Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: H&R Officer's Model Trapdoor shooting

H&R Officer's Model Trapdoor shooting

Got my rifle back from the smith last week. I had the "self-ejecting auto opening" issue with my rifle for over a decade. I finally just pushed it to the back of the safe and moved on. Well, I got ready to fix it. I found a smith in Newberry Park CA named Ron Roark. A very nice and capable gentleman. He removed the old set screw that holds the breech block opening lever in place. It was sheered. He drilled a recess into the lever shaft and installed a new set screw. Bingo! it worked. Now the action stays shut.

I loaded some 420 grain paper patched slugs over 68 grains by volume of BH 209. At the range, they shot into 3" at 100 yards. If I had a set trigger and if I spent more time on load development, I'm sure I could shrink that group.

The gun is pleasant to shoot. The BH209 did not build up fouling. I shot twenty rounds without wiping and there were zero chambering issues. Finally, after 12+ years, the gun is reliable and, I'm getting to enjoy it. Oh, the total cost of the fix? $85
    Last edited by omgb; 02-23-2023 at 12:40 AM.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

There's a lesson there.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Sadly, yes. I should have fixed it long ago
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow