrete, have a pre-made building ordered, so end of summer being the earlies is not going to happen, but we are probably on track for the end of the year or early 2024.

Boolit Master
    Always nice to have options. I will keep this thread marked.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123