RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: What length jacket for 224 weight

Boolit Bub

What length jacket for 224 weight

I have a die that will derim a 22 mag like the 22 spent case. The result is a 1.260 jacket. I use a Lee case trimmer with an 8-32 allen bolt turned down to fit inside the jacket to trim jackets. I chuck the case in a cordless drill and hold the trimmer by hand. So for the guys who sort this may be helpful.

My question is what length jacket do you use for what weight bullet or core weight to jacket length. I have the corbin swage kit that does fine with most 22lr jackets for HP bullets. I use a lee mold I drilled to make cores.. I have a lathe and mill so adjusting depths for core weight is no problem.

Boolit Buddy
    The nose profile would make a big difference on what you're asking. Using the corbin .930 jacket, rebated BT, and a VLD point form die I am not able to make an 80gr open tip match bullet. 70-72 gr is about it. Now if I were to use a flat bottom and or a 6S nose I could probably get the 80gr I am looking for. Best bet is to experiment with your dies and lead.

The full length of a 22 mag jacket and a 6S ogive will get you about 115gr to 120gr flat base of 110gr to 115gr rebated boat tail. As stated above, jacket length and weight will be varied by the nose profile though.

Boolit Master

you can probably extrapolate some of your answers from this link. JBM Ballistics Table of Bullets based on Diameter, Weight, Length, Manufacturer. The Manufacturer column is not constant as some entry list manufacturer/type/base type/or other info. Still may help with your efforts. At one time; there was a Corbin Table with similar information - but have not seen that table for several years.

https://www.jbmballistics.com/ballis.../lengths.shtml
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, for the info. I have made a couple of reamer stops for my lee case trimmer. Not sure I want to make to many. So I'm headed to the lathe to make an adjustable one. This will allow me to make them from .500 to over 1.00

Next will be drilling new holes in my core mold. I'm not sure where I left off. There's a formula on here I used. It's not far off, just a little light. My cores were to be 45gr. but they come out about 44gr. I drilled the hole deeper the other night. which gave me 50gr roughly. I would like 52gr. then swage them to 50 to start. Ultimate goal is 65 with the 22mag jacket. then go up 2gr at a time.

My dies are old corbins flat base HP 6-ogive made for spent rimfire 22.