Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over size bullets

Boolit Bub

Over size bullets

So I did a bone head move. I cast some bullets, powder coated them, and forgot to run them through the sizing die before loading them. I am using the Lee 6 cavity 45 cal 230 grain round nose tumble lube bullet mold. The bullets are measuring .455-.456. Hardness is 11 bhn. These are to shoot in my 1911. Do I need to pull all these bullets and size them or should they be ok to shoot?

Oversize bullet diameters.

If loaded ammo chambers, i would shoot a few as a test. But only if the powder charge is a starting load, less then maximum.

To size loaded rounds, might try Lees Factory Crimp die. Best to pull bullets and size, if only 50 or less .

Boolit Bub
    I loaded 100 before I realized I had forgot to size them. They do fit in a cartridge gauge and chamber in the pistol. I am using these for wild bunch competition so they are loaded pretty light, 3.9 grains of WST, right around 700 fps.

I would shoot them. Take a chamber brush incase shaved lead or coating builds up in chamber mouth.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    I would shoot them. Take a chamber brush incase shaved lead or coating builds up in chamber mouth.
    That could create a severe leading problem also if the PC is shaved off.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Will accuracy be ok for your wild bunch competition?? May be an issue?

When i shot Bullseye pistol matches, ammo had to group into 3" @ 50 yards. Needed to be perfect.

Good advice above.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogan1 View Post
    So I did a bone head move. I cast some bullets, powder coated them, and forgot to run them through the sizing die before loading them. I am using the Lee 6 cavity 45 cal 230 grain round nose tumble lube bullet mold. The bullets are measuring .455-.456. Hardness is 11 bhn. These are to shoot in my 1911. Do I need to pull all these bullets and size them or should they be ok to shoot?
    How much has your dies sized the bullets after loading? Pull one and check. If they will chamber, I would shoot them.
    I like 11 BHN alloy for my 1911's.

Boolit Master
    As Larry mentioned, shaving the PC off is the question. If you have a good tapered throat and the shoulder of the bullet will enter OK, then you should be good.

I've had bad experience shaving PC off bullets (9mm). The resulting poor accuracy and mess in the barrel was not worth the savings.

Boolit Master
    surprized they chamber that big

Vendor Sponsor

You aren't going to hurt the gun or the barrel with that combo. If they feed and chamber, shoot them!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I would not bring them to a competition. Load some new ones for the competition. It's never fun to have an issue at a competition.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Tumble lube boolits are designed to load without sizing.

Boolit Bub
    I agree to not shoot them at a competition, they are just going in the practice box. I am working with my lead mixture to make the mold cast the weight I want. If you aren't familiar with wild bunch competition there are several factors at play. You want the least amount of recoil but still maintain minimum 150 power factor. I have tested both 200 and 230 grain bullets, 200 gr at 760 fps and the 230's at 695 fps. I can't tell much difference in felt recoil. My mold was dropping the bullets at 243 grains and shooting the same powder charge as the 230's felt recoil was about the same but the point of impact dropped several inches. I added linotype to my lead to get to where the bullets are dropping at 232-233. My mix is 1 pound of lead and 4oz of linotype. Am I on the right track?

Linotype will reduce the weight & add to as cast bullet diameter. Should be close to wheel weights- "My mix is 1 pound of lead and 4oz of linotype." Plus coated, good to go, I guess.

If good at math- https://www.redding-reloading.com/on...-moulds-charts

Boolit Master

The 4:1 mix of lead and lino should yield an alloy of 96-3-1, just about what WW alloy is, as 243winxb has stated. For a .45 ACP bullet that should work really well. If the ammo will pass the "plunk" test, shoot 'em!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Bub
    Shot the bullets today with no adverse effects.

Boolit Master
    That gun must have an oversize chamber.

Boolit Master
    If you taper crimped the boolits then they were likely sized down in the case. They might not be too far of from what you wanted in the first place.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    That gun must have an oversize chamber.
    I have a hard time believing he really did chamber a .456" bullet. My guess is the brass sized them down during seating.

Boolit Buddy
    How was the accuracy? I am guessing they could be very good. Wallacem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast